Good Helmet for wind protection

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an HJC CL-SP. I like the helmet, but it feels like whenever I go above 40 mph, it creates a windstorm in front of my face. If I'm wearing my contacts, it dries them out pretty quickly. As you can guess, that starts to be a problem other than discomfort.

I'm working on a Jerry-rigged fix for now, maybe some sort of gasket to keep the wind from blowing up into it. Does anyone have experience with a helmet that keeps the air calm inside it?

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Jerry-rigged, hey I can do that:thumbup:
Have you tried a chin curtain? Should have got one with the helmet.
I have a Shark RSI and get very little wind inside, might have something to do with my beard acting as a wind shield:BLAA:
That's the answer, grow a beard:D:D

Jerry

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Shark RSI and get very little wind inside, might have something to do with my beard acting as a wind shield:BLAA:

Jerry

When I had an HJC, It didn't come with a chin curtain. But that is the answer. the problem I had with my HJC was that it tended to lift at high speeds. Felt like it wanted to pull my head off above 70 mph when I rode the cruiser. No problems at all with my Shoie but that is a more expensive lid.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an HJC helmet and it didn't come with the chin curtain or breath guard. I had thought these things were standard because they came with other helmets I have bought.

My suggestion would be the same, I know they make them for HJC helmets and they don't cost that much so you could try to get them and I'm sure it would help your situation.

I've been looking at the Shoei fo rmy next helmet, I just didn't have the extra money to buy one at the time.

Last edited:

pipnash

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Arai Chaser and wind noise is bad I also have a Shoei Z1 (old but still a good helmet) and that's no better :( I fitted an MRA vario screen to see if that made a difference and to be honest it did but not as much as I would have liked. MCN (here in the UK) did an article on helmets and the Schuberth came out tops for noise levels, incidentally the Arai got just 65%

There seems to be deals around for the S1 and R1 Schuberth making what is usually a very expensive helmet great value at around half price. I guess now they have the C3 there must be a sales drive on selling off the older models.

That's just my opinion and I am sure there are plenty of other superbly quiet helmets out there but come pay day its the Schuberth for me :thumbup:

djstrong

Reaction score
Visit site
I Bought an HJC CL-11 and later got a Scorpion EXO-700.

I like the HJC, but the Scorpion was much better for everything, including "wind" inside the helmet. Somehow, the scorpion has more internal airflow, but less tubulance inside arround the eyes. The Scorpion is also quieter.

I only paid $108 for the Scorpion from STG, but graphics are limited at the low price.

Fizzer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Do yourself a favour & buy an AGV Stealth...... No , zip , ziltch , zero wind buffetting whatsoever :thumbup:

what he said lol....

ive just ditched my arai chaser due to wind noise after just 12months of ownership, and got myself an 2010 AGV S4 sv, lovley helmet no wind noise compaired to the arai.

also and agvoice kit on the way:rockon: which in this helmet these moulded in routes for the battery and wiring most thought out helmet ive ever tried... But i will miss the luxury arai liners.:(

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had an HJC, It didn't come with a chin curtain. But that is the answer. the problem I had with my HJC was that it tended to lift at high speeds. Felt like it wanted to pull my head off above 70 mph when I rode the cruiser. No problems at all with my Shoie but that is a more expensive lid.

If your helmet wants to lift it is too big....not a good situation. A proper sized lid will stay put even at speed. I've had Arai's, Shoe's, and now an HJC FS-15 carbon and can't say I've ever had wind problems in front of my face. I don't wear contacts, just sunglasses, so perhaps I don't notice it as much. A chin curtain may help, but probably won't solve the OP's original problem. Perhaps wearing contacts is not the best way to go.....any chance of wearing prescription glasses? I wear prescription sunglasses and have no problem.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
If your helmet wants to lift it is too big....not a good situation. A proper sized lid will stay put even at speed. I've had Arai's, Shoe's, and now an HJC FS-15 carbon and can't say I've ever had wind problems in front of my face. I don't wear contacts, just sunglasses, so perhaps I don't notice it as much. A chin curtain may help, but probably won't solve the OP's original problem. Perhaps wearing contacts is not the best way to go.....any chance of wearing prescription glasses? I wear prescription sunglasses and have no problem.

