General Questions on the FZ6

sQuijeW

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 caught my eye and I have been wondering a few things about it...

1) For insurance, what is the FZ6 classified as? (sport bike? sports touring?)
2) Is insurance expensive for this type of motorcycle?
3) I read that the FZ6 has the R6 engine... does this mean it will feel like an R6? Meaning... will it not be very forgiving for inexperienced riders?
5) I am currently riding a 500, will the jump to the FZ6 be significant?

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Not sure, but I don't think so. I believe it's classified as a standard but I may be wrong.

I pay $200 every 6 months BUT I have full coverage and uninsured motorist. I could knock this down to probably about $100 a year if I loos those two coverages.

3) I read that the FZ6 has the R6 engine... does this mean it will feel like an R6? Meaning... will it not be very forgiving for inexperienced riders?
Yes and no. It is basically a pre-2003 R6 engine from what I understand, not as strong as an R6 but with plenty of power. It is a very forgiving motorcycle, don't worry about that. See my next response for more on this...

The bike should just fine for you. It's almost like having two bikes in one. if you stay under 7500 RPM is very tame, over 8 grand and it starts pulling strong.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! I think different insurance companies classify it differently, because I got quotes that were very high and very low. Progressive and Geico gave me very high quotes, and State Farm was less than 50% of theirs. Given that, I've always assumed that some have it as a sportbike, and some as a standard. Get some quotes and see if you can score a good rate.

Going from a 500 to an FZ6, depends on what kind of 500 you have. I think engines have come a long way. My last bike was an early '80s 750cc and was way less powerful and less responsive than this bike! Could have been the improper tuning though, but the FZ outperforms my last bike (that was larger) by a long shot!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

Your questions have pretty much been answered! Post up some pics when you get your FZ6. It's a great bike that won't disappoint you! :rockon:

darkbluexplorer

ATGATT - Live by it!
Reaction score
Visit site
For my 06 escape and 06 fz I pay 107 per month for full coverage on both. I have a clean record an over the age of 30. My fz has all accessories insured to $2000 and I have medical coverage for my and a pillion up to $50000

From my mobile command unit attached to my hand.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I have lost my license more in one year than most people get tickets in a year so driving records don't get much worse then mine but yet my insurance for the FZ6 is only $100 a year for minimum coverage. The bike will only get away from you if you let it, it really will scream above 9k, but for around town riding it's quite docile. I'm sure you will find it great at everything just like the rest of us have.

And welcome!!!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

1) For insurance, what is the FZ6 classified as? (sport bike? sports touring?) Standard Motorcycle
2) Is insurance expensive for this type of motorcycle? No, that is why I bought one. I was 25 when I bought mine and my insurance was only $39/month for full coverage...now that I'm 33 it's $25/month! :thumbup: The FZ6 has 90% of the performance of the R6 for less than 1/2 the insurance cost!
3) I read that the FZ6 has the R6 engine... does this mean it will feel like an R6? Meaning... will it not be very forgiving for inexperienced riders? If you keep the RPM's down it will feel like a 500cc bike. Only above about 7,000 rpms does it start to wake up. :BLAA:
See #4

Great bike you won't regret this purchase!
See above in RED.

sQuijeW

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thank you all for your input.

the more i look the more i want an FZ. I am currently riding a 06 GS500F.

from what i have seen, prices on the FZs range from high 3000 to mid/high 4000. is that typical? What are some fair prices for the bike?

should i wait until the end of the season to really look hard for a bike to find the best prices or will the prices remain pretty much the same?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site

from what i have seen, prices on the FZs range from high 3000 to mid/high 4000. is that typical? What are some fair prices for the bike?

should i wait until the end of the season to really look hard for a bike to find the best prices or will the prices remain pretty much the same?

$3-5k is the typical price range. There is a thread here that everyone has put in what they bought their bike for and you will see that it can vary quite a bit by area. What I did was went to statewidelist.com and searched my state and the surrounding states for the bikes I was looking to buy until I found a good deal. This was back in February/March, so it wasn't quite riding season yet. Deals are harder to come by when warm weather is here, but it depends on how much money you have to spend and how badly you want to ride :rockon:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

You are in the ballpark. Make sure if you buy a 2004/2005 that the bike has had the TPS recall done. The 2007+ have a bit smoother engine/throttle response but nothing too drastically different to justify paying $1,000 more for a used bike. Someone I know just sold a 2005 with 30,000 miles for $1,500 so if you aren't afraid of mileage (and these bikes can easily go 50,000+ miles without major problems) you can get a really great deal on a high performance motorcycle.

sQuijeW

Reaction score
Visit site
there is a 2006 FZ6 going for $2,500. It has 15,000 commuter miles on it and has been dropped once.

is this a good deal or is 15,000 miles a lot of wear

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's mechanically sound and properly maintained, then 15k miles is nothing and is a heck of a deal! I would go check it out, test drive it, ask questions, etc.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I pay $200 every 6 months BUT I have full coverage and uninsured motorist. I could knock this down to probably about $100 a year if I loos those two coverages.

Shop around. I just switched to Progressive for $225/YEAR for full coverage on my 04. This is the 4th company I've had cover this bike, and the 2nd time I've been with Progressive. Each change has seen a decrease in coverage cost.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Shop around. I just switched to Progressive for $225/YEAR for full coverage on my 04. This is the 4th company I've had cover this bike, and the 2nd time I've been with Progressive. Each change has seen a decrease in coverage cost.

It has a lot to do with age and driving record as well as the bike.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site

1 in ireland its classed as a sports bike
2 insurance group 11/12
3 its a detuned r6 engine from 2003
4 depends on the type of 500 you have, ie a cruiser style bike would be a big leap towards the 600cc from a cruiser style 500
wheres question 4?
lol