FZ6 cylinder possibly misfiring

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.

My FZ has been good to me until now. I have not done any changes with the bike at all. My synthetic oil change isn't due til 2k miles. And I pump 91 from a good gas station(Mobil).

When I fire the bike up, the rpms sometimes jump around and I do smell something which is possibly raw fuel. From every launch now, I have to give it a bit more throttle and slowly release the clutch to not stall. The engine sputters and doesn't have the normal power to accelerate. This sometimes clears up in higher rpms. When at speed, I roll on the throttle and the bike starts sputtering and doesn't go anywhere.

I took my bike to my local shop and after a quick ride, one of the owners came to the conclusion that the number 4 cylinder is not firing and/or misfiring. What exactly this is due to I have no idea.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you pulled the plug to examine it? It could be misfiring for a number of reasons. I'm semi open this week if you want to bring it over. Mon-Thurs. You have my mobile number.....

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you pulled the plug to examine it? It could be misfiring for a number of reasons. I'm semi open this week if you want to bring it over. Mon-Thurs. You have my mobile number.....
I pulled the wire off the #4 plug. Wire looked okay and there was a bit of build up(possibly carbon) around the plug.

I haven't got the tools to get to the plug. So I'll take you up on your offer of giving it a check.

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
It turned out that the #4 coil pack wire wasn't connected properly to it's spark plug. The bike now runs on all four cylinders.

But now I have the underlying problem of the engine hesitating to accelerate when I get on the throttle quickly. I was told to try some Seafoam. Has anyone got experience using this on the FZ6 or other bikes?

How much Seafoam and how much gas should I have in the tank? Any advice on using this is much appreciated. :thumbup:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The instructions for how much seafoam to use per gallon for maintenance and for cleaning are on the bottle, I can check when I get home. A lot of people swear by it here and use it regularly, myself included.

I would also recommend disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnect. Any time I have some electrical issue that always seems to help the ECU right itself.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The instructions for how much seafoam to use per gallon for maintenance and for cleaning are on the bottle, I can check when I get home. A lot of people swear by it here and use it regularly, myself included.

I would also recommend disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnect. Any time I have some electrical issue that always seems to help the ECU right itself.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Yes we did the ECU reset and also checked the TPS and it was in range with no skipping. Pulled the plug, it was good color, and reconnected wire properly.

Seafoam ratio is 1 oz. to one gallon of fuel and you can go as high as 2 oz. per gallon... :thumbup:
Sea Foam | Recommended Mix Amounts

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped about 3 or 4 ounces of Seafoam into about 3 gallons of gas I had in the tank. Took it for a spin. And it seems to have to cleared everything right up. I emptied the tank without a single hiccup. Even under hard acceleration. She now runs perfectly.

I never saw white smoke but I'm sure glad it worked like a charm for now! Thanks fellas!! :D

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an extreme thought here, and unlikely unless you drove for miles with a dead cyl dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust - what are the chances that you might have a melted catalytic converter as a result of the misfire?

For all it takes to pull the pipe and shine a light through the brick - it might be worth a passing glance.

The other thing I wonder - if you had a loose plug wire and arcing going on, there is a good chance you've also still got a carbon track in that spark plug boot or somewhere. Kinda like a troll still lurking...

I don't mean to rain on your parade - Just some thoughts that may save a headache. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped about 3 or 4 ounces of Seafoam into about 3 gallons of gas I had in the tank. Took it for a spin. And it seems to have to cleared everything right up. I emptied the tank without a single hiccup. Even under hard acceleration. She now runs perfectly.

I never saw white smoke but I'm sure glad it worked like a charm for now! Thanks fellas!! :D

You are the man! Hahaha! :BLAA: