Fz6 naked streetfighter headlight mod help

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys n girls, Im having some problems when it comes to modifying my headlight from stock to a projector with angel eye. I will include photos but elecrics isnt my strongest point, but i know a little.
Basically i brought a projector and it has two small wires (red and black) and two thicker wires (also red and black)(1.3mm 16awg)....these are the two wires worrying me as they are thicker than the wiring on my bike loom.
The two small wires are the same width as the wire on my bike, i hooked the angel eye up to my side light and it worked fine..i also tried to hook up my main headlight, but its was two wires to three...this meant that when i turned my bike on i only had side light but when i flicked my main beam it come on BUT GOT HOT VERY QUICKLY so i turned it off? any ideas on what to do?? or how to do it?
Thanks for Yar'll help! =D
Dan
(also included picture of bike to show you what bike it is, naked s2 version)

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
i did thanks but i believe its different for my bike as i only have the one light powering both the H4 and H7, as i have the naked version not fairing??

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The plug with the black wire with yellow tracer is probably from the faired US version of the FZ6 where they don't have a Hi/Low beam. You don't need this wire.

Looks like you have HID single mode (No Hi/Lo beam) Projector assembly.

Black wire with yellow dots is your headlight ground.
Yellow wire with black dot is high beam.
Green wire is low beam.

Tie the low (green wire) and hi beam (Yellow w/ black dots) wires together and connect to the head lamp positive.

Tie the black wire with yellow dots to the headlamp negative.

The reason I say to tie the hi and lo beam wires together is that if someone hits the high beam you'll always have supply voltage the lamp assembly.

Your single lamp dual filament design switches off the low beam when the high beam switch is activated so your new lamp would go out if you wired it to just one of the wires.

This doesn't guarantee you won't get hot strike start up current when you hit the hi beam switch so don't use the high beam switch.

Hope this helps..:D

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Any extra information on the projector you bought?
Is it a halogen projector, or is it a HID projector??

Why don't you just retrofit a HID projector in your FZ6N headlight?? It looks badass and really is the way to go :BLAA:

Grtz,

Degake

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
ill definatly try this, but will i have the same prob;lem with the heat?? when i plugged the positive head lamp into one of the other colours wires i got a high beam but the heat that i got from it was quite hot...would you think this is a problem?? is there too much power going through to the lamp??? because the wires on the head lamp at 1.3mm heavy duty (supposibly 16AWG)..
any ideas?

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
The plug with the black wire with yellow tracer is probably from the faired US version of the FZ6 where they don't have a Hi/Low beam. You don't need this wire.

I can't remember I had a loose connector in my headlight...
Should this be a S2 version only issue?

danieljfield, are you sure all your connectors are connected?? (Including the indicator light connection?

Looks like you have HID single mode (No Hi/Lo beam) Projector assembly.

Black wire with yellow dots is your headlight ground.
Yellow wire with black dot is high beam.
Green wire is low beam.

Tie the low (green wire) and hi beam (Yellow w/ black dots) wires together and connect to the head lamp positive.

Tie the black wire with yellow dots to the headlamp negative.

The reason I say to tie the hi and lo beam wires together is that if someone hits the high beam you'll always have supply voltage the lamp assembly.

Your single lamp dual filament design switches off the low beam when the high beam switch is activated so your new lamp would go out if you wired it to just one of the wires.

This doesn't guarantee you won't get hot strike start up current when you hit the hi beam switch so don't use the high beam switch.

Hope this helps..:D

If Cliff says so... :BLAA:

Grtz,

Degake

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
ill definatly try this, but will i have the same prob;lem with the heat?? when i plugged the positive head lamp into one of the other colours wires i got a high beam but the heat that i got from it was quite hot...would you think this is a problem?? is there too much power going through to the lamp??? because the wires on the head lamp at 1.3mm heavy duty (supposibly 16AWG)..
any ideas?

In order to help you with the heating issue, it would help a lot if we had some extra information about the projector you bought....
Where did you buy it from?

Grtz,

Degake

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
Any extra information on the projector you bought?
Is it a halogen projector, or is it a HID projector??

Why don't you just retrofit a HID projector in your FZ6N headlight?? It looks badass and really is the way to go :BLAA:

Grtz,

Degake

yeah yours does look good in the picture but i had my mind set on getting rid of it and replacing it with two projecvtor lights. Its not a HID light that i have its a halogen light.

danieljfield

Reaction score
Visit site
In order to help you with the heating issue, it would help a lot if we had some extra information about the projector you bought....
Where did you buy it from?

Grtz,

Degake

it was an ebay job, said it was for motorbikes, trikes, and cars. theres a wiring diagram on the back of the box but its usless as usual. it does say connect to a 12v 30amp relay, but would i already have one of these on my bike, on the stock wiring???
i have work now but will definatly check back when i get a couple of mins tonight.
thanks for all the help guys

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah yours does look good in the picture but i had my mind set on getting rid of it and replacing it with two projecvtor lights. Its not a HID light that i have its a halogen light.

Any link to it?
Why don't you replace the OEM headlight with a dual HID projector unit?
That would give AWESOME light!! :ban:

Grtz,

Degake

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

You can still wire it the way I described in post #6. If you have a single filament halogen you can wire it with both hi and lo beam wire feeding the unit so that it stays on during either mode.

Degake's set up is killer!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
it was an ebay job, said it was for motorbikes, trikes, and cars. theres a wiring diagram on the back of the box but its usless as usual. it does say connect to a 12v 30amp relay, but would i already have one of these on my bike, on the stock wiring???
i have work now but will definatly check back when i get a couple of mins tonight.
thanks for all the help guys

Wait a minute! How much current does that thing draw!? Maybe the 30 amp relay is just the contact rating and no where near the wattage draw of the lamp...