FZ6 Headlights

bobvilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased a 2008 FZ6 a couple of weeks ago(first bike). Last night was the first evening that i had the bike out and noticed that only the left light would burn on low beam and when turning the high beams on the right light would come on. I took took the right bulb out to inspect it and noticed it was a three prong bulb. The bulb looked good, so i thought that i would just switch the right and left bulbs to test the right one. When i went to take the left bulb out it was a two prong bulb. My question is, are the two bulbs supposed to be different? If they are is the head lights supposed to work like, high beam is the right bulb only or should both bulbs be low beam and high beam?

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
The two bulbs are different, one is an H4 and the other is H7. It is made to only have the left beam on for low beams. You can search for the BD43 mod to wire both to be on for low.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
it's worth noting that if you have both on then cars may mistake you for another car that is much further away... (just a consideration before you mod them)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it's worth noting that if you have both on then cars may mistake you for another car that is much further away... (just a consideration before you mod them)

There are plenty of bikes out there with dual headlights both of which stay on the whole time. I don't think this is anything to worry about.

cmor15

Reaction score
Visit site
I leave both of mine on all the time for visibility unless im directly behind a car and blinding them. If a car looks like its getting ready to turn out and might not see me i flick the brights off and on a couple of times so they know im there.

The other day a car was pulling out in front of me and obviously didnt see me, so i did this and flashed my lights at him and he stopped in the middle of the other lane before pulling out infront of me.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me parrot what other's have said - the BD43 dual headlight mod is a must do modification. He provides a professional quality, plug and play harness with instructions. Do it!

The H4 bulb is on the right side and is Low/High the H7 on the right is low beam only. You cannot switch the 2 bulbs, they will not fit (I tried)

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Last night I tried to start my FZ6 and it would not start. I don't know what could have gone wrong with a 2 weeks old 2009. I didn't leave the key in the ignition or anything like that. So I started googling and found that the possible culprit might be the highbeam!

Taking advices of some FZ6 member, I've been running high beam on all the time for visibility. I guess this drains the battery? I've read somewhere here that the FZ6 won't charge below 5K RPM. Personally I think this is B.S. But I think it's possible that the highbeam does drain more juice than the battery is able to charge, so it's slowly losing juice each time.

Anyway, I bump started the bike today and rode it around for 10 miles or so (without high beam on). The bike starts fine for now. I want to know for sure if the high beam is the cause. Anybody want to comment? Also, my battery is not damaged now is it?

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Last night I tried to start my FZ6 and it would not start. I don't know what could have gone wrong with a 2 weeks old 2009. I didn't leave the key in the ignition or anything like that. So I started googling and found that the possible culprit might be the highbeam!

Taking advices of some FZ6 member, I've been running high beam on all the time for visibility. I guess this drains the battery? I've read somewhere here that the FZ6 won't charge below 5K RPM. Personally I think this is B.S. But I think it's possible that the highbeam does drain more juice than the battery is able to charge, so it's slowly losing juice each time.

Anyway, I bump started the bike today and rode it around for 10 miles or so (without high beam on). The bike starts fine for now. I want to know for sure if the high beam is the cause. Anybody want to comment? Also, my battery is not damaged now is it?

First of all, get a battery tender. It will save you lots of trouble and money. Second, our bikes are not heaping with alot of excess power as far as the electrical system is concerned. The stator only charges when the RPMs are around 5,000. So if you're doing a lot of riding below that and you have the high beam on as well, the battery is not getting charged.

The battery tender will allow you to recharge the battery while it's parked and it has connectors that you can leave on and just plug it in to charge. This will keep your battery in top shape for a long time.

Yes, 5,000 RPM seems to be the magic number. No, your battery should be ok as long as it didn't drain too much and damage the cells. Otherwise, a good charge should do the trick.

I have a battery tender jr. works like a charm. I've been gone for a week. I got back today plugged it in (just to be sure) and within an hour, the light on the charger was green (good to go). I have the cord running from my battery so I don't have to lift the tank each time I want to charge it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have had my FZ6 for over a year now (2 Summers) (picked it up used, but it had OE battery). I've never used battery tender on this bike (and never used it on previous bikes I'd owned). Have not had a battery issue once and my bike sits 2-3 weeks without being started, in the winter.
I have BD43 dual headlight mod as well (I've since converted to streetfighter, but low beam settings is the same as stock + BD43.. 2 bulbs running at 55W).
I always run low beams and only use high beams when necessary, just like I do in a car. There are pros and cons to running high beams during the day and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I believe that low beam is the way to go.
As for FZ6 charging only above 5k (with LOW beams on and without accessories), that's BS. This bike would be worthless in city riding / traffic, wouldn't it? Hook up a voltmeter to the battery, read the output and then start the bike and I it'll read higher than with the bike off. I'm no electrician and this is just my theory, based on personal experience.
Now.. if you run high beams all the time AND add other accessories, that might be another story (I've never done this).

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As stated above, the FZ has a max charge of 14 volts at 5,000RPM.

It still is charging under that, just not as much. At idle, your probably at a loss(draining your battery) with the second light turned on.

You can put a voltmeter across the terminals and see what the voltage is when turning on the lights/accessories, etc. If its right at 12 volts, your running off the battery. Rev the engine up some taking note of the voltage. If your above that, the charging system is charging, just not at full capacity until 5,000 RPM's.

I plugged in a heated vest and heated gloves (Widder) in the BMW outlet I have installed on the left side of the bike. As long as your above a certain RPM, I can run the vest/gloves while still CHARGING THE BATTERY (above 12 volts). If stopped at a red light, I turn off the vest/gloves. As a side note, I can do the same with my KLR 250 which has an even smaller battery (kick start).

I've had the BD43 installed for probably a year and a half and run high and low beams on during the day ALL THE TIME. I haven't had a problem with the charging system/battery however it does sit on a BMW automatic charger when not in use and doesn't get ridden in stop and go traffic everyday. I keep my idle set at 1,000, yes, it's below the recomended 1250-1350 RPM.

If your in stop and go traffic everyday and at low RPM's, I'd probably turn off the high beam and make sure the idle is at the specified 1250-1350 RPM for charging purposes.

BTW, I bought my bike from from the original owner (my friend) who had the OEM battery fail two days after taking delivery. The shop replaced it under warranty, been fine ever since. You may want to get that battery load tested as it could be bad(dealers turn the bikes on and off on the showroom floor, start it for a minute), which kill the battery. This scenerio is very likely for your bike....

Scott