FZ6 S2 2009 25,000 miles.. Strange noise..

GhostUK

Reaction score
Visit site
***FIXED*** FZ6 S2 2009 25,000 miles.. Strange noise..

Hi All..

Had my bike for amost two years now, Started hearing somthing last year,
It seems louder now, only hear it when im riding, mostly in lower gears, no noise when not in gear, tryed it in gear on the center stand.. no noise..
its like a moaning sound,,, no clicking, banging, sharp sounds.. Oils fine(changed around 4-5000 miles). plenty of water, brake fluid etc.. chain is in great con etc.. as iv said, only when im riding.. if i pull in the clutch the sound goes... bike rides great, no lose of power, clutch dose not slip, no strange smells.... im at a lose..

HELP..

:confused:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you said the drive chain is fine but I suspect its your culprit... Typical whining under load, won't do it when stopped either.

How old is the drive chain to your knowledge?

Does it have a pressed in mark in one of the links? (very visible punch mark on a link, which would be the master link for a replacement chain).

The stock chain is continuous and doesn't have a master link. MOST folks don't use the Yamaha chain as its a PIA removing the swing arm, etc to install it.

Again for most folks, a chain will be well worn out at 25,000 miles. Mine was toast at 12,000 miles as the previous owner lubed it ONCE in 4,500 miles, of it being new...

If it has the stock front Yamaha sprocket, that sprocket has a plastic(?) type material just under the teeth. If its worn, the teeth are worn from the chain rubbing into it, that sprocket (and chain) WILL MAKE your noises you describe (I did mine at 12,000 miles, exact same issue)

NOTE, I seriously doubt it the cam chain tensioner as it'll make noise at idle, warmed up and cold, niot just in higher gears.

If you want to snap and post some pictures of the the front sprocket and chain (rear sprocket too) it'd help...

Below pic is my replacement chain, rear sprocket..

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I know you said the drive chain is fine but I suspect its your culprit... Typical whining under load, won't do it when stopped either.

How old is the drive chain to your knowledge?

Does it have a pressed in mark in one of the links? (very visible punch mark on a link, which would be the master link for a replacement chain).

The stock chain is continuous and doesn't have a master link. MOST folks don't use the Yamaha chain as its a PIA removing the swing arm, etc to install it.

Again for most folks, a chain will be well worn out at 25,000 miles. Mine was toast at 12,000 miles as the previous owner lubed it ONCE in 4,500 miles, of it being new...

If it has the stock front Yamaha sprocket, that sprocket has a plastic(?) type material just under the teeth. If its worn, the teeth are worn from the chain rubbing into it, that sprocket (and chain) WILL MAKE your noises you describe (I did mine at 12,000 miles, exact same issue)

NOTE, I seriously doubt it the cam chain tensioner as it'll make noise at idle, warmed up and cold, niot just in higher gears.

If you want to snap and post some pictures of the the front sprocket and chain (rear sprocket too) it'd help...

Below pic is my replacement chain, rear sprocket..

This ^^ but i might add that i couldn't hear my cam chain was loose at idle only under load. neither could my mech, he thought i had lost the plot untill he held a steady 4k and you could hear / feel the vibes and rattle.

odd

GhostUK

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Just went for a quick test ride only a couple of miles as it started snowing :-( but so far NO noise :). Im back at work on friday so will give it a proper 100mile test ride then.

Just like to say thank you all for your ideas and comments etc ..