You may be right, it was my first lid and was simply bought on line for price. The Shoei fits much better and I got help at the shop I bought it at. Tried on many helmets of many styles to see which fit my oddly shaped noggin. :)

I wear contacts. Have for both helmets. The one complaint I have on the Shoei is that when I ride with the visor open at it's smallest opening, I have a high pressure flow directly into my nose and eyes. That causes excessive tearing and makes it uncomfortable to breath. The HJC seemed much better in that regard and I would typically ride with the visor at it's smallest opening with the HJC. This is with and without sun glasses. I like the high air flow in the helmet. I was thinking this morning about pulling the chin screen off and seeing if that corrects the problem.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site

Jerry

I have a beard! :rockon: Although it's not a mountain man beard anymore, now it's trimmed near stubble. I found the ladies don't like the caveman look, even as rugged as it is. :D

I have an HJC helmet and it didn't come with the chin curtain or breath guard. I had thought these things were standard because they came with other helmets I have bought.

My suggestion would be the same, I know they make them for HJC helmets and they don't cost that much so you could try to get them and I'm sure it would help your situation.

I've been looking at the Shoei fo rmy next helmet, I just didn't have the extra money to buy one at the time.

That's exactly what I thinking of making, I didn't know that they already sold those. Looks like this will be my first attempt at a fix.

Do yourself a favour & buy an AGV Stealth...... No , zip , ziltch , zero wind buffetting whatsoever :thumbup:

I'll look into that. Know of a place online that has a good price? I didn't see any on newenough, and my local dealer has a crap selection.

... Perhaps wearing contacts is not the best way to go.....any chance of wearing prescription glasses? I wear prescription sunglasses and have no problem.

That's what I'm doing now while I try to come up with a fix. The problem is that it's annoying to have to deal with while putting on/taking off the helmet. Plus glasses aren't too great with rigorous activity, which includes work, or if I want to go to a gym, go hiking, etc..

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to try to the chin curtain, but I've been thinking about a new helmet anyway, so I probably eventually do that in the future.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a great idea , thanks for posting :thumbup:

Thanks for the rep points :thumbup:.

The Windjammer also cut down on noise and kept my face warm in Winter time. Also of note, is that because of the retained heat, it also makes the helmet more likely to fog. I was very useful on my HJC helmet.

I no longer use an HJC but now have a Shoei. I had it on the Shoei for a long time. Since it's been very hot here in NH, I've removed it from my helmet and put the Shoei chin curtain in hopes of allowing more air in. The Shoei doesn't have the wind buffeting behavior of the HJC.

Dennis

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep I think I will try that wind curtain instead of just the chin guard. I figure if that doesn't work, neither will the chin guard, so better to just go with that instead.

Although now after some research I really am eying a Scorpion EXO-700.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A few things to say about this. Mainly that I think you'll find the wind noise being a compound effect from many variables, one of the least being the helmet. You bike's screen probably the main offender, secondly your height (and where you helmet 'sits' in your riding position).

No one helmet is quiet for everyone as well, it depends on your head shape. You may have a thin neck which lets more air in than someone else, so you can't really get an answer from anyone in this thread.

Have you changed helmets whilst on the FZ6 and noticed a difference?

I suggest removing your windscreen and going for a ride, seeing if that makes a difference. If so, then you'll need to research into either chopping yours, or trying a tall touring one. Or naked conversion :)

If no difference, then could be a bit of trial and error with helmet brands.

From experience with the buffs and neck covers, you pay a high price in fogging with these, as well as inconvenience. There should certainly be an easier way.

BTW do you wear plugs?