Fz6 Exhaust

ldbiker99

Ride hard or go home
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried putting a stock R1 exhaust on an FZ6?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aaKOfczaEU"]YouTube - FZ6 pots de R1 titane[/ame]

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great in the vid, sounds a bit better, but still a bit like a sewing machine on speed!

Good Aftermarket Cans would be better in my mind......TB's...now they have personality +!

:rockon:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That guy must have had them givin to him .I cant see any other reason for goin through the trouble too put them on his bike.#1 they look like CRAP!#2 they could not make a signifigant increase in power.(probably would cause power loss)seeing how Mr.Yamaha designed them for the R1.:spank:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
That guy must have had them givin to him .I cant see any other reason for goin through the trouble too put them on his bike.#1 they look like CRAP!#2 they could not make a signifigant increase in power.(probably would cause power loss)seeing how Mr.Yamaha designed them for the R1.:spank:

Can't be any worse than the stock FZ6 muffler

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on that...the standard FZ6 muffler is like a Car Muffler......hideously heavy, hideously restrictive, and about as Aurally pleasing as a sewing machine!!!!!

:eek:
the fz6 engine in stock form is tuned for lower to mid rpm tourqe.its stock muffler is restrictive to cause back pressure so the engine can produce that roll on power increase without having to drop 4 gears at 60mph to make a quick traffic pass.the R1 muffler is designed for its engine, that is tuned for high rpm tourqe.even with a power comander you still lose the low end tourqe when you put on a less restrictive muffler. (NOW DONT GET ME WRONG)i love a highly modified race ready bike.what i like best about my fz6 is its a great bike for zippin around town,and a daily commute to work,without the constant buzz of a loud exhaust note. (maybe im gettin to old cause i just dont like it loud anymore). LOL :D

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
the fz6 engine in stock form is tuned for lower to mid rpm tourqe.its stock muffler is restrictive to cause back pressure so the engine can produce that roll on power increase without having to drop 4 gears at 60mph to make a quick traffic pass.the R1 muffler is designed for its engine, that is tuned for high rpm tourqe.even with a power comander you still lose the low end tourqe when you put on a less restrictive muffler. (NOW DONT GET ME WRONG)i love a highly modified race ready bike.what i like best about my fz6 is its a great bike for zippin around town,and a daily commute to work,without the constant buzz of a loud exhaust note. (maybe im gettin to old cause i just dont like it loud anymore). LOL :D

I'm with you on that one :thumbup:

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually thought of doing this, and found that you can get the R1 exhausts pretty cheap on Ebay. But after studying the parts and mounting points from the pictures of a disassembled R1 system, I figured it was going to be allot more work in modification and fabrication and $'s that I would be better off buying a set or Scorpions or 2 Bros, etc.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm.. Back pressure does not equal torque. What you want is a high velocity exhaust flow. This creates a vacuum that sucks exhaust particles out from the cylinder, again contributing to better flowing exhaust. To achieve this you ideally want a smaller diameter pipe at low rpms cause there is less exhaust, but when the rpms rise you want a larger diameter to handle the increased exhaust amounts. Therefore the diameter of the pipe is a compromise to try and achieve the best exhaust flow in the entire rpm range. Since the amount of exhaust varies, and because of bends in the pipes etc, you will get turbulence which creates back pressure and restricts exhaust flow = bad.

I'm not that good at explaining this kind of stuff, but check out this link:
Less back pressure = less Torque? Why? - Automotive Message Forums

You can also try googling "back pressure and torque" and you'll find a lot of helpful articles.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't be any worse than the stock FZ6 muffler

You mean the Black and Decker Toaster Oven???

I saw a bone stock FZ6 at the dealer last night and I forgot how fugly that muffler is. I have no idea what Mr. Yamaha was thinking on that one.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
They look like they stick out to far, kinda fugly. May look better in person.
TB's CF rock!

This is true but from what I've heard, the R1 exhaust mod costs a about $250 depending on how much you get the pipes for (ebay... it fluctuates)

While the TB's do in fact rock, you could do this mod on 3 different bikes for what it would cost for the TB's CF pipes.... and thats the discount price through the forum, not retail.