FZ6 Sputtering and stalling

ceaserleo

Reaction score
Visit site
I don’t have think those two wires go to the throttle bodies just run under and around them.. here are more photos

Attachments

• 642EB58D-5CB9-49C4-AB07-28E65B357D9D.jpeg
    642EB58D-5CB9-49C4-AB07-28E65B357D9D.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2620B1EF-9EE1-4DFC-BFA5-283355BC451B.jpeg
    2620B1EF-9EE1-4DFC-BFA5-283355BC451B.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 14
  • BECE6205-5137-46A6-9BFA-2051066F7377.jpeg
    BECE6205-5137-46A6-9BFA-2051066F7377.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 13
  • B061FD00-EFB3-47AD-86CF-E526C4A7FF7C.jpeg
    B061FD00-EFB3-47AD-86CF-E526C4A7FF7C.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 7EF19A41-6BCB-4C33-BECC-3170FB05B690.jpeg
    7EF19A41-6BCB-4C33-BECC-3170FB05B690.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 13

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Naw, leave it here (admin can move if need be).

IMO, look over EVERYTHING, follow wires,.

ANYTHING that's aftermarket and decide if it's installed correctly or even needed, not routed safely, etc... There's SO MUCH piss poor wiring there it's not funny and potentially a fire hazard...

ceaserleo

Reaction score
Visit site
Naw, leave it here (admin can move if need be).

IMO, look over EVERYTHING, follow wires,.

ANYTHING that's aftermarket and decide if it's installed correctly or even needed, not routed safely, etc... There's SO MUCH piss poor wiring there it's not funny and potentially a fire hazard...

Think it’s better off with out for the time being then having a professional rewire the commander ??

ceaserleo

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve been following the wires disconnected several of them and the bike started up okay... still can’t tell since I think I’m over thinking whether it runs well... but the friction zone on the clutch was not as finicky... and I ride half way down the street then noticed my Odometer wasn’t registering.. I assume because of what I disconnected there are 2 connections still on the bike coming from the spliced live wire.. one that goes down into the exhaust cat I guess and the other that goes to this other part of engine idk what it is I’ll circle the connections..the bike stopped starting after the wire smoked but after disconnecting three wires plugs from the dangerous wire it started. I’ll include photos of the ones disconnected now... could I just buy a new oem wiring harness??

Attachments

• EFDDE201-589D-4B67-9DD1-BA13806DFFC8.jpeg
    EFDDE201-589D-4B67-9DD1-BA13806DFFC8.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 27C6BB26-7CC3-4460-8A66-7583812C643A.jpeg
    27C6BB26-7CC3-4460-8A66-7583812C643A.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 17
  • A7203EBC-107F-491F-A0EE-27B6B73E975C.jpeg
    A7203EBC-107F-491F-A0EE-27B6B73E975C.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 16

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The sensor in the photo is the O2 sensor. The fuel injection system needs to determine the amount of fuel to meter. The second photo is what I believe to be a cam position sensor.

Unfortunately there is all sorts of hackery going on here. I’m wondering if a new or used wire harness would be a good investment. It’s a remove and replace item, very easy to undertake.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
-First pic, plus 1, it's the O2 sensor.

-Second pic isn't a cam position sensor (bike doesn't have one), It's the ignition pick up sensor, part #21: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/fz6-fzs6w/electrical-1

Leave both of those alone, unless their "tapped into", then I'd remove any additional, PO, added wires..

You have to be comfortable and KNOW what wires are not stock BEFORE CUTTING ANYTHING off. Aftermarket taps are not stock.

The aftermarket fuel controller probably has a line (or two) tapped into the harness. Follow those from the controller, their probably ok.

** As a side note, I don't care for aftermarket controllers(various reasons) and would remove it altogether. One less thing to adjust/fail, etc...

Again follow the other wires where/to they go to...

Do you have an immobilizer, ABS, etc (non US model bike)?
If so there's additional wiring, but you STILL have a "modded" harness.

BTW, checking an 07 US model parts diagram, I don't see a new harness even available.
If going this route, you'd probably have to go with a used part.

Frankly, I believe you can repair the harness BUT MUST know what stays and what goes...

***Lastly, LUBE your clutch cable, lube it ALOT. As long as it's NOT internally frayed, the action/pull will be WAY SMOOTHER. If that doesn't help, the cable likely needs replacement..

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do people do this to their bikes? Scotchlocks? AHHHH!

A new harness might be overkill. You need to decide if you want 'reliable' or 'good enough'. If it were my bike, I would trace and remove all aftermarket connections and make sure that all factory runs are intact. Do you have the factory wiring diagram? Then I would decide which after-market devices are going back on and wire them correctly. For example, I use this: https://www.fuzeblocks.com

It works great, but there are lots of other good choices. You connect this directly to your battery, then you connect all your accessories to it. No more cutting into the factory harness.

ceaserleo

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the info guys, really. I would also like to just remove the after market wiring and power commander just to take Out another variable. But I don’t know what is and isnt oem. Also those two connections (o2 sensor and the other one included in photos above) go directly to the bike from the cut wire. So I can remove it im sure but don’t know what wire to run to them instead... if I even have the wires since the aftermarket ones are installed. Is the fuse box you recommended really worth it ? Where could I buy a reliable wiring harness and lastly a good informative video for explanations...

