FZ6 questions

Factorymx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been saving up for a couple years for a new bike and this winter i will finally be purchasing a new bike. I am 20 and i have been racing motocross since i was young and i have always been around bikes. This will be My first street bike, but not my first time on one. i was riding my friends standard 2007 sv650 the other day and it felt comfortable and handled good but it felt too slow. has anyone rode both bikes or have any imput the fz6 seems like an ideal bike for me cause i will be doing alot of riding with it and i think an r6 would be uncomfortable. I also rode a 2005 gsxr 600 and i loved the power it felt just as quik as the 2002 cbr 954 i rode. I almost have my mind set on the fz6 i think im mostly just looking for some re-insurance that it has plenty of power, at least more the the sv650

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
just looking for some re-insurance that it has plenty of power, at least more the the sv650

My friend had an sv650 and I out ran him without leaving 3rd. His bike had way more low end torque but limited rpm's. The FZ6 is pretty well the opposite. We would do roll-on full throttle short runs in certain gears together to compare. He would get me everytime in 2nd or 3rd doing 10-30mph together until I wound up some R's. After that he would never catch me and he was limited to, I believe, about 9000rpms before hispower curve dropped. I could run all the way to almost 14,000 before the rev limitor kicked in.

Hope this helps:D

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the site!

from what i understand you are not a fan of V-Twin engines like the SV650,,not that the SV is slow but the power range you get from that bike is very different than the inline 4 cyclinder 600cc bikes....the sv650 is a nice and fast bike too but if you have ridden both the sv650 and the gsxr600 ,,by now you must know the different behaviours of the two different engine styles...one has lot more torque from the get go,,as the other one you have to wait until the bike hits the higher rpms and starts flying...

i could say that FZ6 is similar to the gsxr than the sv...for sure not a slow bike,,,,but then again i cant say that for the sv650 either...

most of the FZ6 riders buy this bike because you have the comfort of a touring bike with a race bike engine built on it...if you would like to be faster than be comfortable you can easily go for a r6 with almost paying the same amount of cash...
if you like to be comfortable and reasonably fast,than FZ6 is the bike...
hope it helps

Factorymx

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the replys its not that the sv was really slow it just felt like i was rding a trail bike maybe cause it has the same sound of one, and i have always been the type to ride out in the high rpms so having to shift before the bike is screaming isnt what im used to. when i rode the gsxr it was screaming at 14k and felt fast and shifted quik also almost like a pop and the sv didnt shift that well. i rode the sv for a good 30 min and felt perfect when i got off it was comfortable and it gave me a good feel of the road. i didnt get to ride the gsxr for more then 5 minutes so i cant say much for comfort but from what people say riding one for more then 45 min can get uncomfortable especially with a passanger.

RickFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a FZ6, my son runs a Kaw 650, and his friend a R6. I find the FZ6 the best around bike in this group as it does everytning well and to me is the most comfortable. On the track, the R6 is the prefered ride amoungst the 3 of us. The Kaw 650 is a parellel twin and it keeps up with the R6 on the road even at highly spirited rides. Go with what fits you, the FZ6 has plenty of power at 8K rpm on up and is very stable and comfortable on longer rides.

Factorymx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a FZ6, my son runs a Kaw 650, and his friend a R6. I find the FZ6 the best around bike in this group as it does everytning well and to me is the most comfortable. On the track, the R6 is the prefered ride amoungst the 3 of us. The Kaw 650 is a parellel twin and it keeps up with the R6 on the road even at highly spirited rides. Go with what fits you, the FZ6 has plenty of power at 8K rpm on up and is very stable and comfortable on longer rides.

how does the fz6 keep up with the r6?

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I liked my 2006 GSXR 600 but I liked the FZ6 enough to trade the GIXR in on a 2008 FZ6. Assuming we're talking stock bikes the GSXR will beat the FZ on acceleration and top end - but not by a whole lot. In the twisties I actually felt about the same level of confidence, but I'm not really one to push the limits. The brakes on both are AWESOME. On the downside, the GSXR ergo's are definitely race oriented. I'm 56 years old but have spent a lot of miles on a road bicycle so I could take the forward lean on the GSXR for a couple of hours, but not a full day of riding. With the FZ it's no problem to do 12 hour rides day after day. The GSXR will run about 115 to 130 miles before reserve, about 35-45 mpg depending on how hard you twist it. With the FZ I get about 200 miles to reserve and between 45 and 55 mpg - again, YMMV. Two things I do miss on the FZ 1; Hearing the exhaust note 2; Slipper clutch. #2 is just insurance since 99.9% of the time I don't ride hard enough to activate the slipper. #1 is fixable with aftermarket parts. Both bikes are excellent quality, you just have to decide what you want to do with it and choose accordingly.

Factorymx

Reaction score
Visit site
this may be a stupid question. i was looking at pics of fz6's and i noticed the fz6 s2 model is this a europe model. I think the s2 looks alot better then the one on yamaha's web site. how can you get the s2 in usa? or is there a kit you can buy to convert a bike?

Coskie

Reaction score
Visit site
You're right in that that is the European model.

As far as I know, you can't get it in the US without importing it. That would be mucho dinero, though. You can probably fab a US bike to look like its Euro counterpart but it won't be cheaper than importing.

RickFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
On a twisty road the FZ6 can stay with an R6. However the R6 supension and ergos dispense agressive corners like a knife. The FZ6 however is much better all round road bike IMO for ergos, tight turning radius. Engine wise both have plenty to work with.