FZ6 Year Comparison

peterbooth

Reaction score
Visit site
I've recently become interested in the FZ6 and I'm thinking about getting one. Is there any year that is known to have issues? Anything I should be aware of as I peruse craigslist/ebay?

Thanks so much. Looking forward to joining the ranks of FZ6 owners.

Peter

Hey Peter -

I just got my FZ about 1 month ago, so take my advice for what it's worth... Anyway, I picked up a 2006 model with about 3,400 miles on it. It is an AWESOME bike. It will cruise along nicely on your morning commute, or it will fly down the highway like it was shot out of a cannon. It is equally happy performing either task.
The only strange thing that I have noticed on this bike is the very small friction zone on the clutch. I thought for sure that I bought a bike with a toasted clutch - nope, that is just the way the FZ6 is... Also, some people do not like the stock seat and windshield. Mine is all stock so far, but am thinking about getting a taller windshield for longer trips.
As for which model year you should get, from my reading on this forum I would recommend 2007 or newer models. The '04-'06 models are fine, but the 2007 and newer ones are better.
Get one, and get it soon! You will not regret it.

Rob

I've recently become interested in the FZ6 and I'm thinking about getting one. Is there any year that is known to have issues? Anything I should be aware of as I peruse craigslist/ebay?

Thanks so much. Looking forward to joining the ranks of FZ6 owners.

Peter

:welcome: I have the 06 and love it. The 04-06 bikes are the same. The 07-09 are the same but have added an 02 sensor, different fairing, different swingarm and beefier front brakes.

Personally, I would let price, mileage and condition be your guide 04-09 ar all great bikes. Oh yeah, get the red one :thumbup:

Don't let the small friction zone scare you. It's really not that bad. I picked my 08 up on Saturday, and haven't had any problems with the clutch.
Reading posts here about the "on/off" nature of the clutch made me very nervous. Just let it out slow a few times and you'll see where it starts to grab. Happy hunting :thumbup:

i grabbed up as my first bike an 08 fz6 and havent had any problem with the clutch. But then again the only thing i have to compare it to is my cars, or the dirtbikes i used to ride. neither seem to be a like for like comparison.

The 04's, and first half of 05's had throttle position sensor issues, that should have been replaced under warranty. (denoted by a dimple on the VIN plate)

They also had a "recall" on the front sprocket nut, also denoted by a dimple on the VIN plate. 04's and 05's should have 2 stamp marks on the VIN plate, showing that this work was done.

Past that, some people have run into steering head bearing problems, as far as water getting in and corroding them, causing them to fail prematurely. This is relatively easily fixed with a set of tapered bearings from allballsracing.com, for about $35-$40.

Back