FZ6 vs CBR600F Sport

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
A buddy of mine went ahead and bought himself a 2001 CBR600F the other day. It's in mint condition and certainly doesn't look like it's nine years old.

Anywho... We went for a ride today, and I took it for granted that the Honda would smoke the FZ... Hell no!:BLAA: The two bikes perform very similar, but I certainly had the advantage with my fizzer over the CBR. Especially during acceleration, but also top-speed.

I just had to share:cheer:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that was an old-tech engine when it was new, right? Carbed, lower power vs the real CBR600? Just wondering. I had it in my head that the F's were like 90hp at the wheel too.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that was an old-tech engine when it was new, right? Carbed, lower power vs the real CBR600? Just wondering. I had it in my head that the F's were like 90hp at the wheel too.

Up until 2001 that's probably true. From 2001 and up it got FI and split seat. Looks like a true r-bike.

2001HondaCBR600F4i002.jpg

Last edited:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
a quick googling says with a pipe, k&n filter and power commander a 2001 should dyno around 102 - 104 at the wheel.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
This didn't have anything to do with skills, though... Straight line, I gained up on him all the way up to 200 kph. Not fast, but steadily so. I was too far behind for this to be caused by slip streaming, and I pulled away on a second try.

The CBR has a dry weight of 170 kg. The FZ approx 190. That's 20 kg difference. My friend's weight is 95 kg, I weigh 76. Still the CBR should have a kg advantage at this point. Further, the fuel tanks were allmost full on both bikes. I have devil cans, he got original exhaust.

Go figure. The only rational explanation I can see, is the fact that he bought the bike from a 50 year old woman, and that the bike could be lazy from that. Allthough this woman had traded it in for a CBR600RR track bike.

I have a mutant FZ:rockon:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
or you dropped a gear and he didn't... or he dropped his 5 seconds after you making you a bit ahead on the rpm range giving you that extra uummpphh... or his air filter is a bit clogged up and he's down 5HP... who knows/cares? :) Both bike have about 100HP and 45ft.lb of torque... at similar weight, they should perform similarly in a straight line indeed and you confirmed that.

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 really is a super performer. My 2004 ZX6RR (600cc version) doesn't feel much faster than my FZ6 was. In fact, I'd have to say the FZ6 has better acceleration, had that on/off switch point where it jumps forward revving hard. Sadly my ZX6RR doesn't have that feeling. It was one of the things that surprised/disappointed me about my Ninja when I got it, it doesn't seem faster at all. It smoothly accelerates but doesn't have that hit that the FZ6 had. :(

The guy at the shop said he liked my bike a lot (600cc) but that the ZX6R (636cc) had a better punch. I think he was right. Love my bike, but it doesn't feel as brutal and potent. It's smoother and more refined, frankly I don't feel as "bad a$$" riding it as I did on my FZ6. Not that I care how I'm perceived or feel, as I'm more interested in the ride, but it's interesting how different the 2 bikes feel.

Found this post interesting. The FZ6 really surprises that's for sure. I would say never to underestimate it. Wish I still had mine.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Interesting

When I bought my FZ6 new in 2004, I still owned my 2000 CBR600F4 for a few months before selling it.

My F4 was definitely faster than the FZ6, but I expected it to be. Everything about the F4 was sportier from the handling to the bodywork to the uncomfortable riding position. I was especially amazed at how quiet wind-noise wise the F4 was as compared to the FZ6. That's my one real disappointment with the FZ6. Oh, the transmission on the F4 was buttery smooth as compared to the tractor transmission that yamaha installed in my FZ6. :rolleyes:

I still have a corbin seat and a set of fiberglass race bodywork for the F4 that I need to sell. Anyone want to buy the stuff? :)