G2 Throttle Tamer

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I found this also applies to the FZ6 as I found the FZ6 to also have some throttle snatch.

After doing some research I found that I wasn't the only one who found that the VFR when initially rolling on the throttle can be a bit snappy and abrupt (very on/off). At first I thought this was just me not being used to the bike, but after almost a year of riding I found it to still be snappy. My FZ6 was similar and as it turns out this seems to afflict the majority of fuel injected bikes.

G2 Ergonomics has come up with a redesigned throttle tube to help eliminate this initial throttle snap. The Throttle Tamer has a cam with a reduced radius initially, which requires a slightly farther rotation to achieve the same carburetor or throttle body opening position as a stock throttle. This virtually eliminates the jerky “throttle snatch” especially evident in modern fuel injected street bikes. The radius increases or “ramps up” after ½ throttle to keep overall rotation requires to reach full throttle at or near stock rotation.

Some info about the G2 Throttle Tamer:

• Machined from 6061 aluminum in the USA!
  • Self-lubricating Delrin bushings at each end of tube eliminate aluminum-to-aluminum contact and provide an ultra-smooth feel.
  • Included cam is removable and can be replaced with alternate cams (sold separately) to fine tune control.
  • Fits inside the stock throttle housing to stock cables.
  • Works with all known aftermarket cruise controls.
  • Installs in minutes!

Here is a comparison of stock (VFR) tube vs. Throttle Tamer tube

PA220028.JPG

Tried it out this morning on my commute to work and the difference is noticeable!!! Throttling up is like butter now! Like getting a new bike for $90!!

More info here: Boneman's VFR Site - G2 Throttle Tamer

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
So, after hearing about the length problems on the VFR, I contacted the company about the FZ6. They reported no known problems with the length on our bike. Because of this I went off and bought a throttle tamer from them thinking all would be well. I was going to do a nice little write up with the little details idiots like me would questions themselves on.

Man I was proud of myself when I got it installed properly. Then went straight to pissed off. The length is about 1/4" too long which the company assured me it would not be. I now cannot ride my bike because I cannot put the bar end on more than halfway without choking out and locking up my throttle. Guess I'll have to see what the company says unless anyone has another idea or is in central Illinois and can help me out.

O, and not to mention that the grip I put on has at least 1/4" of space on each side AND I bought the grips straight from the G2 as well.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, after hearing about the length problems on the VFR, I contacted the company about the FZ6. They reported no known problems with the length on our bike. Because of this I went off and bought a throttle tamer from them thinking all would be well. I was going to do a nice little write up with the little details idiots like me would questions themselves on.

Man I was proud of myself when I got it installed properly. Then went straight to pissed off. The length is about 1/4" too long which the company assured me it would not be. I now cannot ride my bike because I cannot put the bar end on more than halfway without choking out and locking up my throttle. Guess I'll have to see what the company says unless anyone has another idea or is in central Illinois and can help me out.

O, and not to mention that the grip I put on has at least 1/4" of space on each side AND I bought the grips straight from the G2 as well.

I think others were able to work around the length issue:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/41520-throttle-tamer-not-bad-3.html

BTW, where in 618 are you? My GF is from O'Fallon.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
I think others were able to work around the length issue:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/41520-throttle-tamer-not-bad-3.html

BTW, where in 618 are you? My GF is from O'Fallon.

Scoro

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Originally from Breese. Just moved to Gillespie (by Litchfield) late 2011 when I got a job up here. So technically I'm in the 217 by a couple miles but I refuse to claim it.

After that being said, since I just moved up here not too long ago, I have zero way of grinding or cutting because I still haven't even bought a countertop to make my work bench. And on top of that its still tax season so I barely had time to install this tonight. I have a 255 piece Craftsmen toolkit and a POS cordless drill. Sooo....I guess I am gonna have to first uninstall it, then next find/buy a top to a workbench so I can get a vice to hold the tube in (only securely of course) and then find/borrow/buy a grinder. Damn this sucks

Anyone ever rode without their bar end?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
SThe length is about 1/4" too long which the company assured me it would not be. I now cannot ride my bike because I cannot put the bar end on more than halfway without choking out and locking up my throttle.

