fz6air/fuel mix problem ?

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I'm new in this forum and i have a question ..

I've installed on my fz6naked the LeoVince exhaust with the cat eliminator pipe together with an BMC Air filter ..

After talking to some friends of mine, they said that the air/fuel mixture leans out too much , and that there is a high possibility of severe damage to the engine ..

Is this true ?

I also ask to an Yamaha dealer to set the mixture right but he said to me that the air / fuel mixture can't be manualy modified and that the engine should be fine ..

I'm a little bit confused ..

Last edited:

neonking2

Reaction score
Visit site
you should be fine with the mods youve made,

but to get the most from them add a power commander or up the settings thru the clock diag menu
increase the c1 and c2 values

use the search! some good info on it

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
A rule of thumb most people work by is that an aftermarket exhaust is fine without a PCIII but once you add an airfilter and anything else you really need one and to have it tuned properly. You could damage it and it will probably run pretty badly.
From memory depending on your year bike some can't have the maps modified so you definately would need a PCIII or similar.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
The strange thing is that my bike runs now much better than it did before ...

I reached top speed a few days ago, here in Greece we measure speed in km/h, at stunning 257 km/h ! Without the mods top speed was reached at about 235 km/h ..

Is this something i have to be worried about ? Is my engine about to blow up, or does the O2 sensor recognize the lean mixture and forces more fuel in it ?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll have to take this with a pinch of salt since I'm just saying what I seem to remember someone else saying but:

If the dealer said it can't be manually changed then you have a model (like mine) that can't have the chip changed, you need a piggyback system to do that
You would probably be running lean since the bike is lean to start with and it is possible you will damage your bike.

Your bike has a small amount of self correction (I beleive), but not to a level that will fix issues like this

Maybe do a search of the forums and someone else with similar mods will have made a similar subject with a good answer, or check out your aftermarket exhaust manufacturers site, it should contain information on what is necessary for your bike, ie most exhausts can go on a standard bike without the need (but will benefit from) a tune

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
Problem solved !

The bike's mixture CAN be changed via the select+reset buttons on the console

I added +24 on each value C1 and C2 , so the mix is now richer than before.

The shooting from the exhaust , especially while decelerating , has almost disappeared ...

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Problem solved !

The bike's mixture CAN be changed via the select+reset buttons on the console

I added +24 on each value C1 and C2 , so the mix is now richer than before.

The shooting from the exhaust , especially while decelerating , has almost disappeared ...
Could you please explain how you did this in more detail.

I have no power commander and run a Scorpion exhaust and K&N air filter, my bike does run lean.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
Proceed at your own risk ... It could cause severe damage to your engine if you lean out or richen the air/fuel mixture too much!

Here is what i did , and it worked fine ...

1. We push at the same time the SELECT + RESET and keep them pushed

2. We turn the key to ON while continuing to keep our buttons pushed SELECT + RESET

3. Wait 3 to 4 seconds to show us in the speedometer DIAG and stop pushing the SELECT + RESET buttons

4. We push the SELECT to show the CO

5. Hold the SELECT + RESET to show us the C1

6. Hold the SELECT + RESET to go into C1 which shows a number that is the regulation of the current mixture in the cylinders 1st + 4th think (mine was -2, note the number you have in case you want to reset)

7. We push SELECT to add fuel, while RESET to remove

8. Hold the SELECT + RESET to get out of the C1

9. We push SELECT to display the C2

10. Hold the SELECT + RESET to get into C2 which shows a number that is the regulation of the current mixture in the cylinders 2nd + 3rd think (mine was 8, note the number you have)

11. We repeat ,as on step 7 (Add fuel)

12. Hold the SELECT + RESET to get out of the C2

13. Close the switch by turning the key to OFF

Hope it helps!Worked for me ...

Be very careful with the settings.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Ok, my bike is stock standard. And running a little rich :confused:

I've seen this function, but wasn't sure how it works, and wasn't going to play. The reverse should work too? ie turning down the c1 and c2 should lean it out a little.

The question is, how much is too much? Either way?

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Ok. As i said, bike is stock standard, but was running a little rich (since i had the head redone). Running just a little lumpy, only ever felt anything when in low revs, and you hit the throttle. Was especially bad when taking the mrs to work (extra weight, low speed, low revs)

SO i played with this yesterday, dropped C1 and C2 to -5 on the way home. Definite improvement, you could feel she was noticeably happier. Not quite right yet though, dropped to -10 on both this morning.

Totally better. Smoother engine running, much sharper throttle response, and by the gods she goes now. She has been softer since i fitted a -2 back sprocket, but this has brought back the zoom.

This is DEFINITELY one of the best "tweaks" available in your garage, and anyone who has aftermarket exhausts and such could use it to balance any difference.

The question again is: how much is too much? (either way)

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful leaning out the mixture , you can damage your bike.

It maybe feel smoother and more efficient, but this doesn't mean necessarily that this is healthy for your engine.

For example , when my bike was running lean i managed to push it to 257km/h top speed !

but the moment i added fuel to enrich the mixture back to normal, my top speed dropped to about 242km/h.

the point is that you may feel an performance increase , though it could damage your engine due to the over-leaned mixture

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Excellent advice, i have a cb400 with a hole burned through the piston to prove that too lean is a problem.

As to powercommander ... if only i could :)

Do i need to get to a bike shop with a ... exhaust sniffer thing?
If i set the Co to zero, you can smell the petrol. And she runs bad. Now i assumed that the Co woul run to 100, but NO, it goes 100 and something both ways, + and -.

How do you find a good way of getting it right?

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Ok, i had a really good convo with a race mechanic, who works on R6's and R1's.
The R1 has a similar Co settings as we do, except it has four. They do NOT apply to the pistons numbers, as i had thought, but to various stages of the "carb".
I can't recall exactly which is what, main floats and so on, BUT with the fazer it's a lot easier.

C1 = low end
C2 = top end

Increasing C0 increases fuel, decreasing C0 decreases fuel.
While the numbers go over a 100, staying within 30 either way is safe.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something from the FJR forum, RECORD YOUR #'s before you change them in case you need to go back to stock.

Also, for the US, the option of getting into the system and changing the settings is not possible without a wire jumper. I do not know if the
FZ6 is also locked out... Mine runs good so I haven't messed with it...

Scott