FZ6 making graunchy noise

jamez79

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I've noticed my 2005 FZ6 naked has started to make a graunchy noise.

I've tried to narrow it down a bit and this is what i've got so far....

Its nothing to do with steering (bearings etc). It occurs in straight lines and turning. It stops when stationary and when decelerating which makes me think it could be the chain?

The bike has covered 16k miles and it appears to be on the original chain as there is no split link/soft rivet.

When i apply just enough throttle for the engine to just pull without increasing speed it makes the noise. I've checked oil and fluids and all are fine. Brakes are ok and not binding etc.

How do i check my chain to see if it needs swapping? The sprockets look okay, they're not badly worn or anything and the chain is adjusted to within tolerances in Haynes manual.

Any ideas??? (other than turn my music up!) :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help given.

James

S

Shamus McFeeley

A worn chain can be identified by damaged/missing rollers o-rings and plates and looks something like this:

WornChain.jpg

Some other things to consider:

Does the noise go away with the clutch pulled in?
Does it increase/decrease at certain speeds/rpm?

Some noises that are engine load dependent like this can be found in the drivetrain area, chain/clutch/transmission. You might want to check that your chain is aligned properly as well.

jamez79

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I mainly notice it as i pull away from a stand still. When the engine is just pulling and not coasting. It does go if i pull the clutch in. It makes no difference what gear i'm in and i can feel a slight vibration through the footpegs.

I'll go and check my chain again. I keep it adjusted but didn't know how to tell if its worn passed its best. One site suggests pulling the chain away from the sprocket at the furthest point at the rear of the bike and if it exposes any of the sprocket it needs changing?

On that note, is it better to go for a branded chain and sprockets or original yamaha replacement?

Thanks again

James

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It does sound like your chain is about worn out. Do you keep up maintainance on the chain(clean lube?). If the sprockets look really good, you may get by with just replacing the chain.

If you end up replacing parts, get the best chain you can afford, I personally like the stock Yamaha sprockets but at least stick to steel sprockets, they'll last longer.

Also, personally, I'd keep away from chain wax. I tried it for awhile (on another bike), my chain actually started rusting while using it. Other will disagree, but that was my experiance.

Last edited:

jamez79

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I cleaned my chain thouroughly yesterday and lubed it using silkolene spray on chain lube. I double checked the chain tension and removed the front sprocket cover to inspect that sprocket. All seems fine. I tried the tip about trying to pull the chain off the rear sprocket at the furthermost rear point and it does come away slightly, even when the lowest part of the chain is being pushed up by my fingers to take up any slack. I reckon it's probably due a change. I'm guessing its the original chain (and i presume sprockets) as there is no soft link etc.

The chain is by DID. Can anyone tell me if Yamaha would've used a DID chain on the production line or could this mean the chain has been swapped at some point? The bikes done about 16k miles so if it is the original, i suppose i won't hurt to change it now.

Thanks

James

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 with the original chain says DID on the side plates.

I know its original as I bought it from the original owner and did all the maintainance on it from day 1. With 6k miles on the clock, the chain is taught on the rear of the sprocket (does not pull out-adjusted correctly as well).

My KLR 250 with a slightly smaller chain, 10k miles on a replacement chain, has a slight amount of pull from the sprocket (.015" maybe). I got approx 15k miles on the stock chain (no off road-chain maintained/lubed) before it started moaning and making noise, you could feel it too. Thats with a lot less HP than the FZ too.

Last edited:

jamez79

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, Sounds like i need a new chain then.

Thanks for all the help.

Really appreciated.

Regards

James

fayout

Reaction score
Visit site
I have same problem with my -04 Naked with 33000km. I think that I have original chain.
I hope that the noise is coming from chain. It feels that the noise is not that bad when driving freshly lubed chain.
Also I find that the noise is worst at morning when driving in cold weather with cold chain :)

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm having the same problem, and was about to post something until I saw the word "graunchy", and of all the words I've scanned in my head to describe the noise my bike is making, graunchy is the best.
It's sort of like a glugging, sluggish click of a sound, a creaking door type of noise? Is this what yours is doing too?
At first I thought this was something in the engine but all this talk of chain makes a little more sense to me.

fatboy71

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine FZ6N S2 also makes the same sound. And only when I'm pulling at about 4K RPM, or at about 6.5K. My bike has about 3000 miles.

Dealership said it's the 3rd party engine guards I've got at the sides of my bike. I'm not at all very familiar with bikes except ridin' them, so I'm gonna get the removed to see if it does resolve the issue.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine FZ6N S2 also makes the same sound. And only when I'm pulling at about 4K RPM, or at about 6.5K. My bike has about 3000 miles.

Dealership said it's the 3rd party engine guards I've got at the sides of my bike. I'm not at all very familiar with bikes except ridin' them, so I'm gonna get the removed to see if it does resolve the issue.

I suspect your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about... I'd like to know your outcome....

fatboy71

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, just to share the outcome:

It was fixed accidentally.... I was installing the Ermax belly pan and told the mechanic to remove the 3rd party engine guards... GUESS WAT? No more graunchy noise :BLAA: I didn't ask him later, but guess dealership was right.