Givi PLX360 & V35 install - Not happy with results

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Issues resolved - See ----> http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/49720-givi-plx360-v35-install-not-happy-results-2.html#post548455

[Note: Pictures are in post #8 ]

Ok, here's the deal...

I've installed a lot of Givi luggage on other bikes and never run into this situation before. Also, I realize "easy bolt-on" does not usually turn out that way. There is always some adjustment that need to be done....I accept that.

The problem this time (actually two issues) is with everything mounted up the side cases (V35's) are not parallel with the center line of the bike. The front of the cases are pointing out to the sides :(

If you were to look at the bike from above while standing behind it, it's obvious that the cases do not run in a straight line front to back. But bow out towards the front of the bike.

Imagine the letter "V" with the bottom of the "V" at the rear of the bike and the top facing the front of the bike.

I've triple checked everything and the only thing I can conclude is that's the way the racks were designed. It's not a lot out of alignment but it's enough that even my wife noticed it.

So..... those of you that have V35's installed on the PLX630 racks are your cases running parallel to the bike or do they do the same as described above?

Also.... when installing the rear cross brace was there a lot of tension pulling the rear together?

I have about 1/2" - 3/4" space before bolting in the rear cross brace and did not feel good about putting that much tension on the racks.
So for now I left the rear cross brace off until I figure out why the cases/racks are not fitting the way I thing they should.

Oh, I put yard (meter) stick along the racks and it's not an optical illusion.

So before I take it to someone to have the racks worked over, or go out and buy the SW Motech racks (hoping they fit correctly), I wanted to find out if anyone else has noticed the same issues. And if so, were you able to fix them (and how), or just live with it.

Thanks,

Jon...

PS: I'm one of those people that will notice things that are slightly out of alignment so it's really bothering me.

Last edited:

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. I work nights and I'm at work right now.

If I can stay awake after work until it gets light out I'll take a few pictures. My reason for posting without the pictures is I figured it would probably be pretty obvious to anybody whose run into the issue already. But by looking at the number of hits this thread has received compaired to only your reply I'm starting to suspect that the issue I've run into is unique.

Anyway, I get off work at 4am so I'll do my best to stay awake long enough to get some pictures and I'll add them into my original post.

Jon...

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What exhaust do you have and do you have the top case also? Mine are a little crooked but I found it to be the threaded nubs on the wings that bolt to the f/e.

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Stock exhaust with a V46 top case mounted on the Givi 351 top rack and M5 plate. Rear fender is also stock.

I had a feeling something was not correct when I bolted the two side case brackets together using the cross brace and they were not parallel but thought it may be ok once installed.

In hind sight I should have taken pictures at that time.

Jon...

andysadd

Reaction score
Visit site
I have stock exhaust, 351 arms , m5 plate and a v46 case and viewed from the rear the box was not level with the left side low, after investigation best solution for me was to pack up the left side with 4mm alloy plates

I was disappointed as I hoped it would be perfect, there is also some tension on the m5 where it pulls the arms together.

Andy

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I took some photos.

First with the side racks on the bike and then of the racks removed from the bike.

Note: In the process of removing them I discovered that if I pull out (away from the bike) on the lower rear corned of the racks with the bags attached it will align the bags the way they should be.

Now for the pictures...

This shows how far off the alignment is if I have the straight edge parellel to the center line of the bike.

i-hpTnFNj-M.jpg

These next two show how far off the alignment of the cross bar is when attached to only one side rack.

i-KzXRgBw-M.jpg

i-JHv3FKc-M.jpg

This next one is with the bolt screwed into the cross bar but at this point there is no tension pulling the two parts together. There is stress on the bolt because I had to lift the cross bar up to get the bolt started (see above pictures for how far I had to lift it)

i-b67sNgL-M.jpg

In the next two shots I removed the side racks and put them together using the cross bar so you can see how the assembly looks with no tension on the parts.

I made sure to line up the cross bar with the line in the flooring for reference. If you look at the lines of the flooring it's obvious that when bolted up to the bike there will be a lot of stress places on the mounting points if I use the cross bar.

Without using the cross bar each side goes on the bike perfectly. No stress at the top or front mounting points. The mis-alignment issue is still there but nothing is stressed.

i-ktJmmvP-M.jpg

i-xtcB7dR-M.jpg

I tried taking pictures of the bags on the bike to show the mis-alignment but although it's obvious when looking at them in person, I was unable to get the camera to capture it they way my eyes do.

So there you have it. I've never run into this with Givi side racks before and I've put them on V-Stroms, FZ1's and a few other bikes without any major issues.

At this point I only see a few options.

1). Live with it and hope none of the welds break at the mounting points.
2). Try the SW Moto racks from Twisted Throttle.
3). Have someone locally fix the issues. Including making a longer cross bar.

For now I'm not going to use the side racks and cases because I don't feel good about not using the cross bar and I do not want to stress the racks or worse, have something break while I'm going down the road.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or solutions I have not considered?

Jon...

PS: On a positive note, the top rack went on like a factory part and is perfectly aligned :thumbup:

Last edited:

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It may not fix not being parallel to the bike but have you tried flipping the cross member 180 degrees such that the left side becomes the right. It will still bolt up and curve into the fender, but may fit better.

Just a thought as I only have the top rack.

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Tyler,

Good suggestion about flipping the rear cross brace around. In fact that's one of the first things I tried when I was initially installing the rack figuring there was a left and right. I even tried puttin the bend that tucks into the fender towards the front just to test it.

Much to my surprise, it doesn't make any difference and the cross brace continues to be out of alignment.

Although I purchased the bike used with 34,000 miles on it as far as I can tell there is no frame damage and the bike tracks straight down the road even if I take both hands off the bars to test it.

So I'm at a total loss as to the cause of the figment issues. Especially since I had no problems at all fitting the top rack.

Jon...

Jon_PDX

Reaction score
Visit site
Followup - Issue resolved.

Just a quick followup for those who are interested. After trying to get the Givi side racks to fit correctly I finally gave up and ordered the SW Motech quick release side racks from Twisted Throttle.

I got them installed last weekend and the fit and finish were perfect, there were no issues using them with my Givi top rack (351FZ), and I'm very happy with how it all came out in the end. I also feel the quality and design of the SW Motech racks is better than the Givi side rack in this case.

I'm still surprised that the Givi PLX360 rack did not fit as expected since all the other Givi racks I have installed on other bikes always fit as expected.

Unfortunately it's to late to get a refund since the vender I bought them from was closing out their stock. So I'm not sure what I'll do with the Givi PLX360 racks at this time.

Jon...