FZ6 as a new bike?

Epi

Reaction score
Visit site
I know all of you have probably heard this a million times, as have I, based on my research. I figured that I would finally put out my situation and hope that I could get some definitive advice.

So, I'm a new rider. I've taken an unofficial class through a neighbor's friend, but never followed through with my license (about two years ago). I have my permit now, and want to buy a bike to learn on. I am planning on leaving the country in a year, maybe less, so I want as much riding time as possible, hence why I buy it in the winter. Though, obviously not riding when there is the possibility of ice.

I've thought about two bikes so far, and they are both in the running, the 2007 FZ6, and the 2008 or up Ninja 250. I was pretty much set on the ninja, until a friend offered an FZ6 for $4000 at about 2500 miles on it. this would be less than I would end up paying over all of for a 250 (I have priced bikes in my area), cheapest 250 in the year range I want, was a 2010 for 3500, 4300 after all dealer fees. Now, one nice thing, is that since I wouldn't want another bike for a while, I could ship this bike out to Europe when I go and avoid having to buy a new one. From what I can find, this bike isn't the most ideal as a beginner bike, but it also isn't the worst, and is doable if I am careful with it. It also would mean that I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of trying to resell it, and then buy a better one for my trip, if I wanted.

I want honest advice. Due to the money that I would save, about a thousand after all fees that need to be paid, give or take a little bit, which bike is the better choice. I'm nervous learning on a 600, but everyone is saying that if I am cautious, it will be fine. Is it a better thing to pay more for the 250 ninja? or should I just go with the FZ6 and learn on that? I have been trying to make a decision for about two weeks now, and still am no closer to a final decision. Any comments would be much appreciated. I'm not one of the guys who is pushing for one bike or another, I don't really care about the 250 vs the 600 motor, the price is what is getting me and for a beginner bike, I'm just confused considering such wide opinions on the FZ6!

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Epi. Welcome to the site! You're going to get lots of people telling you many things. Possibly like this:

1. Use the search function on the site - there are many, many posts from people who have asked exactly your question.
2. The FZ6 is a great bike. Powerful when you want the power, easy to handle if you keep it in the low rev range.
3. Take the official MSF course.
4. Buy good protective gear - this is what you should be spending your money on.

MY opinion is that if you have very little or no experience with bikes, go with the Ninja. Buy the best protective equipment you can afford, and aim for a full set of riding pants, jacket, boots, gloves and of course a helmet. Better this than splashing ALL you cash on a fancy Shoei/Arai helmet and only wearing sneakers and a hoodie!

My second thing is about importing the bike to Europe. This is a lot more difficult than you think, with a ton of paperwork to do, changes to the bike to meet European standards, inspections to confirm said changes. Then insurance here is very expensive too. I know all this from importing my own Fazer from the UK to France (so within Europe!) and this process overall cost me at least 500 euros - with me doing all the work myself. Don't assume it's an easy thing to do. If I were to do it again I'd have sold my bike back in the UK and bought another one here. It was so much hassle, and took a long time, plus my level of French wasn't great which didn't help!

Good luck whatever you decide! Ride safe, enjoy being on two wheels and don't be a squid!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a used SV650.

Good fun and big enough bike to take anywhere and do anything from touring to sport riding. It's the typical ~600cc starter bike for a reason. Nice even and average power output for new rider, naked/semi/fully faired options, and available by the dozens on your local used bike sites at low prices. Have it for a year or two, throw it around drop it a couple times, then sell it for damn near what you paid for it.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go for the Ninja 250...the FZ6 has about 4 times as much horsepower, and i would think that an inexperienced/ new rider could get n a lot of trouble very quickly with 90hp at their disposal, as opposed to about 20hp on the Ninja...

If you do decide to get the FZ6....take it very very easy for quite awhile...

I think a bike that you can ride closer to it's limits is a better choice for a new rider....the FZ6 will go way harder than you can! Go the Ninja i say!

:thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The SV is a good split between the two. It has about 70-75hp as opposed to the 95 of the FZ6. The high revving R6 engine in the FZ6 can be a bit tricky. I started on it too and getting used to downshifting midcorner in traffic and finding the right spot in the power band was a bit tricky at first. Getting it wrong in bad traction scenarios like rain/cold/gravel patch/sewers/spilled oil or even just cold tires on a normal day with traffic around with that 95 hp it can be jumpy enough to really give a new rider significant problems if he's not careful.

The SV is a lot more forgiving. FZ is way better than an actual R6 and such to start on, but an SV is a great first bike.

Last edited:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
A little perspective here (or not).

When the first ever Superbike, Honda CB750, appeared it had 67bhp. This was The Fastest Motorcycle In The World at the time and only Supermen could ride one.

The FZ6 claims 98bhp. Call it a real 90.

A 600 is not for the inexperienced. People haven't changed, bikes have. A lot.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know all of you have probably heard this a million times, as have I, based on my research. I figured that I would finally put out my situation and hope that I could get some definitive advice.

So, I'm a new rider. I've taken an unofficial class through a neighbor's friend, but never followed through with my license (about two years ago). I have my permit now, and want to buy a bike to learn on. I am planning on leaving the country in a year, maybe less, so I want as much riding time as possible, hence why I buy it in the winter. Though, obviously not riding when there is the possibility of ice.

I've thought about two bikes so far, and they are both in the running, the 2007 FZ6, and the 2008 or up Ninja 250. I was pretty much set on the ninja, until a friend offered an FZ6 for $4000 at about 2500 miles on it. this would be less than I would end up paying over all of for a 250 (I have priced bikes in my area), cheapest 250 in the year range I want, was a 2010 for 3500, 4300 after all dealer fees. Now, one nice thing, is that since I wouldn't want another bike for a while, I could ship this bike out to Europe when I go and avoid having to buy a new one. From what I can find, this bike isn't the most ideal as a beginner bike, but it also isn't the worst, and is doable if I am careful with it. It also would mean that I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of trying to resell it, and then buy a better one for my trip, if I wanted.

I want honest advice. Due to the money that I would save, about a thousand after all fees that need to be paid, give or take a little bit, which bike is the better choice. I'm nervous learning on a 600, but everyone is saying that if I am cautious, it will be fine. Is it a better thing to pay more for the 250 ninja? or should I just go with the FZ6 and learn on that? I have been trying to make a decision for about two weeks now, and still am no closer to a final decision. Any comments would be much appreciated. I'm not one of the guys who is pushing for one bike or another, I don't really care about the 250 vs the 600 motor, the price is what is getting me and for a beginner bike, I'm just confused considering such wide opinions on the FZ6!
I would take Davey's advice on this.
Would it be possible for you to purchase a cheaper lower cc bike than the one you want?
This way you gain all the experience you need in the following year. And remove the hassle of importing it. This will also keep your costs down and save you more money.
I imported my bike into Ireland and again the paper work was a nightmare.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Or...keep the revs below 7,000 rpm. This bike is a Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also recommend the SV650, it has very neutral handling characteristics,good range of torque and power at lower rpms without being twitchy and there's a boatload available for very little money out there.

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm one of the people that started on the FZ6, and am only up somewhere between 1200 and 1300 miles. I have no regrets getting the FZ6, but it was not the first bike I put a leg over. I spent a few hours riding lower speeds on other bikes before purchasing my own, two others besides the one at the MSF course.

It is most definitely easy going at lower RPMs, and keeping it in a higher gear makes riding below 60MPH smooth and easy. I shifted at 4-5K every time.

For your situation, assuming you have not taken the MSF BRC, can not get hours on someone else's bike, and you will have to pay the cost of importing the bike to Europe... I would buy the Ninja now, dump it before you move, and buy what you want after you move.

Regardless of what bike you get, you need to go to a parking lot and practice things like emergency braking and swerving, although I'm not sure how much riding is going to be possible for you with the current weather. As a new rider, I do not feel comfortable once they start putting crap on the roads and temperatures are at or near freezing.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Ninja 250 or a 500 used, your chances of crashing or dropping are very high. just ask yourself this would you like to crash on a $1700 ninja 250 or a $3k + fz6. I didn't have my first accident till i had about 5,500 miles of experience. I am not saying that everyone crashes just statistics show the majority of riders have some type of accident in the early stages of riding. its what makes you a better rider and is part of the learning curve. The FZ6 is very fast and has good power. No matter how careful you think you will be chances are once you have it you are going to wanto let it rip, just to get the taste of the power. Which in return can turn into a bad Idea for an new guy. My only exception would be if you are a big big guy then a 600 would be perfect.

