FZ6 US Pony Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

I think it might make an interesting "class" project to take a rider with a bag of goodies from the Eastern US and travel through the various states. The rider would then hand off the bag to the next rider along the way. He or she would eventually end up on somewhere on the west coast. It would be similar to the way in which mail was delivered in 19th. century.

rider1a-albums-2009-fz6-pony-express-ride-usa-portion-picture3371-2009-fz6-pony-express-usa-portion.jpg

This would have to be perhaps in the early summer to allow everyone to avoid snow and ice. We could post with Google Maps the progress on this forum.

Any takers?

Last edited:

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Im def down for that haha. That would be awesome actually. You could even throw in stuff along the way like pics or something small. I'd say whoever starts, take a pic of yourself and the FZ and print it out and put in bag. Then when you hand it off, next guy takes a pic, so on and so forth.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im in.. i could do CT and into NY or PA depending on the path of this progect. I wonder if we could get the local news agencys involved and do a mjor ride from say like ME to CA. would be cool to bring something from the east and give it to the west. something like sister citys or something like that. would be cool to get something back from the west to give back to the east. sounds like fun :)

dark_isz

rejected liberal
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a cool idea. We should work the Dragon Meet in as a stop!

Off Topic to the OP:

Are you UFO, the mod on Sport-touring.net? Or do you just like his avatar? ;)

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like fun. Here's another idea to throw out there - what if we collected donations for a charity along the way?

I could cover upstate NY to VT/NH/PA/MA/NJ since I am pretty centrally located.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a cool idea. We should work the Dragon Meet in as a stop!

Ok....I will mark down the various states. Some things to consider....

1. What could be the official start date?
2. Anybody in Maine that can be the starter bike?

One idea is to link the riders from the states who submit their request on here via Google mash-up or Mapsource of shortest distance between the most points. Some motorcycle web sites doing tracking projects like this have used the GPS locator service called SPOT.

I also request to ride part of the Texas portion. I can ride 500-1000 miles in/around central Texas.

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
How about getting every state involved. Maybe zig zag the thing North to South, East to West across the entire US. That would be pretty cool.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I can pick up in Southern Indiana through KY to wherever. What if each person that carries the bag for one leg adds their picture or signature or some small personal item, kind of like a time capsule. Makes the whole thing more personal. Just a thought.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Southern California (Los angeles to santa barbara or san luis obispo since I tend to ride that a lot anyways)

This would be fun to put a fun trinket, local postcard, or something you'd get on vacation. a postcard would be easiest to post to the forum when the bag is done travelling...if it ever stops...

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im in for doing all the states, im in FLORIDA and ready and willing. I think it would be a great thing to pass from state to state, and the news stations would put the FORUM on the map (pun intended LOL).

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Hey,

I think it might make an interesting "class" project to take a rider with a bag of goodies from the Eastern US and travel through the various states. forum.

Any takers?

I'm in and, depending on what month(s) this is done, I can pretty much fill in any gap in states, since I'll be doing lots of two-wheel travel this year. I'll be heading to UT in May, IN an surrounding states in June, TN and surrounding states in July...

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Count me in. I'm in NE MA and if there are others from this area we can ride together.

Status
Not open for further replies.