FZ6 US Pony Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know how I missed this for so long...I'm in if y'all will let me for TX.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
After having talked to another motorcycycle web site user that did a similar "Pony Express" style ride, I think several new areas to explore are important.

It is really tough to coordinate a ride of this distance with so many potential riders from all over the US that the rules need to be loose and the route pretty flexible.

If we start in June 1, the ride can start and then stop when the donor rider list exhausts. With many people working long hours in this recession/depression, it may be only the weekend when someone can commit. The route could start in Maine and follow the path of the volunteer riders take it. I will have a nylon bag with Pony Express on it. When a hand-off happens, a picture can be taken for posting on the FZ6 forum.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After having talked to another motorcycycle web site user that did a similar "Pony Express" style ride, I think several new areas to explore are important.

It is really tough to coordinate a ride of this distance with so many potential riders from all over the US that the rules need to be loose and the route pretty flexible.

If we start in June 1, the ride can start and then stop when the donor rider list exhausts. With many people working long hours in this recession/depression, it may be only the weekend when someone can commit. The route could start in Maine and follow the path of the volunteer riders take it. I will have a nylon bag with Pony Express on it. When a hand-off happens, a picture can be taken for posting on the FZ6 forum.
That sounds like a very good idea, I am looking forward to watching this develop.
Good luck to all of you who make it happen.

Nelly

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
...but I do not deliver in the rain!!

newman.jpg

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Count me in (I'm a bit late to the party).

I'm in Michigan, but I could ride 300-400 miles from here most days (x2 for return trip). My schedule is also pretty flexible in the summer. I'm close to Ohio and Indiana as well.

I'm definitely riding to Kansas City around June 8th and returning to Michigan about 8-10 days later if that helps.

mbruegge

Reaction score
Visit site
I can do Missouri starting in St. Louis. It seems like a no brainer, but the ride needs a stop in St. Joseph Missouri where the Pony Express actually started in the 1800's. Just a thought.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I can do Missouri starting in St. Louis. It seems like a no brainer, but the ride needs a stop in St. Joseph Missouri where the Pony Express actually started in the 1800's. Just a thought.

Hey, there mbruegge, how ya doing? I have said I could pick up the package in Evansville IN and bring it to STL. I could probably be convinced to ride with you to St Joseph.

On a side note, I might just have to get another FZ6 ride together this summer. Last year we had quite a few in attendance.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fizzeronians,

Ok folks...we are a few months away. I am going to have a Pony Express bag with logo made. I will mail it to the first rider's address. That person will start the ride in the eastern part of Maine along the border.

Anybody want to step-in and take the bag and head south? FYI, the bag will not contain ANY AIG pay bonuses!

Fred

Maycyn

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I read through all of the posts, so correct me if I'm wrong but you guys don't have someone here in Maine to start this off?

I live in Downeast Maine (Southwest Harbor) and would be happy to step in if you can't find anyone else. The only problem my doing this would present is that I'm leaving for my own trip to California on my bike on may 16th, so I would be starting this a bit early.

Let me know if you'd like the bag to start its journey across the country with me while I start mine!

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I read through all of the posts, so correct me if I'm wrong but you guys don't have someone here in Maine to start this off?

I live in Downeast Maine (Southwest Harbor) and would be happy to step in if you can't find anyone else. The only problem my doing this would present is that I'm leaving for my own trip to California on my bike on may 16th, so I would be starting this a bit early.

Let me know if you'd like the bag to start its journey across the country with me while I start mine!

Hi,

Sure...so we can start May 16th, you will need to have a picture of yourself in front of Fort Kent, Maine landmark with the Pony Express bag (post the link the picture for viewing on here) and head south. If you can provide a link to Google Maps which route you are taking that might help.

Better yet, for those with findmespot.com GPS tracker system that would be really fantastic way of tracking your progress.
flash.gif

The next hand off is going to be someone on the list below in the next few states south of Maine. Just PM the next pony rider like Have2BeFree or chuckfz6ryder.

