Getting ready for Mikey's Big Adventure

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
My son and I are going to ride from Vancouver to Osoyoos on July 12th. It's about a 450 kilometer ride (about 300 or so miles) through some of the nicest country in Southern BC. He'll be on his Boulevard M109R LE. I'm pretty much all set with my MotoPak luggage (which fits on my FZ6 like it was tailor-made), my Joe Rocket Manta XL and TomTom GO 720. I could ride to Osoyoos in my sleep I've done it so many times, but it's a lot of fun listening to the lady on the GPS, isn't it? :D

Saddlebags2.jpg

I thought I would have some issues getting my 5"8" mounted and dismounted on the bike, but it's no problem at all. There's a couple of ways of doing it. One is to mount the bike like a horse....with the bike on the kickstand, I place my left foot on the left footpeg and sort of slide my right leg over the seat in front of the top bag. It's putting a lot of faith in the integrity of the kickstand, but I think it can take it.
The other method is less elegant...I grab my right pant leg near the ankle and lift my right leg over the seat. I reverse the process to get off.
Here's a gratuitous shot of me (Mike) on my bike. I wore a blue YAMAHA hat in deference to the unfortunates who bought the slow blue ones. :Flip::D

Saddlebags1.jpg

And in 1963.....haven't changed a bit! :D

T20TigerCub.jpg

Last edited:

dynamo-acl

Reaction score
Visit site
If blue ones are slow yours must be hellova fast buddy:rockon:

Enjoy ur trip, nothin better than getting out in the big country and taking in the ambience

At 5 feet 11 inches i still have trouble getting on the bike with luggsge attached

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! It's not for a couple of weeks yet, but it'll take me that long to get organized. I have a chronic back issue, so my son says we'll be taking it slow and stopping lots. I dunno about taking it slow :D but I will appreciate frequent stops. My nephew is threatening to meet up with us half way on his Harley, so we may end up taking it slow after all.
I'll let the forum know when I'm on the way. I'll be taking pictures of the trip and will file a full report during and after the ride. If my back holds out, I'll be riding my bike back to Vancouver as well. My operation should be happening around August, so this could be my last decent ride until next summer. :(

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
My nephew is threatening to meet up with us half way on his Harley, so we may end up taking it slow after all.
:rof:

Sounds like it's going to be a cool trip. I look forward to hearing about it when you finally do it! I also deal with back pain (broken back in 2004), but luckily the seating position on the FZ6 rarely causes me problems. How much trouble does the bike cause you with your back pain?

Let us know when you go, take pics when able, and have a good time!

PS - I wouldn't have been as nice as you were to the Blue Fizzers :D

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
:rof:

Sounds like it's going to be a cool trip. I look forward to hearing about it when you finally do it! I also deal with back pain (broken back in 2004), but luckily the seating position on the FZ6 rarely causes me problems. How much trouble does the bike cause you with your back pain?

The lower 2 vertebrae in my spine have slipped forward, pinching the big nerve that goes down my right leg...that's pretty darned painful. On top of that, I've also developed severe Osteo-Arthritis in my lower spine...also pretty darned painful. Oddly enough, I have no pain at all when riding my FZ6. :) The doctor thinks it's the excellent seating position, which relaxes my lower back and takes both weight and pressure away from it. My wife says "BS!!!" :D How I'm going to feel on a 6 hour ride could be a whole 'nuther thing, of course. We'll see how I do...I think I'll be ok and that's half the battle. My son has to heft his Boulevard M109R around all those corners, so he'll have his work cut out for him. It's BLUE as well, poor fellow. :rof:

IMG_0031.jpg

Troubl said:
Let us know when you go, take pics when able, and have a good time!

Thanks and will do! :thumbup: It's such a beautiful part of the country, it doesn't matter which way you point the camera, it's a great shot.

Troubl said:
PS - I wouldn't have been as nice as you were to the Blue Fizzers :D

Heh heh...the Admin's is blue. But I think it's really a red one painted blue.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike and nice boots!

Ride safe and take pictures.

Thanks! Yes, Sidi Vertebrae...sorry....Vertigo :D boots are fabulous. I haven't missed a single shift since I switched from my Gortex-lined Wehrmacht-pattern Alpinestars touring boots.
We will be riding as safe as we possibly can...it's a series of very nice highways, but cagers drive these roads very fast. I know, I'm one of them in my Legacy GT turbo. :eek: My son is very concerned about my back issues, so will "baby" me all the way. He's also a Firefighter and Medical First Responder, so I'll be in "good hands". It should be a fun trip, and one that I'm really looking forward to doing with my son. :thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Bring some photos to show us.

Have a quiet and safe trip.

Steve

Thanks for your good thoughts, Steve....and I'll certainly be taking lots of photos. We Brits may moan, groan and complain a lot, but we're tougher than we look and we get the job done. :D:uk:

Oh..I added a pic of me to my first post above showing my first day riding my first bike (a Triumph Tiger Cub)...this was in Purley, Surrey, England in 1963.

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Have a safe ride and share the pics!

That black and white photo of you is AWESOME! Thanks for posting.

J

jsteinb95

Nice pics. Have fun and ride safe. As others have said, make sure you take pics and share. :thumbup: