FZ6 In-town torque

dsmith41

Reaction score
Visit site
As I have posted before, I am looking to get either an FZ6 or a Ninja 650R. I am concerned about how practical the FZ6 engine may be in town. I know it is an R6 engine that has been tuned to give more power at lower RPMs but did they succeed in that? I know the twin of the 650R will have plenty of torque but I am afraid if I get the FZ6, I will be disappointed because it will not have any balls in town without really winding it up any annoying everyone on the streets.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I know what you're getting at, but it's really a non-issue. There's plenty of git up in the low end on the fz. Granted, it's not a V-2or4 so it's not a uber torque monster (I came to the Fz from a VFR) but there's still enough there to get you into trouble...

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Even keeping it below 7k you can still get very illegal very fast.
its not pull your eyeballs back into your head off every red light, but its still enough to get in front of all the traffic

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
While a V-twin has a bit more pull at low speeds, the difference is very minor. I find that the FZ6 has PLENTY of 'umph' for rides around town - and soooo much more left for rides through the twisties and on the interstate too. Every bike is a compromise and I love the FZ6 just the way it is.

I've actually gone UP a tooth on the front sprocket, which takes even more away from the low-end, and I find it's still plenty.

I wouldn't worry about it. The FZ6 is such a great bike that people have had to find SOMETHING to complain about. Concerns over low-end pull are totally overblown IMO.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
What's wrong with winding it up on the street? Not only do you get away from traffic but traffic tries to get away from you!

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure where the low-TQ reputation comes from, maybe by comparing dyno curves on paper of different bikes, or from the earlier FZ6. It is important to note that the gearing can be different between bikes, which can more than make up for TQ variances which are only a few ft-lbs.

I ride a 2008 (after spending 10 years on a FZR600) and find there is plenty of TQ, linear throttle response, and very smooth low rpm operation. You can putt this bike along at 2-3krpm just fine in slow city traffic in 2nd/3rd gear, and if you keep the revs around 4krpm there is plenty of punch available to stay ahead of traffic without sounding like a racer. Of course the bike really comes alive at higher rpms which is nice for pulling onto the highway or playing in the curves...just really smooth power. I can only assume the revisons in 2007 to the FI system have improved things, because most of the online reviews for the bike are from the first years of production...and there were complaints about jumpy throttle and lack of TQ.

I am having a blast with the bike and I'm sure you will too :thumbup:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 senses? Plenty of torque in at just about any rpm's. If you keep the exhaust stock you won't annoy people unless your riding about 7,000rpm's. And I have ridden the 07 ninja 650r for 6 months before buying my fz6 and the FZ hails in comparison.

To each his own, but I wouldn't go back to Kawasaki. Plus the ninja's sound like i took a crap in a blender and put it on chop.

Robmac

Reaction score
Visit site
I do a lot of driving in town and rowing through the gears keeping it below 5k rpms still puts me in front of 95% of traffic.

frt96

Reaction score
Visit site
Not enough torque for me.!! I need to raise my front tire at every stoplight.

Seriously though, this bike is a great commuter. I drive 90 miles each way and the bike is wonderful in both urban, and freeway duties. OH, it also smashes in the twisties!!!!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't get out much when it comes to riding similar bikes to the FZ6, but I have no idea what the motorcycling press is talking about when they constantly harp on about the "no low-end torque" of the FZ6.
I have a theory about that....I think the press guys are all racer wannabees and have bought into the notion that a "road bike" needs to be capable of proceeding through town like a Velocette LE. In other words, being comfy riding at 30 mph in top gear with a top speed of 60 mph....or variations thereof.
So, they conclude that an FZ6 is "impractical" because it has a dark, edgy, sporty side that is safer on a track in the hands of a "racer".
I call BS on that. I can zip away from the lights just as quickly as the sportbike crowd and the big thumper cruiser crowd....and that's Waaaaay faster than anything 99% of cagers can manage. I can also ride along quite happily in 6th gear at 60kph if I feel lazy.
Not an issue. If your brain still tells you that it is an issue, install a 15t front sprocket. That'll erase any lingering doubts that you have regarding the FZ6's in-town competence. :thumbup::rockon:

JD6

Reaction score
Visit site
Great all around bike my friend!!! Balls to spare, and to boot you won't be riding the same bikes that everyone, and their cousins sport. If your looking for something born in a NASA lab then this bike isn't for you. If your looking for a great all around bike than disappointment you will not find here. In the end you need to ride the bike that is you.

dsmith41

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the dealer today and the guy tried to sell me an FZ1. Looked like an awesome bike but I don't know if it would be worth the extra cost. As for torque though, I'm betting it would be noticeably better. Honestly though, I believe you guys when you say the FZ6 has power to spare in town.