Fz6 sat for a year and a half, almost running

Pat Unit

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a 2005 fz6 with only 5000 miles on it, that's been sitting almost two years. I tuned it up a little bit before trying to run it, clean gas, sea foam, new spark plugs, new battery, clean filter, etc. The starter is cranking like a champ but I couldn't get the engine to turn over. I tried using starting fluid and got it to turn over! But only for a couple seconds, then it died again. So the engine is definitely not getting gas, but where do I start in my search to find out why? Do I try the fuel pump first or go straight to the injectors? I'll check the fuel lines just in case, but after that where do I look?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Considering that it all comes down to air, fuel and spark, it sounds like you figured out the failure. Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key? If yes then I would guess the injectors. Otherwise you need to look at the pump and fuel pressure.

You will get lots of good advice here. Just be methodical and work the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may also find this thread helpful in diagnosing tour fuel delivery. There is a fuel pump filter that is part of the pump. If the bike has been unused, especially in cold weather climate there may be rust in the tank and the filter may be fouled.

FUEL TANK, FUEL PUMP, AND FUEL GAUGE, REPAIRS AND TESTING!

Last edited:

Pat Unit

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks trepetti, and yes the fuel pump primes when I turn it on, I'm just wondering if the rust/gunk buildup was clogging the fuel pump

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip motogiro! What's the best way to access the fuel pump filter?
Look at the link I posted (post #3)

You'll need to remove the tank and pull the fuel pump. The forum has lots on how to do this. There's a lever with a float that may be a little tricky but read the great posts on the forum should get you through the process. [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION]0

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Last edited:

Pat Unit

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: I cleaned the injectors, fuel rail, and main fuel line and reinstalled. I was able to get it running on starting fluid again, but it doesn't want to start on it's own. I can also confirm that the problem isn't the fuel pump, because I had a bad o-ring on one of my injectors and it started spraying everywhere when I turned the bike on and the fuel pump primed. I'm out of ideas as to what the problem could be at his point.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does it keep running once started?

If not and it starts on starting fuel, then dies, the fuel system is broke, period.

Did you check the filter on the pump?

It may be partially clogged, enough to run, make noise, supply some fuel BUT not enough.

There is a fuel regulator, do a search. Finalimpact has numerous threads on it..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: I cleaned the injectors, fuel rail, and main fuel line and reinstalled. I was able to get it running on starting fluid again, but it doesn't want to start on it's own. I can also confirm that the problem isn't the fuel pump, because I had a bad o-ring on one of my injectors and it started spraying everywhere when I turned the bike on and the fuel pump primed. I'm out of ideas as to what the problem could be at his point.

I hope you've gotten rid of the old fuel and replenished with fresh?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It needs 36 PSI to run. Nearly every contaminated tank creates debris that keeps the pressure regulator off its seat. If it doesn't have the right pressure it will be hell to start and run lean.

Check the pressure!

Pat Unit

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the pump off and this is what the filter looks like. How do I clean it?IMG_0218.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat Unit

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I just discovered a bad gasket on my fill cap. The cap leaks when in the upright position. Could this be a cause?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, I just discovered a bad gasket on my fill cap. The cap leaks when in the upright position. Could this be a cause?
This would not prevent the bike from starting. But it will allow properties in the fuel to evaporate as well as absorb moisture from the air and direct intake on of water at the fill area. It could and probably is complicit in faster degradation and contamination of the fuel that was in the tank .

Sent from Moto's Motorola

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed ^^^....

Remove the filter and backflow solvent through it. I suggest MAF cleaner...
While the pump is out find a way to pressurize that pressure regulator and verify it holds 36 PSI.
At idle the injectors only open for couple milliseconds. If the pressure is say 25psi, the engine won't have enough fuel to start and run.

You can use air or water. For that matter you can submerge the pump in water to perform pressure test.

If the output of the pump does not supply 36psi and a lot of fluid is exiting the PR valve, you need to push the valve off it seat and get MAF cleaner in there to desolve the debris causing the leak.
Make sense?
A search for JJD952 FUEL PUMP or PRESSURE may find other threads on this topic. Let is us know if you have specific questions. The PR is held in by two tabs. Should pop right out. Use gas or saliva on the o-ring during install. Don't cut the o-ring.