Just my opinion tho. others are welcome

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Ninja 250 or a 500 used, your chances of crashing or dropping are very high. just ask yourself this would you like to crash on a $1700 ninja 250 or a $3k + fz6. I didn't have my first accident till i had about 5,500 miles of experience. I am not saying that everyone crashes just statistics show the majority of riders have some type of accident in the early stages of riding. its what makes you a better rider and is part of the learning curve. The FZ6 is very fast and has good power. No matter how careful you think you will be chances are once you have it you are going to wanto let it rip, just to get the taste of the power. Which in return can turn into a bad Idea for an new guy. My only exception would be if you are a big big guy then a 600 would be perfect.

Just my opinion tho. others are welcome

I agree with moedog. I started out with a DT175, then a 350 twin street bike. When I went to my next bike, an 850 twin, I was surprised at how quickly I got into trouble with the extra horsepower. Learning to ride a smaller bike throughout the full powerband is an invaluable lesson that will likely benefit you for years to come.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are plenty or people here on this forum who started off with a FZ6. And there are a lot who worked their way up to the FZ6.

One thing about the Ninja 250, you will definatley out grow it and you will want something else sooner than later, whether it's the FZ6 or something else that has striked your interest.

Without knowing how you ride, really can't say if the FZ6 would be a good idea. The biggest concern we have with new riders is simply throttle control. Obviously, a 250 is much more forgiving. Are you able to apply a steady throttle when pressing? Do you have a tendency to apply a choppy throttle (accel & decel) while turning?

My only advice, don't go bigger than a 600 and buy it used! And no matter what bike you end up getting, don't forget to "Enjoy the Ride"

rickvan67

Junior Cheeseburger
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2007 FZ6 was my first bike...ever. The reason I chose the FZ is that I wanted a bike I wouldn't grow out of in a year. I tend to ride very conservatively and go easy on the throttle. I've been riding for 2.5 years now and I feel great on it. I still ride conservatively and within my limits; that won't change. I'm 43 with three kids that need their father.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have one season under my belt on a street bike. My first bike is a 2005 FZ6. However, I had a small cc dirt bike as a kid.
It sounds like you don't have much experience. (no offense, I still need more) So i highly recommend the MSF BRC, it gives you practice on their bikes.
I would also suggest the the 250, I had a couple close calls early last season. The FZ6 has a lot more power than you think. Push a used 250 to your limits learn the skills. I wish i had a 250 to play with and train more skills on.
Lastly, I have been in the army for nine years. I had a buddy who tried to bring his car back from Germany. He said it was a nightmare. Keep in mind you have to do that twice if you want to bring it back.
Anyway good luck, ride safe, have fun.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up with an 07 Ninja 250. If you would have told me this would be my first bike, I would have told you no way. I wanted my first bike to be an 07 FZ6, a Versys, or an 08+ Ninja 250. In the process of getting my money together, I found a 07 Ninja with 2500 miles on it for $1000.
Because I went cheap and small, I have money now to get all my gear, gps, luggage and cash to take the MSF. Not to mention the bike is more than enough for me a 1st time rider.
I have no shame. I love my lil 250. :Sport:

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally if you are over 18, and have any discipline at all you will be fine on the FZ6. It is a very tame bike, just keep it out of the high rev range.

The SV on the other hand has a lot of torque at the bottom. So I would think a tad easier to get away from you in the slow maneuvers.

My first street bike was a 90 Honda Hurricane 1000. Just like your car, you dont drive it in triple digit speeds, so why do that with the bike. Just ride it normal as you have been taught.

I have owned many bikes including an 08 SV650sf, an 02 Ninja 250 and now the 07 FZ6, and this bike is very gentle if you want it to be. I would say the SV was much easier to get in trouble with than the FZ6 would be.

A list of bikes I have owned, All were purchased new with exception of the Ninjas (250/500)

90 Hurricane 1000 bought in 90 (giving away my age here, I was 27)
96 Honda Shadow Ace
03 Honda CBR1100XX Black Bird
05 Honda Goldwing ABS
06 Suzuki GSXR 1000 Red/Blk (2 of these)
06 Suzuki GSXR 600
06 Honda CBR1000RR
02 Ninja 250 (did my first track day on it) Great bike, very simple to maintain.
06 Suzuki DR650SE
06 Yamaha FJR1300A
06 Honda 600RR (track Bike)
07 Honda CBR 600RR (2 of these)
06 Kawasaki Ninja 500 (bought to teach someone to ride)
08 Kawasaki Versys
08 Suzuki SV650SF
08 Suzuki Bandit 1250s
09 Kawasaki Versys (loved the first one so much got another one)

I have currently in my garage 09 Versys, DR650, ZR7s (project) and the 07 FZ6.

