FZ6S1 header question

Parkypine

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Bit of intro, I bought myself this S2 this summer and starting to look into upgrading it once winter rolls in.

0d7e533de1692011bc4d34fa692f5adf.jpg

I have heard that S1 headers are upgrades, and is probably going to be my first upgrade. However, I notice that the S2 uses an O2 sensor while the S1 does not.

How do you go about bypassing the O2? Is the o2 reading passive enough to just keep the sensor unplugged?

Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, what is your long term game plan? What do you expect and what are you willing to do to get there?

You might read my sig below and take note!
My goal was to make breath. Obtain some throttle response, maybe make some more power.

The header alone bolts on with the right combination of parts. Id suggest an S1 oil sump and powder coat it black.
As for the O2 sensor, you can unplug it and not throw a code. The ECU doesnt care about it or the AIS solenoid.
That said its moot point removing the O2 sensor unless you intend to run a fuel controller.

I will share I met my objective performance wise. It is nothing like it was in stock trim...

Take a look at these:
08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Post Fixing Throttle Chop, snatch, rewet, response time. Cheap!

Also, if you snag a Bazzaz Z-Fi, I'll share my S2 fuel map...

Parkypine

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, what is your long term game plan? What do you expect and what are you willing to do to get there?

You might read my sig below and take note!
My goal was to make breath. Obtain some throttle response, maybe make some more power.

The header alone bolts on with the right combination of parts. Id suggest an S1 oil sump and powder coat it black.
As for the O2 sensor, you can unplug it and not throw a code. The ECU doesnt care about it or the AIS solenoid.
That said its moot point removing the O2 sensor unless you intend to run a fuel controller.

I will share I met my objective performance wise. It is nothing like it was in stock trim...

Take a look at these:
08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Post Fixing Throttle Chop, snatch, rewet, response time. Cheap!

Also, if you snag a Bazzaz Z-Fi, I'll share my S2 fuel map...

Long term goal is to have the bike setup for a good blend of riding feel and performance. As the bike is as stock as it can be, I would like to start off with minor performance mods, starting with increasing flow on the intake side and exhaust side. After the plumbing is taken care of, I would like to take care of some chassis performance and aesthetics, doing so with R6 forks, maybe stiffer springs whatnot. With that said, one thing I do want to do is sync the throttle bodies as I think my FZ is vibrating more than it should at higher rpms.

Does the ECU adjust fuel trim a lot based on the lambda readings? For most cases, the ECU fine tunes so having O2s or not doesn't really make a difference, but I do not have any experience with these machines.

But yes, thank you for sharing your build! I did need the guidance as it is my first time messing with bikes. I am currently reading through and doing some research to figure things out for myself.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While reading keep in mind that air flow at idle (Tb sync) is not suspect over 3500 rpm depending on engine load.

If you have vibes above 4k, look elsewhere for the solution.
JM2C - fix the suspension first! Find a set a cans and address the exhaust as one system.

Parkypine

Reaction score
Visit site
While reading keep in mind that air flow at idle (Tb sync) is not suspect over 3500 rpm depending on engine load.

If you have vibes above 4k, look elsewhere for the solution.
JM2C - fix the suspension first! Find a set a cans and address the exhaust as one system.
So what was your solution for catless S1 headers? Are you running a fuel controller to compensate for the lack of O2 sensors? If the ECU doesn't care for lambda readings (very fine tuning based on it) then I do not see why it would moot to keep it disconnected

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So what was your solution for catless S1 headers? Are you running a fuel controller to compensate for the lack of O2 sensors? If the ECU doesn't care for lambda readings (very fine tuning based on it) then I do not see why it would moot to keep it disconnected

The links and signature answer your questions...

08 Raven w/a few mods...
R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6° Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs.. .. .. //snip

Weld in a bung on the S1 header and keep the O2 sensor. I ran it that way for a while and then added the fuel controller...

Parkypine

Reaction score
Visit site
The links and signature answer your questions...

08 Raven w/a few mods...
R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6° Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs.. .. .. //snip

Weld in a bung on the S1 header and keep the O2 sensor. I ran it that way for a while and then added the fuel controller...

Ah sorry, completely overlooked that. I do not plan on running a fuel controller, but welding a bung for the o2 seems useless since the absence of cats will throw off O2 readings anyway

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I snagged the f/c for $100 shipped. I was going to have the local speedshop map it, but they explained they could couldn't record the ignition advance curve while doing the tune so built my own using the wide band O2 logger. The wide band O2 data logger was the cost of a tune.

IMG_20150114_182431_348_zpsmez30j0y.jpg

IMG_20150111_131156_485_zpsu6fd6uuv.jpg