fz6 knocking sound

danut_marin2006

Reaction score
Visit site
hy guys,

i am new around here and please pardon my english
I have a yamaha fz6 2005,oil changed yamalube 15w50,k&n air filter,27600km,
I have a problem whith the engine when hot.When i accelerate all wel but when when I enter in the engine brake the bike has a kloking sound coming from the engine.I cant hear the sound when the bike idle.The sound apear only when the bike is hot.What is the problem?

I want to check the CCT.Can i do it whitout putting the bike on TDC???.Can i just pull it out whith the bike in neutral??

Thanks

Update:the sound seems to came from the exhaust system,i can hear it beter in the back of the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: fz6 knoking sound

If you only hear it while you're riding and not while it's just idling make sure it's not your drive chain that needs some love first

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

You can pull the CCT while NOT at TDC, just make sure you don't bump the engine over whatsoever.

The tensioner, as you loosen the two retaining bolts, should push away from the block/and cam chain. The farther, the better. If it barly moves away, your chain/guides are likely worn and need replacement(tensioner is fully extended and the chain is likely flopping against the case)..

The tensioner should have a nice smooth, steady movement.

If you can post an audio/video of the noise from about where the noise is eminating would help...

The below pic is that of my old (2005) KLR 250 AFTER I replaced the cam chain was installed (and the tensioner fully extended). Before, the tensioner was maybe 1/8" away from the block. Nice and quiet after that new chain was installed (28,000 miles at the time) and probably 3x longer than the FZ.

Last edited:

danut_marin2006

Reaction score
Visit site

the sound came from de gear box,the mecanic says that is one of the bearing and the bike must be disassembled to identify the problem
question: to split the gearbox i must disassembled the entire engine, cylinder head, crankshaft??

thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

the sound came from de gear box,the mecanic says that is one of the bearing and the bike must be disassembled to identify the problem
question: to split the gearbox i must disassembled the entire engine, cylinder head, crankshaft??

thanks

One member just pulled his gear box apart / out WITHOUT pulling the head/cam's/crank, rods's, etc. The engine does need to come out and flipped upside down, see below link..

IMHO, you can get to some of the bearings after just pulling the clutch side/clutch, etc. You may peek in there first before pulling the engine.

Here ya go:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/48071-broken-my-gears.html

Last edited:

Goodmango

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey did it sound like this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPlk4xooygY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPlk4xooygY[/ame]

If so I may just go ahead and change the water pump chain and oil pump chain.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a rattling noise at 2900 rpm when hot, probably oil/water pump chain is the issue for me. But I don't know how to change that, I think engine needs to full disassemble for that... maybe not...

Goodmango

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya when I saw this post I thought I had found my solution. My mechanic keeps saying mine isn't a chain sound though... bahhh I don't know what's going on.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well lubed chains are pretty hard to beat. They don't make noise per say. Chains are pretty happy with allot slack and unlike the cam chain, this one has a constant load and all it has to do is stay on board and not jump the tracks.

IMO - yours still sounds like something went through the primary gears. Not as loud as the others, but certainly there. In addition, there is where the noise is coming from.

In that Gargoyl thread - there are several ways to confirm what is causing the noise and if this trip is gonna have you on the edge with worry, its gonna ruin the fun or take a swift whack at it. Lay up and go some other time if it worries you too much....