Girlfriend moaning about grips!

fz6ns2rick

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Im a new rider , passed direct access two months ago and will never buy a car again, love riding my fz6n s2 ,got it at good price and dont regret it one bit as i bought it on a kinda whim cause i really liked it, but i have over the last week been in discussions with the girlfriend over pillion issues . she is a very good back seat rider other than one irritating moan, she is complaining that the pillion grips are a little awkward , she is by no means big (size 10-12) but she complains that she is sitting on her thumbs around the grips . i have seen the problem and suggested we get some sort of extension grip that i can bolt on to the existing grips.
question is , does anyone know of this problem, secondly if there is any solution out there or will i have to get my brain in gear and fabricate something myself to stop the above wind noise whine from the rear lol

thanks in advance for any and all knowledge forwarded.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They are a bit narrow on FZ6, so I suppose her complaint is valid. Why not have her hold on to your belt? Many bikes don't have grab handles at all. Passengers should be able to comfortably hold on to something.. belt is usually best bet.
Another alternative is a set of grips that attaches to the tank, specifically meant for passenger, but I don't think it'll work well on FZ6.. you'd have to lean forward quite a bit for passenger to comfortably reach them, but check them out anyway:

2WheelRide Passenger Safety Handles Product Review- Motorcycle Gear

ocy1.jpg

Vinxxgrip

StreetRyder.com

fz6ns2rick

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the speedy replies, i have one of the body grips coming off an bidding site, also she is quite petite for a 10-12 and wouldnt be able to reach round that far on this bike for the tank idea , but still good info.
im going to see how the belt idea goes and if it fails i will look into making some grips that fix onto the existing ones to extend them out a little further. shouldnt be too hard to fabricate ,just didnt want to have to if i didnt have to lol. thanks again, and if i end up making something i will be sure to post it and how i made them so if it comes up for anyone else they can try it too.

nevver know she may end up on her own bike soon the way she is talking lol.:thumbup:

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Something my friend runs on his jeep roll bar are some heavy nylon straps, they go around the roll bar and give you a handle. Not sure if the ones for a rollbar would work, but if someone could make them I think it would be a pretty slick what to do it no permanent mod to bike. here is a quick link they are pretty common on caged 4x4's Teraflex 4830300 - TeraFlex Roll Bar Grab Handles - Quadratec

Brahms

Reaction score
Visit site
She Needs To Read This Also

+1 on the belt system, such as the Powermadd or Love Handles, maybe $40. That way she is able to better grip you - it keeps her forward on the seat. Have her check out the alternative - Rock The Gear.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife grab the edge of my jacket or my belt if I wear jeans. I also have the top case in case she fall asleep (no joke... she does sometime!!!) I usually take care of that with a quick wack on the throttle on/off. By the time the 2 helmets smack together she is awake and confirm it to me with a good fish in the ribs. Hey, whatever work! LOL

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife complains about the same thing and I've thought about trying these.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-QuadGear-Holds-Black/dp/B000OZS9Y0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_piT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3EHJUMKQ579PB&coliid=I3G27BJWXG2TBK]Amazon.com: Classic Accessories QuadGear UTV Hand Holds (Black): Automotive[/ame]

I don't know if they would work or if they would slip around but it would be an option.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife doesn't hold on to anything, I just make sure I don't pull off like a squid and she is fine. She is a great pillion, I can really hit the twisties and I don't even know she is there.