Please confirm this and let me know your mailing address so I can ship the Pony Express bag to you. This bag will go with each Pony Express rider. Each rider can take a souvenir from every stop like a picture card or trinket of sorts and place it in the bag.

Fred

------

FZ6 Pony Express Riders

rider1a - From Louisiana border to Austin, Texas

gpd211 - southern half of ohio and indiana (southern half)

dark_isz - North Carolina

Have2BeFree - upstate NY to VT/NH/PA/MA/NJ

chuckfz6ryder - Massachusetts

shaggystyle - Southern Indiana through KY

afpreppie04 - New Mexico - He will take control of the Pony Express from rgatling coming from Austin, Texas and ride to ??

MarinaFazer - Southern California (Los Angeles to Santa Barbara)

scottsst - Washington

teeter - VA, WV

opds9091 - Florida

doc_simple - Oregon

CCHOUSEKY - help Shaggy out with the Kentucky leg.

agmom98 - UT in May, IN an surrounding states in June, TN and surrounding states in July.

Wanderingpie - Oregon

Norm - NE MA

oogie - Ga.,Tenn.,Al., Fl.

Donnie869 - I could help "opds9091" with Florida.

rgatling - I can help out with part of Central TX. Roy Gatling will ride from Austin, Texas to New Mexico hand off.

mpb218 - Eastern CT here, I could get any state around me, RI is close.

ant_mb - I'm available for NJ, Eastern PA and some of DE.

scottsst - Oregon or Idaho/Utah.

mglowe - I will gladly do Iowa and Missouri to start with.

krid80 - I could go to the Illinois Indiana border or the Illinois/Kentucky or Missouri/Arkansas or etc.

shreveport1 - I could pick it up somewhere around Vicksburg Missisippi,and bring across Louisiana to Waskom Tx.

Brandad - I can take the hand-off from MarinaFazer and cover the central California area from San Luis Obispo to the San Francisco Bay area.

doc_simple - Looks like we are talking about a June 1st start? I will be heading from Oregon to Vermont via FZ6 pony on June 13th. I will be heading back about the 25th of June to arrive back in Portland sometime after the 4th of July. So I can do huge swaths of the country.

Suggested non-profit groups

Cancer Research Foundation
Susan B. Kohmen Foundation (for breast cancer)
Arthritis Foundation
Make a Wish Foundation
Alzheimer's Foundation
Shriner's Hospital
St. Jude's Childrens Hospital
Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation (PBTF) Ride-4-Kids

My preference is for the PBTF since they often are involved with various motorcycle fund-raising efforts and have an excellent cause too. I guess each person could select one of the above groups and make their check(s) payable to the above organization.

START DATE: June 1, 2009 from The historic Fort Kent, Maine
FINISH DATE: ?? The Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, California
DISTANCE: 5,198 miles based on the last map route design.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't wait to help get this started and May is fine with me! Are donations going to go in the pony express bag as well?

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, I still want to be involved but if the bag isnt in Oregon by june 10 ish I will be heading east (june 14th) through the great lakes into canada then down into vermont.

Be a bummer if I cant help, but be a bigger bummer if I left y'all hanging.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't wait to help get this started and May is fine with me! Are donations going to go in the pony express bag as well?

I thought about it but if the bag get's wet or is lost, that would be a tragedy. Better yet, we can have a list inside the bag which people write down how much they donated to the organization on a piece of paper inside a waterproof pouch. When the ride is completed, we can make a master list (scan in the paper) of what organization received monies from individuals on FZ6-forum.com.

Fred

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
Count me in...I can do southeast mass/RI. Maybe me and Chuck can team up and do it together seeing as we are close to each other.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Count me in...I can do southeast mass/RI. Maybe me and Chuck can team up and do it together seeing as we are close to each other.

What part of Massachusetts are you and Chuck in? I'm trying to figure out how to include everyone around here that wanted to participate.

Maycyn, let me know if you don't get my pm - for some reason I replied but it doesn't show up in my sent messages.

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Attleboro, about 10mins north of Providence RI. Chuck is in lakeville if I recall...bout 25 minutes east of me towards the cape.

Status
Not open for further replies.