G2 Throttle tamer Install ??

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
:confused:I bought the G2 Throttle tamer, looked at the instructions, consulted my Haynes Manual and decided I could do this. Wrong! I removed the bar end weight with channell locks, the hex was bunged up and not usable. Removed the lower panel of the throttle side pod, and was stuck! I could not separate the top/bottom halves of the pod. The Haynes manual is like " lift the top half of the module up", I'm like "I can't f)(@&#* get these apart! Anybody got some clues on this? Also, what is required to separate the grip from the original throttle tube? Ummm, without ruining the grip, I hope.
Thanks,:eek:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
usual once you remove the grips you get new ones but i saw a video if you make a speed handle with a wire clothing hanger and stick the straight end in the grip and spin the speed handle end it will work its way around the grip breaking up the glue that should work for you :rockon: you can do it too its really not that complex your just new take your team read and look up videos on youtube will help you alot

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Just in case you do ruin the grips. Have a set on hand. you can pick up a set for 10$. I bought mine dirt cheap from bike bandit, only to find them on sale at cyclepro a few days later. I used a little wd40 and long flat head screw driver. I didn't ruin my stockie grips. Just keep workin them and take your time.... Oh hey when your done and there off. Be sure to just clean off the oil from the grips with a good neutrel soap (dish washing soap.) Be safe, and don't forget to grip glue your grips back down, and let them dry when your done. maybe do them before you go to bed, so they can dry over night.

Last edited:

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far, I will get a set of grips before I re-start this project. I still don't know how to separate the throttle side control pod. Any ideas on that?

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a fz1 bar istall this summer. I think this is the video Gelvatron was talking about. I used it with a coathanger, just take your time. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-EKwyER74]Motorcycle handlebar grip removal. - YouTube[/ame]I did install new grips but could have reused the originals. I worked dish soap in with the tool and seemed to help slide the grip off, just clean it off before installing the new grips.

If I remember there is one screw that is hidden that prevents the two pieces from coming apart. Remembering back, I think there are two screws that allow a plastic piece that holds the cables and a third hidden that allows the rest of the assemble to come apart and the throttle tube to be removed. Take a light and look up into the bottom of the assembly.

A note from my install on an 05 model that was garage kept up to two years ago when I bought it. It is now outside covered in the summers and in an unheated shed in the winter. There was some noticeable rust under the throttle tube on the original handlebar. I had not noticed any stiffness of the throttle and it still snapped back. Yamaha did not paint the bar under the throttle tube so a cleanup and a little grease should help.

Important: If you search the forum on the throttle tamer, several people including myself had to cut a small amount (~1/8in) off of the throttle tamer to prevent binding with the bar end when installed. Someone mentioned G2 fixed the length but mine was to long about 4 months ago. I used a dremel and cutoff wheel, just take your time and de-bur the edge.see this post http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/41520-throttle-tamer-not-bad-5.html

Keep track of which cable goes where, but if it goes together wrong it will be obvious as the throttle will not move or will move in the wrong direction.

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Tyler,
Thank you, the Haynes manual mentions nothing about the 3rd screw. The first 2 to remove the lower panel are easy and obvious. When I make my 2nd attempt, I'll be sure to have a new pair of grips on hand anyways.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the screws, you have to loosen up the throttle cable adjuster so you have play inbetween the housing and the cables. They'll hold everything together even with the screws out if adjusted correctly (fairly tight). The adjuster needs to be adjusted IN TOWARDS THE HOUSING to loosen the play...

A trick for removing the grip is using an air compressor with a pointy tip on the end. Place it between the throttle tube and the grip, it'll literally expand the grip, twist and pull and it should come off...

If you have don't have an air compressor, WD40 and something thin and NOT sharp gently worked between the grip and throttle body should work as well.. Clean off the WD40 real well before re-installing (they say hair spray works well)..

BTW, the pull (open ) cable goes on the top, its the cable with the adjuster and lock plastic lock nut...

Good luck...

Last edited:

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the screws, you have to loosen up the throttle cable adjuster so you have play inbetween the housing and the cables. They'll hold everything together even with the screws out if adjusted correctly (fairly tight). The adjuster needs to be adjusted IN TOWARDS THE HOUSING to loosen the play...

+1 Just to clarify, I believe there are two adjusters. One on the attachment point on the handlebars, and one near the throttle body cam just below the frame on the left side (sitting on bike). I adjusted both at the end but do not remember if I loosened both during the removal for more cable slack.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 Just to clarify, I believe there are two adjusters. One on the attachment point on the handlebars, and one near the throttle body cam just below the frame on the left side (sitting on bike). I adjusted both at the end but do not remember if I loosened both during the removal for more cable slack.

You are correct but the ones at the lower end are somewhat a PIA to get to (but certainly not impossible from the left side). Unless you can't get enough play at the top, then yes, you do have to loosen up at least one of the adjusters at the throttle bodies...

The last time I had my throttle cable off for servicing (lube), loosening just the top adjuster was enough.

Once one cable up top is off the inner throttle tube, there's lots of play. I've found a needle nose pliers works very well grabbing the end of the inner cable and getting the lead "barrell" end out of the throttle tube. Be gentle, you don't want to fray the end of the cable from the barrell man handling it...

IMHO, if you have to adjust the lowers, when re-assembling, I try and get the upper adjustment about halfways. This is so I can still adjust the play AND be able to remove the cables for maintainance (without screwing with the lower adjusters)

For the Op, it may be easier to remove the grip from the old throttle tube once its off the bike (clamping in a vise, ON THE CABLE END, etc). If you know your NOT going to use the old throttle tube, its plastic, crunch it in a vise without harming the grip..

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to Townsend and all the others who responded. I'm going to try this, but if I get over my head, I'll bring it to the local shop. I'm more used to bicycle mechanics, where the consequence of of a badly adjusted shifter/brake cable does not have 80+ HP waiting for you. Also, it's funny that moto grips are usually $10-15, while mountain bike grips start there and go up to $30+!

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, to echo Ghostdog, who has a throttle tamer, and do you like it, did it make a difference? I'm still waiting to see if Killernoodle is still doing his clutch mod-thing.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the tamer install with my FZ1 bar mod this summer. It helps some but it's a toss up if i'd do it again. What I noticed most that I had to twist the throttle a little more from stops and it has smoothed out the of/on a bit but its still noticeable.

I like the original clutch set-up but then again I grew up with dirt bikes and manual transmissions.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to Townsend and all the others who responded. I'm going to try this, but if I get over my head, I'll bring it to the local shop. I'm more used to bicycle mechanics, where the consequence of of a badly adjusted shifter/brake cable does not have 80+ HP waiting for you. Also, it's funny that moto grips are usually $10-15, while mountain bike grips start there and go up to $30+!

Just take your time, if you can change the cables on a bicycle handle bar throttle, you can change out the throttle tube... Just an extra cable really...

PM me if you get stuck. Also, you have a PM...