Fz6 Noob Help

xxsnergyxx

Reaction score
Visit site
questions about a dropped 2008 fz6

Unfortunately I dropped my 2008 Fz6. I have a couple questions about possible problems with my bike.

Question 1: What are these two plastic hoses? And should they be there?PICTURE 3

Question 2: After dropping my bike the fairing got banged up. They look like they are out of place. Any hints for putting them back into place correctly?PICTURE 1 AND 2

Question 3: I have a leak that occurs when first starting up my bike. (Especially when it is cold). The leak is coming from where the exhaust meets the second piece of piping that it is attached too(sorry for lack of terminology). The leak does not smell like coolant,gas or oil. Could this possibly be vapor condensation that leaks when the bike is cold? Kind of like a car. (Please see picture attached. I have circled the dripping point as well as the where it is coming from.) PICTURE 4

Last edited:
You may have bent the fairing mounting assembly that is attached to the frame.
You would have to remove the plastics and straight it or get a new one.

The hoses are vents. They go to your fuel tank. One is and overflow hose.

So you have an exhaust leak....NBD

if the fairings being bent bothers you that much then just take them all off, even the headlights, and heat up the upper fairing stay with a torch (gently) and bend it back, again GENTLY.

the ultimate recommendation, dont drop it again... :D :squid:
but seriously, dropping happens, dont stress it, its just life as a biker.

oh and for future reference, listen to EVERYTHING Cliff and Scott have to say.
(Motogiroo and townsendfjr1300)

as a young guy I have learned to appreciate those that are older (been there done that kinda guys) and they wont lead you wrong.. :thumbup::thumbup:

there is no such thing as a dumb question
if YOU need the answer its not dumb, you are actually pretty smart coz you found the bestest forum on the interweb
WELCOME from Melbourne

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

to check the fairing stay. put the bike on centre stand and put the wheel straight ahead. look at the bike head on and if you see the fairing crooked, the fairing stay is bent. look at the mirror's tops if they are lopsided or straight. they are a sure give away if the fairing is straight or bent

What i would change are the two small fairing brackets where the fairing meets the tank. those are very flimsy and bend easily, so i would change those on both sides. Why both sides? because when the bike hit the ground the fairing has twisted for sure and may have torqued the other one out of shape as well. this has happened to me and it took me a long time to figure out why. they don t cost a lot of money. these are attached to the frame just underneath the fuel tank.

those pipes are vent holes/overflow as cliff said. they are meant to be there so do not touch them.

don t stress ;) the fz is a tough bike and drops are part of the learning curve

to check the fairing stay. put the bike on centre stand and put the wheel straight ahead. look at the bike head on and if you see the fairing crooked, the fairing stay is bent. look at the mirror's tops if they are lopsided or straight. they are a sure give away if the fairing is straight or bent

What i would change are the two small fairing brackets where the fairing meets the tank. those are very flimsy and bend easily, so i would change those on both sides. Why both sides? because when the bike hit the ground the fairing has twisted for sure and may have torqued the other one out of shape as well. this has happened to me and it took me a long time to figure out why. they don t cost a lot of money. these are attached to the frame just underneath the fuel tank.

those pipes are vent holes/overflow as cliff said. they are meant to be there so do not touch them.

don t stress ;) the fz is a tough bike and drops are part of the learning curve

Just to add to the above, besides sitting on the bike on the centerstand and looking forward, IF the enterstay is bent, it will be pretty obvious (even a 1/2-3/4") the fairing will appear crooked.

That fairling stay is fairly stout (at least when trying to straighten it). I've replaced mine when the PO bent it (off about 3/4"), ridable but bothered me looking at a crooked front end while riding.

There are (as mentioned above), two thin black steel brackets that secure the rear of the front fairing to the frame. They can be loosened and bent some (gently) which may solve your problem.

If the main stay is bent, IMHO, (and if it bothers you), just replace it, its a bi..ch to try and straighten it. You have to remember if you bend part of it, another part may not bend and need to. Its securing a plastic (I guess) fairing and if not dead on, will stress the attachment plastic points..

Theres also FOUR large head phillips head screws that secure the headlight assembly to the fairing. These 4 screws go into the headlight lens assembly which have 4 raised plastic tabs. These tabs break off very easily (I have one missing on mine now from the previous tip over) so be aware of that...

Good luck and keep it upright!!!:thumbup:

Last edited:
I can answer question 2 for you. Those are not crack. It's the connection of the fairings, just try to clip them together. Mine still looks like it's cracked from the factory. I think it's because it's Jap's bike lol. By the way, welcome to the forum.
I can't wait to get back on my lovely FZ6. Winter sucks lol

I can answer question 2 for you. Those are not crack. It's the connection of the fairings, just try to clip them together. Mine still looks like it's cracked from the factory. I think it's because it's Jap's bike lol. By the way, welcome to the forum.
I can't wait to get back on my lovely FZ6. Winter sucks lol

My right side has a small gap there (maybe 1/4 of his), and everything up front is new(stay, fairing, inner fairings, etc. Tried adjusting, re-adjusting, etc. It should be tighter but my little bit of space, at this point, gives it character!!!:thumbup:

My right side has a small gap there (maybe 1/4 of his), and everything up front is new(stay, fairing, inner fairings, etc. Tried adjusting, re-adjusting, etc. It should be tighter but my little bit of space, at this point, gives it character!!!:thumbup:
Just like the handbuilt Ferrari 250 GTO the panels were often varying lengths making the gaps between bodywork "Art".

Nelly

Back