Glove sizing, better too big or too tight??

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a pair of very impressive gauntlet gloves. Has everything i want in a glove, kangaroo skin, titanium, stingray skin, ventilation. Amazing glove. BUT i bought a large because i had a large in alpinestars. When gripped around the bars i still have 1/4 or 1/2 inch space at the finger tips loose material. Is it better to size down and get a medium which may be too tight or just deal with it being loose??

Only used them on a few commutes to work but i dont want to use them too much in case i cant return them to the maker from excessive wear.

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you tried the Mediums on?
I know I'd rather have a little space than pressure on my fingertips. I have a pair I use that makes my fingertips go numb from the pressure and its pretty lame.

If they are way too loose, then perhaps the mediums will fit?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The danger of loose gloves: they may come off in a crash. Can you easily pull yours off now? If you can, they are definitely too loose and all that protection will be rather meaningless.
If they're staying on well and otherwise fit fine, I wouldn't worry too much about fingers being too long.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea i forgot to mention its not a well known brand so there is no store I can go into to try on the medium. Actually no store sells this brand hhaha.

I sent them an email to ask how much shorter in length the mediums are but no response yet. My dillemma is calling them and asking for a meduim and sending these back in exchange only to find the mediums make my fingers go numb LOL.

I will call them later and see if i can get an answer on how much shorter they are. It just always a gamble because it tightens so much once on the grips.

They do not pull off my hands easily at all so they should still protect great.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say I am dead-center between a medium and large A*. The SMX-2s I got were medium and annoyingly tight for about a week. Now, I'm glad I got them instead of large because they broke in nicely.

Based on your description, they sound too big. Try on the mediums, and keep an open mind that they will stretch.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a pair of very impressive gauntlet gloves. Has everything i want in a glove, kangaroo skin, titanium, stingray skin, ventilation. Amazing glove. BUT i bought a large because i had a large in alpinestars. When gripped around the bars i still have 1/4 or 1/2 inch space at the finger tips loose material. Is it better to size down and get a medium which may be too tight or just deal with it being loose??

Only used them on a few commutes to work but i dont want to use them too much in case i cant return them to the maker from excessive wear.

I usually buy a bit tight because gloves tend to wear in and stretch out in my experience. The last pair I got were a bit too tight tho because there was a lot of extra fabric in the fingertips, but I was able to trim it down. After breaking them in they fit perfect.

I've always had gloves get slightly bigger, never smaller.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the problem of longer length in the finger area than I needed. I have to try them on. I've bought gloves that are smaller than they should be for me and hoped that they would stretch which they did but in hot weather and sweating they are hard to get on and off!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems to me that all the A star gloves I have ever bought have been too small. I don't have very large hands but I need an xxl or xl. A large has never come close to fitting me. I like my gloves a bit large rather than tight. A stars makes some good gloves. I have probably 4 or 5 pairs. :rockon:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems to me that all the A star gloves I have ever bought have been too small. I don't have very large hands but I need an xxl or xl. A large has never come close to fitting me. I like my gloves a bit large rather than tight. A stars makes some good gloves. I have probably 4 or 5 pairs. :rockon:

I have a set of large a* gp pros and i have to say i really like my new gloves a lot more. But again only a few miles on them so i will report back in a few weeks lol. These are what i have Spartan Leathers SL-1 Gloves Review - webBikeWorld

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I always buy gloves small (ie: almost uncomfortably tight when new). They break in over a few weeks/months and become completely form fitting. I hate gloves that are too big.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My all time fav gloves are BMW Motorrad short gauntlet Goretex goat skin. perfect sizing great grip and feel.

love em so much I bought the mesh backed summer version as well the pics are at the bottom of the post

Just had to buy something for the colder Melbourne weather and got some A* goretex gloves but I had the same issue on sizing, the large has ended up being too samll for my hand and the damn things were impossible to get on and off and would hardly go over my jacket cuff, so I gave them to my son hes as happy as... a pair of water and wind proof $140 gloves for nada.

So now I have a pair of extreme highway gloves,
highway_2.jpg

highway_1.jpg

Xtreme Highway Motorcycle Gloves | OZMotorcycleGear

its taking a while for them to break in the leather is much tougher that the goatskin we'll see how we go

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually prefer to get gloves a bit small as like others have said they do stretch out and I feel that gloves that are looser compromise dexterity alot

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
After riding with these for a week, i have to say im glad i didnt go smaller. They are very comfortable a little long in the fingers but these are my new favorite gloves. I will buy another pair if these wear out :)

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer a glove that starts out just a little snug. During it's use, the glove material will relax a bit, "fit like a glove"... pardon the pun.

A loose glove runs you the risk of coming off in a crash, although too tight and you can restrict your movement and circulation.