FZ6 Compatible Handguards?

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to get some heated grips when the weather turns cold but I'm told that hand guards can really make the different by cutting the wind.

What's the current recommended standard for FZ6 use?

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to get some heated grips when the weather turns cold but I'm told that hand guards can really make the different by cutting the wind.

What's the current recommended standard for FZ6 use?

I was actually thinking about doing this myself for the winter months -- I know I've seen a picture of one bike on here that looks really clean with them.

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
I think I recall reading a post about someone who used Barkbusters. I THINK the Storm S1 seems to fit the bill for the FZ6. I am potentially looking into getting handguards as well, and am just starting to look, so don't take my word as gold. I have an '04, and the Barkbusters website only has them guards listed for '07 and higher, so I'm still digging around. I doubt there would be too big of a problem though...Here they are on twisted throttle.com

TwistedThrottle.com : Barkbusters Storm S1 handguards with universal single-sided mount for 7/8" handlebars - BB.S1

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the acerbis dual road handguards. They really made a difference in cold weather conditions. The only downside is that they are bar-end mounted, which means that you have to remove the stock heavy bar ends to put the much lighter bar ends from the acerbis kit.

The lighter bar ends lead to increased vibrations, which can make your hands numb, after a few hours of touring. That's the reason why I gave them away...

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I got myself a pair of Renthal for $35.00. They're not the greatest but get the job done. Easy to install... They clamp right between the hand grip and brake/clutch levers, nothing on the outside. They comes in white only... but with a choice of black, red or blue sticker.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I recall reading a post about someone who used Barkbusters. I THINK the Storm S1 seems to fit the bill for the FZ6. I am potentially looking into getting handguards as well, and am just starting to look, so don't take my word as gold. I have an '04, and the Barkbusters website only has them guards listed for '07 and higher, so I'm still digging around. I doubt there would be too big of a problem though...Here they are on twisted throttle.com

TwistedThrottle.com : Barkbusters Storm S1 handguards with universal single-sided mount for 7/8" handlebars - BB.S1

Yepeers, Barkbuster Storm S1 are the ticket. IMHO

DSC01535.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

Marc

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Yepeers, Barkbuster Storm S1 are the ticket. IMHO

DSC01535.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

Marc

I have a 2005 though and it says FZ6 S2 Fazer, '07-

Will these fit the '05?

YAMAHA MOTOR CANADA | Accessories
Yamaha makes their own...in Canada it is sold for the FZ6

I'm actually Canadian but living in San Francisco, but $245 is a little pricey.

I have Oxford heated grips being installed this week but I think the handguards would be great for blocking the wind.

Last edited:

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope,

They have very nice Aluminum clamps that go around the handle bars.

I tried several other types, including zip tying KLR and Honda hand guards but these just fit so good.

These are the ones that I got and they fit without any issues.

Barkbusters Storm S1 handguards with universal single-sided mount for 7/8" handlebars - BB.S1 : TwistedThrottle.com

Marc

I realized it's because you have a 2007 and I have a 2005. 2007 is the first year of the S2 revision, and these do not fit on mine.

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually mine is a 2006 ?????

Marc

Oh cool I went by your profile listing...I note your Speedo is the same as mine (I hate the tach...hard to read, I always read off the digital numbers).

According to Wikipedia:

2006 revision
The FZ6 in 2006 has a revised engine, frame, subframe, grabhandle, rear swingarm and wheels are painted in black. It had a metal honeycomb type catalytic converter satisfies EU2 and CARB emissions standards, and optimized fuel injection (FI) system mapping to increase torque at lower engine speeds.

And from Twisted Throttle:

Hi Jordan,

The FZ6 has been modified since 05'. The barkbuster's website also does not recommend this fitment.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Danielle

And...yep, according to the http://www.barkbusters.net/products/what-fits-my-bike.html#yamaha

FZ6-Fazer
2006-2009

Last edited:

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
The BarkBusters are confirmed as not working for the 2005.

I need ones that work with 2005 model without modifications.

Its true, the Barkbusters Storm S1 hand guards will not fit a 2004-2006 FZ6 properly without modification. They come out too far and will hit the fairing at the base of the mirror when the bars are turned completely. This will prevents slow speed full lock turns and locking your steering head. They may work better for Lomax due too the riser he is using to raise his bars up, but even then I'm not sure.

The modification to have them fit properly is very simple to do. You may have already seen it if you did a search, but just in case, here is a write up I did on how you can easily make them fit Here.

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

:thumbup: