GAS is going up what are you paying

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Paid $3.239 a gallons today! ouch...

I work for a small local Oil Co and we sell about 9 million gallons of combined distillates a year, the price increases are crippling in this economy to us and consumers!

There are a number of factors contributing to the high cost of gas...

The biggest current contributors to the rising cost are speculators and swap dealers,and taxes! Not the big evil oil companies or the refiners.

Energy speculation is a massive growth industry, I believe as of 2008 71% of forward contracts on WTI oil were held by speculators, NOT investors (users) who actually dealt in the physical movement of oil.

Back in 2000 only 31% were speculator derived. The intent way back when, of hedging (buying/selling of contracts) was to help balance the cost and help protect against price spikes of product for the companies who actually needed it! Airlines and such.

The CFTC and other regulatory entities need to be able to limit positions and increase the margin requirements for non oil investors, State retirement systems, massive banks and speculators need to get out of oil trades and back into NYSE and out of NYME...

Lastly, watch the value of the US Dollar vs other world currencies, it goes down, oil prices go up, it goes up, oil prices go down, prices are not nearly pegged to supply/demand anymore, but using supply/demand as an excuse provides a wonderful smoke screen...

romlin

Reaction score
Visit site
i was was £1.35 a liter last night when i filled up. so if any one for the USA wants to swop just let me know.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
When I pull up to a gas station on my FZ6 I could care less what gas cost. ;)

When I pull up to a gas station with my SUV I start to break into a cold sweat and get a sick feeling. :eek:

I just saw 3.65 per gallon for premium in Tampa, FL.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What would the U.S.A. look like if the fuel prices were similar to Europe?

$8 per gallon? Would there be more motorcycles? Better mass transit? Would SUV's or trucks be a thing of the past? Obviously our goods and services cost would go up, but what would everyone be driving?

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
$8 a Gal I'd be thinking fondly of my old Ninja 250 75 mpg:rolleyes:
It would do any thing I needed just bad on my back on the bumpy side roads.:(

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
as of today we pay 1.28/litre diesel and 1.34/litre unl;eaded (price in euro).

we do not have a choice of fuel just one govt owned entity and sells us whatever crap it manages to get hold of at a bargain then sells it at market prices. our diesel has quite a high sulphur content...mind you it was much worse some years ago!!

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I saw that a station had diesel for $3.89 a gallon, and reg at $3.47 at Shell. I went by my favorite cheap Arco and found that reg is $3.37. Last week it was 10 cents cheaper.

CroFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
we pay 1.273eur for liter of 95 octane gas :(
i see that across Europe gas is simillary priced +/-,so USA friends be quiet and enjoy it while it last;)

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
as of today we pay 1.28/litre diesel and 1.34/litre unl;eaded (price in euro).
(GULP!) And, I though the near $4.00 USD per gallon in California was high. Even so, $4.00 USD per gallon is going to be a BARGAIN in another few weeks because I expect the price will be near $5.00 USD per gallon in California soon. Now, I am so happy that I have a vehicle (beloved FZ6) that gets over 45 MPG. All the reason more to NOT upgrade to a liter bike!

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
The thing that burns my ass is that you can have 5 gas stations in a row, and all 5 of them will have a different price. I don't see how one shell station can sell regular for 3.18 and another shell station 3 miles down the road has regular for 3.38, and the chevron next to that is 3.57 for regular.

Jabarker

Reaction score
Visit site
Left for Vegas on Friday and payed $3.36. Came back home to Orange County yesterday and filled up my wifes car for $3.77... Glad I just bought my bike :)

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is $3.26/gal here, I seen it as cheap as $3.06 this weekend going south towards SC.

I also found 2 stations in SC that sold pure gas, no ethanol which suprised me, it was my understanding that all stations were required to sell the ethanol mix. One was called Red Robin and directly across the street was another called Blue Bird and they advertised 100% gas with up to 25% better mpg. It was selling for around 15 cents more per gallon.