Good HID conversion kit

kevincomanche14680

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about getting brighter lights for my bike so I can see better and be seen better. I saw very few conversion kits for the fz6 2008 model on e bay and amazon, and almost none in well known online bike retail stores. I know there are different temperature lights and I was thinking the cool blue 10,000 K-I think it is.

I was just wondering what is a good kit, what kits to avoid, what is a good price for a good set, and how easy is the install? I think there are projector lights too that I saw, but I think those might not be as good.... Idk, you guys tell me.:confused:

Thanks,

Have a good day! :rockon:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
go with DDM tuning right there in San Diego. all these guys basically sell the same stuff and it is all made in China. DDM just seems to offer it for less $

My personal opinion on color? if you are going above 6k in the color spectrum to achieve "cool" blue, you are going to look like a squid.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
go with DDM tuning right there in San Diego. all these guys basically sell the same stuff and it is all made in China. DDM just seems to offer it for less $

My personal opinion on color? if you are going above 6k in the color spectrum to achieve "cool" blue, you are going to look like a squid.

I have heard the same, i have yet to stop by there and pick up a set because i wanted to have actual projectors.

Uniquemotolights.com sells a sweet projector HID kit i want to buy but for some reason the site is not working. It was last month lol. They sell an awesome kit for the fz6 but unfortunately cant link you to it. Here is the guy who runs it http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150051&highlight=borka+hid maybe you can pm him or something.

Last edited:

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with a kit from The Retrofit Source (full kit with mini-H1 projectors). It was pricey but worth it. Also, keep in mind that the higher the color temperature, the lower the light output (e.g. 10k will have lower light output than 6k).

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I would suggest reading this thread over on SportBikes.net to learn a little(it sure taught me a lot). I believe the OP in that thread is also a member here, so he can chime in as well. IMO, projectors are the only way to go, I personally won't be putting HID bulbs in by stock reflectors.

Ultimate FZ6 Projector headlamp retrofit! - Sportbikes.net

In the end, it boils down to building your own kit like he did or buying a pre-made kit. Either way, you can do that from The Retrofit Source. Or if you're going to piece together, you can do that from Ebay or other places and likely save money.

Kit for Motorcycles: Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

FWIW: One of these is the route I'm going to go when headlights bubble to the top of my list of mods. I'll decide when I get there.

Last edited:

kevincomanche14680

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with a kit from The Retrofit Source (full kit with mini-H1 projectors). It was pricey but worth it. Also, keep in mind that the higher the color temperature, the lower the light output (e.g. 10k will have lower light output than 6k).

Thanks for telling me about the color temp and light output, I just assumed the higher the number the brighter. :rolleyes:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for telling me about the color temp and light output, I just assumed the higher the number the brighter. :rolleyes:

quite the contrary. the higher up in the kelvin scale you go the less usable light you will have.

I like the 5k bulbs the best. The 6k bulbs are just a touch of blue and also look nice.

But get a look at this chart for help deciding

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
quite the contrary. the higher up in the kelvin scale you go the less usable light you will have.

Yes, generally. And there are a couple of other factors. Night-adjusted eyes see blue MUCH better that non-night-adjusted eyes. Daytime-adjusted eyes see yellow and red a fair bit better than blue, but night-adjusted eyes see blue a little better than red or yellow. And individual variation is a pretty huge factor for some. For me, even when adjusted to night, I still don't see blue real great. I have 4300K HIDs in my cage, plus floods that i can turn on and off. Turning on the floods is almost like turning on the headlights. I'd like to put halogen bulbs in projectors, but heat is a problem so I stick with last century's reflector design and halogens--for now. The color sensivity changes with age too, though I forget how.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I can't help you pick out a good kit, but like the others, I recommend a lower color temperature, and definitely going with bixenon HID projectors.

I have 4500k bulbs in mine and they are awesome. It is truly incredible to see how much they light up the road.

I keep meaning to adjust my lights outward to get better coverage, but haven't done it yet. When I ride windy back roads at night, I'd like to have more beam pointing to the sides, and the FZ6 allows that adjustment. I think I have more than enough center coverage overlap.

Also, I personally wouldn't do angel eyes if I had to do it over. You can't see them (at least my yellow ones) with the headlights on, and I really don't sit around in the parking lot much with the key just turned on.... Would have saved some wiring headache too.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
cycle gear has a kit from speedmetal for 55 bucks worth checking out if your just going for brighter but if your trying to get leds and retrofit its a little different just make sure you know what your looking for, upgrades can go vary from bubls to full hid kits :rockon:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
VVME.com offers great kits that are super affordable. They also have an awesome dual function H4-3 bulb that has an anti glare cap and switches between high and low beam with an internal solenoid. Therefore, there is no waiting for a second gas cartridge to heat up as the bulb only has one which simply moves forward and back.

I recommend the 6K light temp because any hotter and you get too blue and start losing usable light. Also, I would definitely go with a 55 watt kit over 35. VVME offers slim fit 55 watt ballasts which are really tiny and can be hidden almost anywhere.