That's good to know, thanks for the advice.

As for fixing it, could you not just move the throttle slightly further up the 'bars?

What about using a $17 pipe cutter? (as long as the 'bearings' aren't right on the end, that is)

The 'bars I've just purchased (Renthal Road Medium and Renthal Road High) are about 1/2'' longer to each end (1" total), so even if you can't trim the G2, It'll still work for me.

Hopefully an easy fix avails itself.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
That's good to know, thanks for the advice.

As for fixing it, could you not just move the throttle slightly further up the 'bars?

What about using a $17 pipe cutter? (as long as the 'bearings' aren't right on the end, that is)

The 'bars I've just purchased (Renthal Road Medium and Renthal Road High) are about 1/2' linger, so even if you can't trim the G2, It'll still work for me.

Hopefully an easy fix avails itself.

Cheers,
Rick

Never thought of that. I feel halfway stupid. Only halfway because my dad is a plumber and I worked for him so I should have thought of that, but not the other half because those cutter are meant for copper and softer metals so a cheap one probably wouldn't do and I'd be shot dead if I used a good one from his shop. I am not exactly sure as to the difference of the copper cutters and the ones I used for black iron. I'll have to look further into it and hopefully it works. Will let everyone know the outcome either way. Thanks Rick.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never thought of that. I feel halfway stupid. Only halfway because my dad is a plumber and I worked for him so I should have thought of that, but not the other half because those cutter are meant for copper and softer metals so a cheap one probably wouldn't do

The G2 is aluminium, the cutter will be fine. (aluminium is softer than copper)

Just check the end of the G2 for the presence of bearings (nitride or whatever) because if you cut it off, you'll have to hope you can put it back in the new 'end', or the throttle tube will be wonky and wont feel right. (hopefully, the bearing is a little bit in, so wont foul with cutting a bit off)

Either that, or you could just not screw the 'bar end in so much, and use loctite or other threadlock to secure? (dunno how long that's last with the vibration though)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
The G2 is aluminium, the cutter will be fine. (aluminium is softer than copper)

Just check the end of the G2 for the presence of bearings (nitride or whatever) because if you cut it off, you'll have to hope you can put it back in the new 'end', or the throttle tube will be wonky and wont feel right. (hopefully, the bearing is a little bit in, so wont foul with cutting a bit off)

Either that, or you could just not screw the 'bar end in so much, and use loctite or other threadlock to secure? (dunno how long that's last with the vibration though)

Cheers,
Rick

No bearings here that I see....just delrin insert

Now hopefully I can stop by the hardware store and get a cutter, then push the grip on further which in gonna be a bitch, the cut away. Sounds like the simplest way though. any comment on best way to smooth the end after cut? very coarse sandpaper, wire brush, or steel wool?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No bearings here that I see....just delrin insert

Now hopefully I can stop by the hardware store and get a cutter, then push the grip on further which in gonna be a bitch, the cut away. Sounds like the simplest way though. any comment on best way to smooth the end after cut? very coarse sandpaper, wire brush, or steel wool?

That's the 'bearing' I was talking about. (not 'roller bearing')

If you use a plumbers pipe cutter, the end will be smooth and straight - no need to finish it.

Also, if you have an air compressor, use that to remove the grip (blast air up under it and the grip slides off) and then reapply after the cut is made.

Cheers,
Rick

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the 'bearing' I was talking about. (not 'roller bearing')

If you use a plumbers pipe cutter, the end will be smooth and straight - no need to finish it.

Also, if you have an air compressor, use that to remove the grip (blast air up under it and the grip slides off) and then reapply after the cut is made.

Cheers,
Rick

So I am a little confused with your concerns of it since the delrin is throughout the entire tube, and that is the only way I have seen people fix it so I imagine it should be fine (but I dunno, I'm a noob). I am very familiar with a copper cutter and sometimes it doesn't round it out perfect and it leaves a little lip sticking out. But that is normally when we were going fast and not taking our time. I imagine it will be fine especially with the softer delrin on the inside because it any lip were to occur it would happen there which any rough texture could fix quickly (Just didn't think it completely through).

Unfortunately I do not have an air compressor yet either. It's on my list of 1,000 things to get with my tax season bonus check (after the CPA exam review books). Fortunately though rubbing alcohol worked great when I put it on the first time and I think I'll have enough space to just push it on further to cut and then slide it back the 1/4" or so.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I am a little confused with your concerns of it since the delrin is throughout the entire tube

Sorry, not having one in front of me, I didn't know whether the delrin was full length, or just a small section on the end.

If it's full length, then there are no worries cutting it down.

Also, if you get a small lip, or otherwise jagged piece on the end, just touching that up with a file will suffice.

I hope it all goes well, and please post up your results.

Cheers,
Rick

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
small update. I am told by the company to measure the tube to see if they sent the wrong one he says theres and 130mm tube and a 136mm tube (about 1/4" difference)...debating on measuring or just cutting because having my bike out of commission is driving me crazy. What you think?

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you cut it with the pipe cutter, you'll be done in less than a minute.

It actually would have taken you more time to write your last post, asking for opinions.....

Cheers,
Rick

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
small update. I am told by the company to measure the tube to see if they sent the wrong one he says theres and 130mm tube and a 136mm tube (about 1/4" difference)...debating on measuring or just cutting because having my bike out of commission is driving me crazy. What you think?

FWIW, my uninstalled Tamer measures 136mm end-to-end, with the factory end cap removed. Nothing on the original packaging indicates 130 or 136. I expect to do some cutting or grinding once I get around to installing it since I still have the original bars.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
If you cut it with the pipe cutter, you'll be done in less than a minute.

It actually would have taken you more time to write your last post, asking for opinions.....

Cheers,
Rick

ya thanks Rick :Flip:

But what sucks is I went to 3 different stores and NONE of them had a fricking cutter. Guess I'll have to wait to Easter weekend and jack one off my dad when I'm down there. Love free tools :D

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked Walmart online and if you have one close by, there are several different models to choose from, apparently.

Cheers,
Rick

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked Walmart online and if you have one close by, there are several different models to choose from, apparently.

Cheers,
Rick

Ya, I checked Walmart, Rural King, and a Farm Supply company. Our Walmart had a total plumbing supply that took up maybe 30 feet of ailse on one side of the isle. Talk about no selection. Looks like no riding till the weekend. Supposed to storm anyways so can't be too upset.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
So I went to Ace Hardware when I was at my parents this weekend and pick up a pipe cutter for $5 out of the bargain bin. I attached some pics showing each step from pushing the grip on further so I could line up the cutter, to when I was through the aluminum but not the delrin (had to use a utility knife to cut the plastic off real quick). and in the end there is a nice little 1/8" gap so the throttle can rotate freely and snap back. After that all I did was stretch the grip towards the end to make the gap look better and then all done! Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I plan on creating a little thread with more detailed fz6 specific instructions for the noobs like me once the test ride is done. But thanks Boneman for giving me the guidance I needed to start.

ba4x

Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea with the pipe cutter... I just brought out the old hand files and went to work for about 15 minutes. Fits perfectly now! The aluminum is very thin and soft, so it wasn't hard work. :thumbup:

And somebody should kick G2 in the butt for screwing this up! Honestly, there's a drop down menu on the website, you think they could ship the right size for the specified bike. Now we have dozens of FZ6 owners trying to cut/grind aluminum tubes for no reason, and others unknowingly risking a sticky throttle! :spank:

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea with the pipe cutter... I just brought out the old hand files and went to work for about 15 minutes. Fits perfectly now! The aluminum is very thin and soft, so it wasn't hard work. :thumbup:

And somebody should kick G2 in the butt for screwing this up! Honestly, there's a drop down menu on the website, you think they could ship the right size for the specified bike. Now we have dozens of FZ6 owners trying to cut/grind aluminum tubes for no reason, and others unknowingly risking a sticky throttle! :spank:

After a couple rides with the throttle tamer, not impressed.no "taming" of the throttle, just takes a further turn before you actually go