Going Rural, New South Styles

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday All,

A friend and I are looking at pushing thru out west from Sydney in a few days for a 4-5 day ride. We're looking at basically going west over the Blue Mountains, hit Bathust and head south through Young/Coota/Gundagai. Ride the Alpine way, and then head east till the coast and winding our way back up to Sydney.

What could you suggest? Any good places to stop or stay, things to look out for, roads to ride, things to mispack and bitch about for the duration of the ride?

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gday All,

A friend and I are looking at pushing thru out west from Sydney in a few days for a 4-5 day ride. We're looking at basically going west over the Blue Mountains, hit Bathust and head south through Young/Coota/Gundagai. Ride the Alpine way, and then head east till the coast and winding our way back up to Sydney.

What could you suggest? Any good places to stop or stay, things to look out for, roads to ride, things to mispack and bitch about for the duration of the ride?

Don't forget your towel:thumbup:.

I've only ever passed through those regions heading down from QLD to SA as a young tacker.

Rod and reel?:D

Cheers
Mike

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Dont forget the Bathurst 1000 is on this weekend. Bells Line Of Road & Great Western Hwy will be bumper to bumper.

Just an idea. You could head up to Denman & cut across to Rylstone then Sofala to take the back road into Bathurst? Bloody good roads that way & minimal traffic. You could also head as far west as Molong before heading south? Makes a longer trip but could also be a lot more enjoyable?

Like this?

from:Sydney to:Denman to:Kerrabee to:Sofala to:molong to:cootamundra - Google Maps

bazza

I'll sleep when I die!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I can highly recommend going from Wagga to Tumbarumba then up to Cabramurra ( Australia's highest town) then accross to cooma. I used to live in Tumba and can say the roads are good with plenty of twisty stuff (Watch out for wild brumby's though). Or you could go from Tumba down to just before Khancoban take a left turn up into the mountains and accross to Cabramurra and then on to Cooma (this is about 3hrs longer but a great ride). One of the best rides in Oz.
Regards Bazza

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Gday All,
Sorry about the long wait between posts but here are some snaps from the trip.
We headed down through Kangaroo valley and took some pics of the bikes/MGs/ and lookout thru to Nowra.
Had some lunch at Ulladalla, down to Batemans then went west to Braidwood.

Rode a few hours over dirt into Cooma (First time on dirt/mud, Great!)

Stayed the night at Cooma and headed over the Snowy Mountains.
Out to Wagga, and headed up to Orange the next day. Dossed in Orange and trundled into Sydney - bemoaning the traffic the whole way :)

Thanks for all the advice.
Dunno- thanks for the heads up about the Bathurst race.
Mike - Couldn't fit the rod and reel but taking a break @ Geehi hut I sure was tempted (really warm and beautiful valley nestled in the Snowys)
Bazza - headed out from Tumba to Wagga but I going to chalk it up for next time.

Thanks all - Really enjoyed the ride!:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome pic's mate , looks like you's had a great trip :thumbup:..

Now those Northern Hemispherians really will think we are stark ravin' mad riding in all that white stuff :D

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny enough that was about the lot of it! It had snowed about 4 days before, and snow chains were needed. But it had cleared well enough for us when we went through. I think Thredbo may have even got a small dump a few days after our ride also!
Cold enough for balaclavas and glove inners! (bless those inventive bank robbers!)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you had a great time, from the photo's, and the grins on your faces...thanks for sharing.

:thumbup:

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Ta Wolf,
I guessing that mug shot was taken just after the ages long dirt road section. I did like having my headers clean, but I've been told a protective layer of dirt helps!
So probably less of a grin and more of a grimace! See below:rant:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ta Wolf,
I guessing that mug shot was taken just after the ages long dirt road section. I did like having my headers clean, but I've been told a protective layer of dirt helps!
So probably less of a grin and more of a grimace! See below:rant:

Lol! I gave up worrying about my headers a while back....whole bike is pristine, bar the headers....you have 2 choices in my opinion...1. ride your bike and have crappy looking headers, or 2. dont ride your bike, and have pretty headers....

I am going to try ceramic coating mine...see if that helps...

:thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
There is also the infamous option C that I tried:
Constantly clean and work on your headers accomplishing nothing in the long run except a few minutes of clean before the bike warms up!