FZ6 US Pony Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
What part of Massachusetts are you and Chuck in? I'm trying to figure out how to include everyone around here that wanted to participate.

Maycyn, let me know if you don't get my pm - for some reason I replied but it doesn't show up in my sent messages.

Just a suggestion...you can always ride in groups during the Pony Express...just make sure the bag keeps going "south" if possible. I realize sometimes during the weekday due to work related stuff, not much traveling unless of course your schedule allows it.

fig4.jpg

Don't worry, it's ok to be over 18 years of age :) Safe passage guys!

Fred

Last edited:

Maycyn

Reaction score
Visit site
I got your Message Have2BeFree and reply sent!

To keep it all updated for the rest of you, I'll be leaving Maine on May 16th with the bag and passing it off in Scotia NY on May 17th! As the date gets a little closer I'll post up a link with the route I'm taking on Google maps.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just a suggestion, i don't know how much the givi rear luggage case costs, but i think that would be a great holder for the bag and everyone can chip in and buy it that way. Are the rear givi hard to change from bike to bike.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Folks,

I am in the process of finalizing the ride logo.

The pony express bag has a large side pocket to carry a phone or sunglasses and a mesh water bottle holder. It features a quick-release buckle closure on the flap and an adjustable shoulder strap. It will be black and grey. The material is 600d polycanvas and is quite strong. It should carry plenty of "letters" just like the old leather ones used in the 19th. century.

The logo will say Pony Express ....the rider logo image and below it FZ6-Forum.com.

If there is enough demand I can make extra versions of the bag w/logo and perhaps a t-shirt as well.

Fred

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
to whomever is riding to san Francisco:

The Pony Express Western Business Headquarters was located in San Francisco at 617 Montgomery Street (presently the location of the California National Bank). After being placed on a steamer for Sacramento, the route generally followed present-day U.S. 50 through El Dorado County over Echo Summit to Lake Tahoe. Remount and relay stations along this route are marked as State Historical Landmarks.

It would be totally cool to take a photo/do handoffs at actual pony express stations. While this is far fetched, in some instances, it could be easily accomplished.

California Pony Express Stations

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
to whomever is riding to san Francisco:

The Pony Express Western Business Headquarters was located in San Francisco at 617 Montgomery Street (presently the location of the California National Bank). After being placed on a steamer for Sacramento, the route generally followed present-day U.S. 50 through El Dorado County over Echo Summit to Lake Tahoe. Remount and relay stations along this route are marked as State Historical Landmarks.

It would be totally cool to take a photo/do handoffs at actual pony express stations. While this is far fetched, in some instances, it could be easily accomplished.

California Pony Express Stations

Along those same lines, below is a large map of the original Pony Express route. Perhaps someone with time and likes to play with Google Earth and can create a map link a modern day route using the road system that mimics the path used below. Some places are museums or forts while others are cities.

Pony_Express_Map.jpg

Fred

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
so do we have an eta for the dropoff's? A set timing schedule would help, unless we plan on doing something like call the next guy in line when you get the bag and make plans.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
This may help...I know you can setup where on google maps we can each put a marker on the map where we are located and then we would get a better of idea of who is where and what routes to plan and when.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
so do we have an eta for the dropoff's? A set timing schedule would help, unless we plan on doing something like call the next guy in line when you get the bag and make plans.

I thought about a timing schedule but with people working during the week etc., it is better to have a loose arrangement to call the next guy in line. As long as the bag heads toward a general "easterly" direction, it should be sufficient.

Doing a Google map mash-up of members involved in this project might be cool if there any volunteers. If you have a Twitter account, it might be fun to get text messages from the road somewhere once the ride is underway.

Fred

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still up or covering Virginia. Is this still the proposed route?

It looks like nobody in the Carolinas has signed up for this yet. And that is a good portion of the route.

Anyway, let me know when and where I'm needed. I'll be there. (except 6/18 - 6/28... vacation.)

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still up or covering Virginia. Is this still the proposed route?

Anyway, let me know when and where I'm needed. I'll be there. (except 6/18 - 6/28... vacation.)

I will be mailing the bag to Maycyn within a couple of weeks. She will be doing the first portion starting in eastern Maine with another friend. Let's PM after she get's underway.

Fred

mbruegge

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the idea of this ride. But whats the official route, and who are the riders? It seems like its going to fail with little communication.

mbruegge

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about a timing schedule but with people working during the week etc., it is better to have a loose arrangement to call the next guy in line. As long as the bag heads toward a general "easterly" direction, it should be sufficient.

Doing a Google map mash-up of members involved in this project might be cool if there any volunteers. If you have a Twitter account, it might be fun to get text messages from the road somewhere once the ride is underway.

Fred

See what i mean. "easterly direction"

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
See what i mean. "easterly direction"(I was drinking Liquid Wrench when I said this)

The bag will "wander" from the east coast to the west. There is a listing of riders and states to be covered. The only rule for routing is it has to move in a general westerly direction with one or more riders joining in. If there are large gaps in volunteer riders between one state and another, it will have to wait until someone picks up the slack.

The only rules:

1. Those taking the bag should have donated money to the charitable causes mentioned in previous posts. The amount you dontate or raise is based your individual choice/effort. You're on the honor system. :)

2. The bag should only be taken on the Pony Express by an FZ6.

The custom bag should be with the first rider in Maine by the week of April 27. We will keep track of donation levels on the web site. There will be no money or donation slips included. The bag will be symbolic and people are free to add any reasonable "goody" they see fit for general use. I plan to include in the bag a CD-ROM version of Unbuntu and a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Van-Halen/dp/B00004Y6O9"]Van Halen 1[/ame] music disk for those who need a little motivation before starting the ride each day.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.