Attachments

• 7CD95C11-CAB0-475B-88FA-BE997A24A139.jpeg
    7CD95C11-CAB0-475B-88FA-BE997A24A139.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 5
  • A2247AB2-1CA7-41CB-8EE1-85373011F218.jpeg
    A2247AB2-1CA7-41CB-8EE1-85373011F218.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 5

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Leave CONNECTED, the factory wiring/harness... Do not hack that harness.

ANYTHING, added/spliced, etc coming off of it, "loose it". Electrical tape/heat shrink, etc any "open wounds"(don't want later corrosion setting in).

A pic of the fuel controller/wiring for that would help but again, basically following wiring from that unit and terminating it..

Unless your adding lots of goodies, aftermarket horn, etc, you don't need a fuse box installed, especially right now.

Clean up what you have for now, make it all work as designed (and it's safe/won't catch fire). You can farkle it down the road as you wish.. Delete the "rats nest" some hack installed prior..

ceaserleo

Reaction score
Visit site
Leave CONNECTED, the factory wiring/harness... Do not hack that harness.

ANYTHING, added/spliced, etc coming off of it, "loose it". Electrical tape/heat shrink, etc any "open wounds"(don't want later corrosion setting in).

A pic of the fuel controller/wiring for that would help but again, basically following wiring from that unit and terminating it..

Unless your adding lots of goodies, aftermarket horn, etc, you don't need a fuse box installed, especially right now.

Clean up what you have for now, make it all work as designed (and it's safe/won't catch fire). You can farkle it down the road as you wish.. Delete the "rats nest" some hack installed prior..

Understood sir. Can I post a video on YouTube and share with you guys in depth the wiring and where it goes too? So you can see my dilemma. Without the power commander will the aftermarket exhaust system cause any problems for air/fuel intake. Or just not be optimal. (I’m sure itll run better than it does lol) but I mean after this is resolved ya know.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Understood sir. Can I post a video on YouTube and share with you guys in depth the wiring and where it goes too? So you can see my dilemma. Without the power commander will the aftermarket exhaust system cause any problems for air/fuel intake. Or just not be optimal. (I’m sure itll run better than it does lol) but I mean after this is resolved ya know.

If JUST an aftermarket muffler (with NO DB killer), you'll probably be ok.

If you removed the CATS, air filter box mod, their may be issues.
With too much air flow, the stock ECU can't keep up, lopy idle usually are the results...

*I run OPEN Scorps, no DB killers, everything else stock/installed. Idles dead smooth, runs great, no issues at all...

And you got mail!

ceaserleo

Reaction score
Visit site
If JUST an aftermarket muffler (with NO DB killer), you'll probably be ok.

If you removed the CATS, air filter box mod, their may be issues.
With too much air flow, the stock ECU can't keep up, lopy idle usually are the results...

*I run OPEN Scorps, no DB killers, everything else stock/installed. Idles dead smooth, runs great, no issues at all...

And you got mail!
Hmmm from my understanding previous owner said it has a full system, how can I be sure if only muffler changed..? I doesn’t have the baffles. You don’t have to brag sir! Lol

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the photo you provided of the O2 sensor, your header pipe appears to be OEM/stock. What I don't know is what is downstream of that connector. The vertical section of the stock system is a catalytic converter that feeds mufflers under the seat area. If your vertical section doesn't "budge out" or if it goes straight to the mufflers without a mid pipe, it is not stock.

An FZ6 with just an aftermarket muffler does not require a special engine controller. Moreover, there are fuel trims available (although hidden) in the ECU software.

From my experience on this forum, the aftermarket engine controller you have has the potential to cause normal operating probelms, and has even been the cause of catastrophic engine failure. It's worth your time and effort to remove it.

ceaserleo

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the photo you provided of the O2 sensor, your header pipe appears to be OEM/stock. What I don't know is what is downstream of that connector. The vertical section of the stock system is a catalytic converter that feeds mufflers under the seat area. If your vertical section doesn't "budge out" or if it goes straight to the mufflers without a mid pipe, it is not stock.

An FZ6 with just an aftermarket muffler does not require a special engine controller. Moreover, there are fuel trims available (although hidden) in the ECU software.

From my experience on this forum, the aftermarket engine controller you have has the potential to cause normal operating probelms, and has even been the cause of catastrophic engine failure. It's worth your time and effort to remove it.
Ohh okay cool deal say no more fellows I’m pulling the power commander out!! Think it’s worth reselling ?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one on Gary's post.

Also, here is the PARTS LIST for your bike: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/fz6-fzs6w

*Using the parts list, you can find MANY/MOST answers to your questions...

IE
-Is the muffler stock? Look up exhaust, and see what SHOULD BE THERE..

-What is the electric thing sticking out the rt side cover, look it up. You'll see its the timing pick up sensor.

-You get the idea...