Goodbye Buell Blast

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i was looking through the other buell bikes and think i have found the bike that smoked me a few weeks ago in the twisties. pretty sure it was a lightning, i can tell by its beady little eyes.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Lightnings are awesome in twisties!! :D

Thanks for the link HowlFZ6, that was some funny sh*t! The video is cool too lol

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Wow. I am so glad to see them crush that pathetic abortion of a motorcycle.

Not that I'm against small bikes for training. They have their place.

But I worked as a mechanic maintaining a fleet of Ass Blasts for a dealership. These bikes were used for Rider's Edge, and they saw it all.

So, here's what happens when a bunch of beginners get hold of this "beginner's bike."

They drop it.

They drop it on the left side, taking out the turn signal stalks, the mirror, the flyscreen and headlight brackets, and bending the footpeg bracket so that it touches the primary cover. They also bend the shift shaft, which passes through the primary cover.

To replace the shift shaft, remove the primary cover. Ever tried to get a primary cover off of a bent shift shaft? I don't recommend it if you enjoy life.

Then there are the riders who drop it on the right side.

They do the same damage to mirror, signals, footpegs, etc. But with one added bonus. See that black plastic tumor on the right side of the bike? That's the airbox. It's bolted to the carb. So what happens when a couple hundred pounds of oversized go-ped lands on that airbox? It shoves against the carb. The carb shoves against the engine. The rubber boot holding the carb to the cylinder head fractures around 270 degrees of its perimeter. And now the bike will not run until it is replaced.

And as a final insulting feature, the muffler on that POS is so close to the engine that you cannot remove the drain plug for the primary drive all the way. You can get it loose enough that it'll drain, but then it pisses a quart of oil all over the muffler. That smells real good the next time you start it up.

Eric Buell may be proud of crushing the bike, but I have to ask, why did it take him so long to figure out that the bike was total garbage?

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
That is one innovative way to discontinue a product! Usually, a line discontinuation (like when GM stopped Olds a couple of years ago) there is some sort of half-muttered embarrassed thing. Buell looks proud of it! Uses it as a way to build up his brand. Classy.

My first bike was a Blast. I bought it with 32k miles, sold it at 35k miles. I do have some nostalgia for it as it was the first one, and it was easy to ride, lightweight, looked kinda retro-simple-cool (IMHO), got 50 - 55mpg, and cheap. BUT:
* Acceleration a highway speeds didn't inspire confidence that you could shift lanes and not get rammed up the arse by someone behind you.
* Tiny tank and no fuel guage meant you better not let it go over 100 miles without a fillup.
* Low revving/torquey engine (not sure which) meant that it was easy to lock up the rear wheel if you downshifted too early.
* Mirrors buzzed like crazy at highway speed. With in-depth study of what was shaking around in your mirror, you could tell what was going on, but you'd have no idea what was happening in front of you.
* Unreliable. It was basically falling apart at 35k miles. The dealer said they weren't supposed to last over 20k miles, and there was no service directions beyond 20k.

They did have a dedicated following, however. Lots of enthusiasts had them for what they were, not for a beginner bike.