• Keep the Fazer:

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Go get the V-Strom:

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
First of all... sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread.

I would like to know you guys opinion on this subject:

1 - My first motorcycle, in the year 2008, was the Yamaha Thundercat (2000);

2 - After almost 50.000km on it, I switched for the brand new Honda Deauville (2011)... terrbile mistake:
a) The Honda had serious reliability problems;
b) Was very unstable on the twists, it got worse with the passenger in the back, going out of a roundabout and pulling the throttle would make it point the front wheel to the sky...

3 - I was sick of the problems and after 35.000km I got a brand new Yamaha FZ6 Fazer (2014);

4 - After around 13.000km (today) on it and I really miss space to keep things, and I refuse to put sidecases and a topcase on the Fazer, I really like it as it looks.

So, my final question is:

Will I be giving a good step, going from the Fazer to the V-Strom?

I'll get the luggage space I need, the fuel economy is better (almost 500km with 1 tank), probably more confortable... maybe less security, but with the new Bosch ABS system the braking might be a better thing on the V-Strom, and the V-Strom as a better ground clearence to overcome the obstacles. But the V-Strom also isn't as fast, and in the turns maybe it gets a little "short" to make them fast.

Why not the Yamaha Tracer?

I really, really love the Tracer, but the tax you pay every year is around the double, insurance also gets higher, maintenance too... so I really want to save the money to use it on fuel and travel a little more.

What else?

Thanks in advance for all the replies you can give me.

P.S.: If there is something that you can't understand, probably it's because my english, since I'm not a native speaker.

"V"

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Tracer looks pretty much the same as the FZ, just more cc's, less power. Luggage/space would be the same with a much lower RPM range..Better mileage BUT higher insurance, plates? Sounds like that evens out..

How big a V-strom you looking at?

Put side cases on ANYTHING, it'll look bigger and be heavier..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The V-strom 650 XT is a nice bike. Yes the FZ6 is a faster bike but the 650 twin has more low end torque. It's really about what you need and what makes you happy. The new 650 twin is the Suzuki Gladius engine recammed and of course remapped ECU for better performance to meet the V-Strom performance requirements. The XT also has spoke wheels and you'll obviously trade off for slower turn in with the larger front wheel and taller stance of the bike. The latest 2017 iteration of the 650 V-strom is the best looking yet but even the 2012 on up versions looked better than the early models. If you at all see yourself on a trail with it you'll want an aftermarket bash/skid plate other than what the factory offers. GIVI or SW Motech make nice skid plates.

Comfort is going to be subjective because both bikes are upright and we all have different physical makeup.

It sounds as if you're already bucking toward the V-strom just on the boxes alone and they do have a solid reputation in regard to reliability.

Do I need to say anything regarding the FZ6? Hell no! One of the best bikes ever made in the history of motorcycling! :)

Serzedo

Reaction score
The FZ6 Fazer is one of the best motorcycles out there, no doubt.

Regarding the Tracer, the base model costs 10.495,00 €, add up taxes and side cases to the price.

The V-Strom costs 8.699,00 €, plus they offer equipment in the value of 776,00 €.
77_5_campanha_oferta_acessorios_dl650_small-1437.jpg
Top case, side stickers, skid plate, hand guards, 12v lighter.

With the V-Strom I would pay the same amount per year, that I already pay with the Fazer... with the Tracer I would end the year paying more insurance, and the circulation tax would jump from 57,13 € to 124,06 € and the maintenance would be more expensive.

My main worry is if the V-Strom is so unstable as the Deauville, beucase if it is I would scrap it out of the list in the same instant.

I really need to test-ride a V-Strom, but I can't find one to try it out.

EDIT: A friend of mine also talked about the Kawasaki Versys 650... it seems more road friendly than the Suzuki V-Strom, and they are offering tank protector, handguards, side cases with inner bags, for less than 9.000 € equipped with ABS. But I don't know how good are these motorcycles made by Kawasaki.

"V"

Last edited:

Serzedo

Reaction score
Well... a friend of mine solved my problem!! In the forum Motos & Destinos He told me SW-MOTECH has these ultra cool things, that you can install or remove whenever you want, it can be used with many types of side cases.

So I'm going to buy these adapters:
SW-MOTECH EVO side carriers

The seller told me that they are compatible with SHAD SH36... now I only have to choose between:
- Givi V35
- Shad SH36
- Kappa K33N

"V"

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well... a friend of mine solved my problem!! In the forum Motos & Destinos He told me SW-MOTECH has these ultra cool things, that you can install or remove whenever you want, it can be used with many types of side cases.

So I'm going to buy these adapters:
SW-MOTECH EVO side carriers

The seller told me that they are compatible with SHAD SH36... now I only have to choose between:
- Givi V35
- Shad SH36
- Kappa K33N

"V"

That set up looks very slick and darn near factory...

Agreed, best of both worlds..

Get to keep your known great bike, (no new payments, etc) AND your luggage which is NOT goofy looking at all!!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Jolly sensible (that's what I did!), except I made my own carrier - four bolts to take it off :)

Not to hijack the thread, but [MENTION=25432]dbldutch02[/MENTION] I would be interested in more info/pics on what you did. I have the Givi side carriers as well as the Givi carrier, but as I use it maybe 1-2 times a year, I would _love_ to be able to take it on/off, so very curious as to your setup.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread, but [MENTION=25432]dbldutch02[/MENTION] I would be interested in more info/pics on what you did. I have the Givi side carriers as well as the Givi carrier, but as I use it maybe 1-2 times a year, I would _love_ to be able to take it on/off, so very curious as to your setup.

I have the givi top and side case racks as well, it's only 5 mins or so to remove them, 2 bolts on the supports around the exhaust, 2 bolts underneath the passenger grab handles, and 2 nuts at the passenger foot pegs - the whole thing comes off as basically one unit.

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/54817-diy-pannier-racks.html

There you go, two existing fixing points on the subframe, two at the pegs. Plenty strong :)

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/54817-diy-pannier-racks.html

There you go, two existing fixing points on the subframe, two at the pegs. Plenty strong :)

Thanks, dumb me didn't think to search the forum for your posts on this. Appreciate it. This is awesome, to bad I don't have any welding experience, or a welder - yet ;)

The only problem I see with this is, with the cases on, you have no side-exposure of your rear turn signals. Not sure how I'd feel about that. Might have to ponder how to work around...

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, dumb me didn't think to search the forum for your posts on this. Appreciate it. This is awesome, to bad I don't have any welding experience, or a welder - yet ;)

The only problem I see with this is, with the cases on, you have no side-exposure of your rear turn signals. Not sure how I'd feel about that. Might have to ponder how to work around...

Never thought about it, I'll have a looksee over the next days. My priorities were to have the cases as close in as possible, and as far forward as possible without fouling the passenger pegs. I also didn't want to mess with the indicators 'cause then it looks silly with the cases off.

Serzedo

Reaction score
And here I am... in the same position where I started this thread. xD

Didn't do anything I has programmed, just having the same Fazer with no more luggage space, eheh, but with 21.000 km on it.

I had a child, moved next to my job, and I can really just go and walk to it, no need to ride the motorcycle, or go in the car.

But in a few years, +/- 5 to be more exact, I will need to take a step, to keep the Fazer, and mount a top case, or to sell the Fazer and buy a V-Strom 650.

Why in 5 years you ask? Because it's when my little girl will do 7yo, and I will be riding her to school, at least on good weather.

And I feel like... in 5 years the next V-Strom probably won't be so cool, and will have to many gizmos that I don't really appreciate, just as the 2019 model is just fine for me, no need for more tech.

The Yamaha Tracer 700, looks a little more nimble than the Suzuki, and less confortable, the Kawasaki Versys 650... meh.

But my wife really likes the Tracer 900 (but I don't really need one for now), and also my wife doesn't like the looks of regular trail motorcycles, like the V-Strom, Ténéré and such.

Why did God made me beautiful, and not rich!!! WHY?!?!? xD

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the pricing that's been set for bikes of late, the choice for me would be keep the FZ6. Maybe invest in a shock and fork upgrade.
If your doing some trails, then maybe a change but the FZ6 is already a great bike that has great dynamics.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One riding buddies has a v-strom 650 XT. The only significant advantage that bike ever had was when we (actually me) went the wrong way and ended up having to ride about 20kms of unpaved forest road, and I was on the Honda VTR1000F- while I was struggling to hold the handlebars he was just cruising.
Otherwise it is inferior in all aspects- much less overtaking power than the FZ6 at 8000+ RPM (however I do have a -1 front sprocket as well), much less high speed stability vs my naked FZ6 (the V-strom fairings unload the front end at speed), much less stability during cross winds vs the FZ6 at any speeds, less braking power, less cornering capacity, less traffic filtering capacity, trickier to ride at very slow speeds as it's more top heavy than the FZ6.
And almost every time I ride the FZ6 he comments "damn your bike sounds great".
He does however like the v-strom regardless, and says that for him the extra comfort and ABS are enough to make up for all disadvantages. He also gets maybe 10% more range at low to medium speeds.

Serzedo

Reaction score
One riding buddies has a v-strom 650 XT. The only significant advantage that bike ever had was when we (actually me) went the wrong way and ended up having to ride about 20kms of unpaved forest road, and I was on the Honda VTR1000F- while I was struggling to hold the handlebars he was just cruising.
Otherwise it is inferior in all aspects- much less overtaking power than the FZ6 at 8000+ RPM (however I do have a -1 front sprocket as well), much less high speed stability vs my naked FZ6 (the V-strom fairings unload the front end at speed), much less stability during cross winds vs the FZ6 at any speeds, less braking power, less cornering capacity, less traffic filtering capacity, trickier to ride at very slow speeds as it's more top heavy than the FZ6.
And almost every time I ride the FZ6 he comments "damn your bike sounds great".
He does however like the v-strom regardless, and says that for him the extra comfort and ABS are enough to make up for all disadvantages. He also gets maybe 10% more range at low to medium speeds.

Well... mine does have ABS, so the only thing would be the confort, but even that can be solved with a better seat and windshield.