FZ6 Touring Windshield Concern

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Folks.

My OEM windshield is starting to get a bit yellow and I figure its time to replace it with something like a Givi or Puig taller shield but I was a bit concern.

You see, I have an Arai RXQ helmet and the whole reason I got that helmet was because it had amazing airflow :thumbup:; does anyone know how much a taller windshield will affect air going into my helmet because it gets really hot here in Texas:( and I figure I can live with an OEM size shield if the taller screen will negate most of the air that hits my face but I do prefer the taller one.

If anyone has any kind of taller shield for your FZ6 can you chime in and tell me how much airflow has its affected your helmet?

Thanks and keep the shiny side up. :)

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had a stock windshield, my bike had a Puig (far as I know anyway, it's pure black, I think I traced the markings to Puig once) when I bought it. I'm not tall unless you're a midget (5'8"ish), and I get plenty of wind in the face. In fact, I use the airflow to clear my faceshield in the rain... by tucking almost all the way on the tank.

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had a stock windshield, my bike had a Puig (far as I know anyway, it's pure black, I think I traced the markings to Puig once) when I bought it. I'm not tall unless you're a midget (5'8"ish), and I get plenty of wind in the face. In fact, I use the airflow to clear my faceshield in the rain... by tucking almost all the way on the tank.

Thanks Dash, that was pretty much my only concern regarding a taller wind screen. Now armed with this information I can safely buy a touring wind screen and not be afraid of it putting the excellent airflow of my helmet to waste. :)

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a tall windscreen and an Arai RXQ helmet. The tall windscreens only take the wind off your body and lower shoulders. Unless you are very short your RXQ airflow will not be affected at all. In fact, you may find the wind noise louder as the tall screen pushes the air up under your helmet a bit more. Earplugs remedy this though.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 with the tall Yamaha screen. I am 5'10" and it does move the airflow up on the body but still lets air on the helmet. HOWEVER, It creates so much buffeting that it has gone into the scrap pile. Well not scrap but not on the bike any longer. ;)

Marc

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
The Madstad screens are totally adjustable, so you can make the wind come over any way you like. Down side is that they cost a bit, but for me it was worth it.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Some posters have had success going shorter. I'm going to be trying that as soon as I get a second stock windshield.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6ft 6 and have a Madstad on my bike. It's adjustable, but not easily. The position it is in now blocks most of the wind from my body and shoulders, but still allows a good deal of air to get to my helmet.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried the Calsci windshield in large. I returned it the same day. It took away too much from the sporty nature of the fz6. There was no wind flow over my chest which made it too warm and it didn't help significantly when it came noise/buffeting. In fact, the buffeting was possibly worse at highway speeds, but definitely not any better.

You do feel flow over your helmet so it may be acceptable Depending on your environment, but here in SoCal it's way too warm with that air hitting my chest.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
That is what I have been looking for but I am not seeing one for a 06 FZ6. It looks like that is the year of yours. Which windshield and kit did you order ??

Marc

I am a little familiar with Madstad so maybe I can help out. They sell a kit for the '07 and up FZ6 that comes with a metal base that replaces your original windscreen, the brackets attach to this then then you put on the new screen.

For a pre '07 FZ6 I believe you'll need to go with piecing a kit together yourself from their universal / DIY bracket page and universal windshields page. You'll keep your stock screen and need to drill the holes into it for attaching the brackets yourself.

I thought they were pretty friendly when I ordered mine, so you might drop them a line explaining what you want and I bet they will be happy to help you out.

Still very happy with mine on my '07.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Before I crashed my little Fz6Darkness I had put an MRA Vario touring windscreen

MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Yamaha FZ6 S2 Fazer, '07- - TwistedThrottle.com

The main screen body was the same size as the factory and then the spoiler was position adjustable. Being 6'4" I got it where it took I'd say 50% of the wind buffeting off my helmet but I still got smacked in the chest about the same. The helmet buffeting was the worst for me so I liked it. I was about to try one more position down to see if it was going to remove the wind to the chest.

The guy at the cycle shop I go to said he ordered the yamaha touring windscreen and then took out the spoiler and drilled new holes into the taller screen and said it was perfect.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried the Calsci windshield in large. I returned it the same day. It took away too much from the sporty nature of the fz6. There was no wind flow over my chest which made it too warm and it didn't help significantly when it came noise/buffeting. In fact, the buffeting was possibly worse at highway speeds, but definitely not any better.

You do feel flow over your helmet so it may be acceptable Depending on your environment, but here in SoCal it's way too warm with that air hitting my chest.
I love my tall calsci. But I sit bolt upright and ride on the motorway everday!

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
Before I crashed my little Fz6Darkness I had put an MRA Vario touring windscreen

MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Yamaha FZ6 S2 Fazer, '07- - TwistedThrottle.com

The main screen body was the same size as the factory and then the spoiler was position adjustable. Being 6'4" I got it where it took I'd say 50% of the wind buffeting off my helmet but I still got smacked in the chest about the same. The helmet buffeting was the worst for me so I liked it. I was about to try one more position down to see if it was going to remove the wind to the chest.

The guy at the cycle shop I go to said he ordered the yamaha touring windscreen and then took out the spoiler and drilled new holes into the taller screen and said it was perfect.

Love my MRA, usually set it two notches down from fully extended up. 6'1" and I find it to be the best balance between the stock screens and the potential of "no" airflow to the body. Consistent airflow up to super-legal speeds on closed circuits, according to professional drivers who tell me I shouldn't try this myself. :p