Gear indicator help

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought a 2004 FZ6 and am looking to buy a gear indicator. Anyone with experience/advice?
What's the brand with simple installation?

thanks, nick

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Its made by Acumen, costs over $150, and doesn't come in a plug-and-play version for the FZ6 which means you have the buy the universal one and wire it in yourself. To each his own, but its a lot cheaper to count to 6 and back when you're riding. Take the $150, use it to buy 10 tanks of gas, and by the time you use it all up you won't care that you don't have a gear indicator.

Acumen Plug-In Gear Indicator - a plug & play solution for most motorcycles

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not just learn to ride the bike as it is?

Personally, I look at gear indicators a bit like those training wheels on the back of a kiddies bike. When you get to use them properly you can take them off.

But that is only my opinion and just to be helpful here is a link.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/13119-acumen-dgv-gear-voltage-indicator-installed.html

If you use the search button at the op of the page you will usually get what you want. There are more links to gear indicator if you type it in.

Steve

arv077

arfz6
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a newbie FZ6 rider, and thought about the Gear indicator mod a bit when I first got the bike. 3 weeks later, i can pretty much tell by the rev, the speed and the sound as to which gear I'm in. It might be a cool thing to have, but I agree with the previous two responses - it's better to learn to count where you are in the gears, and start to become one with your bike! :thumbup:

CZAR357

Reaction score
Visit site
Ride your bike more! I figured out which gear by the sound, rpm and feel. You'll get it eventually, just takes time in the saddle.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you attempt to shift up and it doesn't go any further, you're in 6th. If you attempt to shift down and it won't go any farther - you're in 1st. :rolleyes:

Then there's those 4 in between (5 including N) but I don't worry about them much. :)

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never been real concerned about what gear I'm in. As long as it's the appropriate gear for the speed/rpms I'm doing it's OK. and the bike will tell you if you are in the right gear. If the bike is screaming up to the red line then shift up, (unless you're already in 6th, then your probably doing 150+ and it's time to slow down anyway), and if your rpms are under 2K and you turn the throttle and very little happens then shift down, (unless you're in 1st,then put your foot down or you're gonna fall over).

Right now I'm still in the break-in phase so I'm keeping it under 7K rpm's, but if the tach is between 4k-6k rpms I'm OK what ever gear I'm in. As I break it in I keep shifting up and down, 2-3-4-5 to vary the rpms but it really doesn't make a difference, if I'm doing 45mph I'm in 4th doing 3500rpms or 3rd doing 4500 rpms or 2nd doing 6500 rpms. It's just a matter of what I feel like doing. And as I come to a stop I just down shift until it doesn't go any more.

The one thing I have noticed is that the bike does not like to shift into 1st when stopped. Try to get to first before coming to a complete stop OR if in neutral and stopped and it won't go into 1st, let out the clutch and pull it in a second time and it will usually drop right into 1st then.

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, I get, Iget it I'll wait a month and reconsider than if I still think I need one.

Good call! And in a month when you realize we're all correct, you can donate the $150 to the forum so that we can continue to despense expert advice to all who seek it (or even the ones that don't for that matter!)

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you attempt to shift up and it doesn't go any further, you're in 6th. If you attempt to shift down and it won't go any farther - you're in 1st. :rolleyes:

Then there's those 4 in between (5 including N) but I don't worry about them much. :)

You must have learnt to ride at the same place as I did.

But you forgot to mention that when it grinds and clicks that there is not a gear there so try some place else.

Steve

bradms38

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a gear indicator mounted on my bike under the windscreen and infront of the gaughe cluster. I really like it and it is in a position where I can easily see which gear I am in at anytime. I won't have another bike without adding this extra. You'll be glad you got it once you've put it on.