I think if you buy the ninja 250, you might be a little disappointed in a few months when you have some experience under your belt. The things you will appreciate on the FZ6 VS the Ninja are the Brakes number 1, and the ability to get out of the way if need be in traffic. Dont get me wrong the Ninja 250 is an excellent bike, but you will tire of it quickly when your experience level goes up and it will quickly.

Just remember "Stupid Hurts", don't do stupid stuff and you will be fine.

After some miles, sign up for a Level 1 track day with the school. They will teach you more in one day than you will learn in a year on the street.

Good luck with your decision, and chose your riding buddies carefully. Let them know you are a beginner, and need some proper guidance. What we always do with a new guy is put him between us, he has some one to follow, and the leader points out stuff to watch out for (gravel, tight turn, animals etc...) the guy following can help him with positive critique.

BTW, sitting on both bikes which feels more comfortable to you, Seat height etc...

Todd

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2 bobs worth,the best learner you can get is a 250 road trail/dual purpose.The reason being they are light(easy to pick up & manouvre),cheaper to fix(if you drop it),Dual purpose tyres will teach you about traction(accel/braking & lean angle) & if you get bored,you can take it in the dirt to hone your bike contol skill's :thumbup:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing about the Ninja 250, you will definatley out grow it and you will want something else sooner than later, whether it's the FZ6 or something else that has striked your interest. "

If you go to the Ninjette web site, you'll see that there are guys that have been ridding for 10+ years that have Ninja 250s. They say the ill bike reaches its limits before they do, and can be ridden on the edge without being to far in the danger zone.
I was all so surprised by the age of Ninja riders. Very seasoned guys that have had many bikes that have upgraded to the Ninjette.
Check your ego at the door, because people will try to tell you to get a bigger bike as soon as possible for some reason. The last I checked the top speed limits on the highways is 70mph max.
Being a 1st time biker, just being on a bike is great. If I have a mistake on the bike, so what? It was a $1000 bike and will not hurt so much if I drop it.
The FZ6 is a Sexy Sweet ride and would tempt me to ride it like it looks, and I'm not ready for that just yet.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Another vote for the Ninja 250. My first bike was an 07 Ninja 250. Sure its not too fast but it is light, fun and cheap. The simple mistakes I made on that bike were easier to overcome than if I'd had the FZ6. I dropped it one in the driveway, my foot was too close to it, a little lean and down we went! Broke my foot, but I didn't figure that out till later. Picked it up and rode to work wondering why my foot hurt so much.

If you typically ride in areas where the speeds are 60 mph or less the Ninja is a blast but runs out of breath over 70. In the residential area where I live the FZ is boring because can't open it up! The little Ninja was great, upshifts, downshifts, and not being too far over the speed limit. They will do 70 or 80 ALL day long. If your riding is more on the interstates the FZ is better because it will accelerate and get you out of trouble. The Ninja takes more care because you dont have the power - kind of like my wife's Smart car.

When I first started 3 years ago, the stops and starts were something that took practice, particularly when the stop is uphill and you are making a turn from the stop. Noting like to miss where you are trying to be by a few feet to make one realize that more practice is needed. I distinctly remember making a right turn from a stop and winding up near the center line (not where I planned to be) and being thankful a car was not in the same spot. Another time was turning left from a stop and ran wide almost running off the side of the road. Simple mistakes on a lighter bike. The FZ is heavier and more difficult to control at low speeds.

Part of the reason I'm cautious is I've been around motorcycle racing for several years and have seen lots of folks go down. Sometimes it is just a little too fast but many time it's "how did they do that"? Saw a bike go down in the rain because he was going very slow and cut the corner too close and hit the white line - went right down! He picked the bike up and rode on with only damage to his pride. Why did he cit the corner too close? Going very slow he didn't have the momentum to carry him into the corner and the turn was developing slower so he turned in too quick. Simple mistake but is easy to make.

Starting on the Ninja made me a better rider and helped me appreciate the capabilitiesnof the FZ 6.

Buy good gear - all the gear all the time.

Last edited: