FZ6 Has a titanium Alloy fuel tank!!!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, here's something i never knew...apparently, according to Australian Magazine, Australian Road Rider, the FZ6 has a Titanium Alloy fuel tank...which is of course, to save weight, but more inportantly, is not very common, and is quite exotic as far as bikes go..

So next time those Latte sipping Ducati riders are sprouting off about their Ohlins Suspension, Marchesini Wheels, etc...tell em...."Bet you dont have a Titanium Alloy Fuel tank like my bike......"

Yes folks...i am bored!

:rockon:

Last edited:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Titanium "alloy" means it is mixed with other metals. It doesn't mean it's NOT magnetic. I couldn't find any info on the tank, but maybe wolfman can explain where he found the info on the tank's composition.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That would explain why Yamaha wants $600 for a fuel tank.:rolleyes:

try $1350 in Australia!

Titanium "alloy" means it is mixed with other metals. It doesn't mean it's NOT magnetic. I couldn't find any info on the tank, but maybe wolfman can explain where he found the info on the tank's composition.

As i said in my first post....Australian Road Rider magazine was the source....just found it interesting...

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't believe that anything is titanium, even small pieces, let alone huge one like tank. Titanium is VERY expensive.

Well...they did say Alloy.....so am guessing that would bring the price down...as well as the fact, Yamaha would be making them en-masse......and if you have ever picked up an empty FZ6 tank...they are noticeably very light.

I suppose i need to send an e-mail to Yamaha now, and ask the question....

:thumbup:

W

wrightme43

The only mention of titanium alloy and fuel tanks that shows up with google is a first hit of HERE and then the space industry. I think the magazine was wrong.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last I checked, no variation of titanium alloy can rust...like my tank is doing around the hinge. :D

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah the guys at the panel shop used a steel stud gun to pull the dents out and it is also magnetic.
altho it did not rust for the 4 months it had bare metal showing from the crease. maybe its just coated in it. road contact might give different results.

W

wrightme43

Maybe you crazy aussie folks have to have titanium to keep the wildlife from eating the bikes?? LOL LOL LOL