Fz6 air cooling??

rachtak

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in need of a quick response. I rode 100miles, got off Ty highway to pull into a gas station and noticed that my radiator was leaking coolant. There's no way to fix it at this current time and location.

I have 200miles left. All freeway, no traffic. Can I keep riding? Will the bike air cool itself sufficiently (70 deg and dry now) to make it?

I had not noticed the leak prior to pulling into the gas stand. I do not know when during the 100 miles it started leaking.

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
you can keep driving but at the first sign of overheating (there's a warning light?) pull over and stop the engine and let it cool for 10 minutes. a.s.o...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ HINT - if there is NO COOLANT IN THE SYSTEM YOU CAN NOT rely on the temp gauge to save the engine!!! That will end badly with a fried engine. Coolant past the sensor transfers heat. As in, the thermal mass of fluid is greater than that of steam. If there is NO FLUID, the sensor may under-report the temperature even though the engine is near melt down.

OP You need to take keep it near full. If it runs too low you will burn up the engine. Either fix the leak or bring enough fluid with to fill it up.

Air cooling a water cooled engine is not likely enough. Remember the oil cooler is also part of the picture and when out of coolant, the heat exchanger needs water to be effective.