• Change brands / type of bike

Votes: 85 18.1%

• Total voters

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
No, it's not me selling the Givi's

As for the choice I looked at quite a few bikes, I looked at an FZ8, even the Z1000. However I have a number of constraints on me, one of which is that the bike *must* fit down a quite narrow alleyway to get into my metal shed without damage. That's a 60 degree turn in a very short space. It's one of the things that sold me on the FZ6 2 years back.

So I already knew an FZ1 was never going to fit because of the width. The FZ8 again, is pretty wide at the backend, again it wasn't going to fit. I hasten to add that I'd already widened my gate, changed where it was and the like.

Anyway, so it came down to another 600, or similar. I used to own an SV650, and being very old I figure that Suzuki will be replacing them soon (they did the naked with the Gladius, but I don't like them), so didn't want to buy an almost defunct bike. I'd already tested a Bandit, too wide.

That left me with one of the sport 600's, the R6, CBR600RR, GSXR600, ZX6R, or maybe at a push the Triumph Daytona. So I looked at prices, and they have shot up since last year to stupid amounts, over £8000 in almost all cases. No way that I'm going to spend around £8500 on and R6, are Yamaha serious really?

Short story is that I got the ZX6R for just over 7K, and tbh I'm glad I made the choice. Nice bike, going to be a pain running in at 4k, but worth the wait. I keep zipping out on it doing 30 or 40 miles on an evening, hoping to get it run in before Easter :)

never know I might be back in a few years revisiting the FZ8, if they lose the stupid exhausts and tuck 'em under the seat. Before anyone points out that the ZX6R also has quite a wide exhaust I shall add that I also got a 2 Bros can thrown in, which is very short and stubby.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^... price, insurance, styling, ergos etc are all important factors...

What surprises me the most is the number of ppl in here who will dismiss a bike all together (even before it's out!!!) by simply looking at a spec sheet... imo you guys need to stop basing everything on spec sheets and/or magazine comparisons and/or online articles etc...

Ride the damn thing and make up your own mind!!! for all you know the FZ8 will feel better and give you more fun than any other bike you've ever ridden!! Spec sheet numbers aren't everything!

I voted for the FZ8 simply because it's new and I really would love to try the damn thing... :rockon:

You just said its unfair for people to base an opinion on figures on a peice of paper, and then said your choice was simply based on the fact it was new!
I think we all would like to try one, whether that converts into a purchase is another question!
I certainly wouldn't be looking at upgrading unless its an absolutely amazing bike, because right now when I eventually pass on the FZ6 to the missus I like the look of a Speed Triple. It will of course come down to three main factors in the end: price, ride and looks!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
unfair?

I never said it was unfair :confused:

I said it surprises me that a lot of ppl bluntly dismiss the FZ8 based on the specs sheet alone, that's all.

And yes, I voted FZ8 to this poll based on superficial reasons, sue me :D

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
For now, my 2008 FZ6 does everything I need it to do. It's perfectly capable of delivering a casual evening ride, thrashing the twisties, mile munching, touring and even drag racing at the local strip.

I plan on keeping it for many years to come! If, at some point I decide the FZ6 no longer tickles my fancy, I'll likely bypass the FZ8 in my decision process. If I'm going to take a step in a different direction, it's not going to be a half-step (FZ8). Rather, I'm going to make a move directly into a liter class bike such as the FZ1.

Of course, this is going to equate to an increased purchase price, decreased fuel economy, increased tire wear, more expensive to insure and decreased fuel range due to a smaller tank and fewer MPG's. Despite all the downsides, owning a 1,000 + CC bike is evidence that you must pay if you want to play. I will likely own an FZ1 or similar bike at some point.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on keeping my FZ6 till it dies. However I like the ABS available on the 8. I don't like the smaller gas tank. However, if the seat is better and aftermarket wind shields and top cases are available, I would get an 8 before I would get an FZ1.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 does everything I need it to do. So untill that changes, I'm more than happy with her.

Small update. Walked into the local dealer to buy a new battery and walked out with a new battery and a new FZ6. Year newer, 5000 miles less then my other one, Corbin seat, scorpion pipes and a power commander. Yep, I like these bikes. :)

magical trev

Reaction score
Visit site
I think Yamaha are just trying to create a new market segment. You KNOW that if it works out, all/most other manufacturers will bring out matching models...

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Or they're just trying to fit into the existing -and growing- naked segment (Shiver 750, Z750, Street Triple 675, Monster 696, etc etc...).

Slater

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have considered the FZ8 if it had the undertail pipes like the FZ6.

i have had my fz6 for 2 going on 3 seasons now, my wife got it after my friend got a fz1 for his first bike and im more than happy with her choice to get the fz6 love the looks and the ride will keep it till it dies and the way i keep stuff
this should be a long time lol,

Every time i get home from a ride i kiss my wife and tell her i love my bike lol
drives her nuts,

Last edited:

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 wavex i think that yamaha is aiming more towards the shiver 750 and street triple 675 market. That market is blowing up fast, it has doubled in number of bikes available in just a few years, and seems logical for yamaha to get a piece of the action there.

I voted to get the FZ8 based on my current financial standings bc it would have about the same insurance rates as my FZ6, but if i finally land a good job in my degree field then my next bike will WITHOUT A DOUBT be the BMW S1000RR!!:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:
:ban: (for openly admitting i want something other than a yamaha)

Rhadamygg

Reaction score
Visit site
Small update. Walked into the local dealer to buy a new battery and walked out with a new battery and a new FZ6. Year newer, 5000 miles less then my other one, Corbin seat, scorpion pipes and a power commander. Yep, I like these bikes. :)

Great job!

Hah, very cool - I just got my '06 - but if it was an incredible deal - I'd get a newer one - so far it is one sweet bike.

RhadamYgg

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, my turn.

I was very attracted by the FZ1 & I still am, but based on the many “bad” reviews it got, is out of the question. The acute lack of low end torque is unacceptable from an 1000cc bike (for me at least).
The only good part about the FZ1, beside the looks and the reliability of Yamaha, is that now you can get a 1-2 years old used one for very cheap - and that’s a lot of reason right there.
But if you want a 1000 engine, there are better bikes out there…

You know how the FZ6 is - good, or bad, you already have it.
Is paid off, is yours, but is an older model bike.

FZ8 is new, is fresh, but is not way far from the FZ6. You may like it more, but you have to ask yourself if is worth the price difference.
I will just go for a better/bigger bike if I’ll have to make the move, but that’s just me.
Plus, I’ll always like try to try different things.

my 2 cents

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're getting away from your trusty FZ6, I'd go with the tried and true F1. I'll take well-developed and tested over a first year model run anytime. (I think it takes anyone a year or so to get the kinks out) JMO

ghostrider951

Reaction score
Visit site
i love my 06 fz6 , it is an awesome bike, it will stay with me hopefully forever, but i do plan on picking up another bike in the future, i will be getting a 2008+ kawasaki zx10r , i just rode one, and it is bad ass:BLAA: