FZ6 Clutch upgrades?

07FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have another thread regarding a clutch issue I am having, chances are very likely I will be needing to replace the clutch.

the bike only has 10,500 miles and the clutch is already acting up. I know I am hard on the bike, and I do drag race the bike a little, so I want to install a better clutch

The whole time I have had the bike the clutch has seemed a little wussy on hard launches, almost like it is slipping as it engages. Other bikes I have had have had a much more positive clutch engagement. For awhile when launching the bike hard I could hear what I thought was clutch slippage, it sounded a little like the rear tire sqeeling as I took of, but it was not traction related.

Is there a better clutch to use? I have thought of a barnett's Kevlar clutch, but since our bikes are similar to an R6 would an R6 clutch interchange and be any more beefy?

Has anyone here done the clutch on thier bikes, and what did you use?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Interested to hear you mention that since I have noticed it too if you take off hard and don't let the clutch out fully really fast. Definately sounds like the rear wheel is spinning but its definately not :(
Was that part of your problem or is that normal for the FZ6?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Interested to hear you mention that since I have noticed it too if you take off hard and don't let the clutch out fully really fast. Definately sounds like the rear wheel is spinning but its definately not :(
Was that part of your problem or is that normal for the FZ6?

That's normal for any vehicle. It's called clutch abuse.

Fred

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Find it a bit hard to take that its clutch abuse. On big hills or taking off with more than normal speed (normally a reasonably sedate rider) occasionally this happens if I don't just drop the clutch, which with first gear being how it is could be a recipe for disaster.
I'm still trying to get the clutch back to the perfect setting it was on before the first service, and I would say its because it has too much 'reach' that this sometimes happens.
Not riding the clutch or even revving all that hard and definately not doing race starts or anything. (Have never done a wheely)
Problem is with the clutch adjuster at the handle bar I'm as far in as I can get it and its still not good.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
That's normal for any vehicle. It's called clutch abuse.

Fred

Exactly...:spank: There is no reason an FZ6 clutch would "go south" unless you're abusing it.... There is also no reason for an upgrade, even if it exists.... Ride it properly and save your money....:thumbup:

07FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have found out that the FZ6 clutch uses wussy springs, that it what causes it to slip a little when it is "abused"

I find it funny that everyone says an FZ6 must be ridden soft. That is what gives these bikes a bad name. There are a few things that need to be upgraded to make it a fun bike.

I will be going to a stiffer spring like what is used in the R6, and should have no issues with Further "abuse" Then I can use the clutch however I want without it slippin. Fz Springs will cause it to slip much easier if you ride the clutch (and you have to at the track, or you will wheelie up and lose time)

I should mention that the clutch still grabs great, just acts funny at times. I did find that it was a little out of adjustment, and the squeel noise under hard acceleration is much better now.

I use Rotella full synthetic 5w40

07FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
And everyone has said to just get a different bike, that is B.S, and the main reason I am sticking with the FZ.

I want a mid to high 11 second FZ6 that I can still take on trips and be comfortable riding.

Everyone says get an R6.... I'd rather not. They have no power til the top of the power band, they are uncomfortable, and they arent even much faster. I can beat 90% of the R6's out there in a straight line and through the turns. And when I meet up with the guys for a ride, I'm not one of 4 or 5 guys on the SAME bike.

The R6 is a me too bike.... Hey he has an R6, Me too!

I'd rather keep making my FZ fast, and be able to have a good all around bike.

I have already ran a 12.20 at my local track, with a mostly stock bike and a wimpy clutch. Not to mention I was launching the bike like a grandma. My friend runs an 11.80 on a Ninja 636 with exhaust and a few other mods., and he launches way harder than me. I think the FZ does just fine as a drag bike.

Binks33

Reaction score
Visit site
wow dude take it easy.Just get a pipe and a powercomander and she'll run a 11.20 for sure.I to like the fz6 but dont see the point in puting all the money out to make l fast like true sport bikes:don'tknow: i wish i could have both.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Find it a bit hard to take that its clutch abuse.

Problem is with the clutch adjuster at the handle bar I'm as far in as I can get it and its still not good.

If you're giving the bike power while you still have the lever pulled partway, the clutch will slip. This isn't a problem. It's the clutch doing what it's supposed to do. I wouldn't call it clutch slip unless you've totally let off of the lever and it's slipping.

If you're having to slip the clutch for more than a second, you need to practice with it more. You should be able to take off from most any situation without needing to slip the clutch this much. Give it less power and let the clutch engage sooner. Granted, there are times when you have to slip it more, such as with a heavily loaded bike starting off on a steep hill. Most of the time, it's not necessary.

As for your cable problem, you'll need to lift up the fuel tank and get at the second adjuster that's tucked in next to the left hand frame rail. That should sort things out for you.

You can burn up a bike clutch in less than a minute if you do everything wrong. Prolonged clutch slipping, especially while giving the bike lots of gas, will wear it out that much sooner. And that is clutch abuse by my definition.

Hope this helps.

Fred