Fz6 2005 strange things started to happen

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
So I will start from when it did happen. I was cleaning the bike on Saturday, cleaned it, clean and lubed the chain and adjusted it to specs. And I have changed the throttle grip with it's plastic tube because the old one was messed up by previous owner when he was installing the heated grips.
So after that the problem started. When engine cold everything seems as it was nothing unusual. When trying to pull away it seems way more sluggish ten it was. And when the engine warms up to the temperature it's starts getting a bit worse: when slowing down etc 3d gear slowing down from 40mph to 30 and keeping 30 it's starts to get a bit twitchy when trying to keep the constant speed. Same with other gears. Seems like when the revs drops bellow 4k it's starts to get unusual twitchy and choppy on the throttle ,like a bit jumping with strange sound coming out as well sound like a little of missfire. When bike stands in neutral when worm it idles at 1040-1080 it's a bit low by manual but it has been all the time like that. My throttle is adjusted as it should be.
I was wondering can it be the other throttle cable messed up when changing the throttle grip? Or some water got somewhere when washing?i was only using sponge no jet wash.
The bike has done 27000 miles and on the papers it says the spark plugs where changed at ~24000 miles can that be a problem? I installed new kn air filter at around 25500 and new oils and new oil filter. Anyone has a suggestion what should I look for?

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to film the sound of it so maybe there is more problems temperature at 2 bars: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oeokWv7MUQ"]Strange noise of my fz6 - YouTube[/ame]

blu3

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you wash the bike, when you say cleaned it I assume that you did wash it. If you did then it is possible that you got some water where the spark plugs are, a friend had exactly the same issue and it turned out to be water in the housing where the spark plugs are.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to film the sound of it so maybe there is more problems temperature at 2 bars: Strange noise of my fz6 - YouTube
2005 bikes had a faulty throttle position sensor (TPS) this caused irratic running and was fixed by Yamaha free of charge part of a recall. If you give your Yamaha dealer your bike number "sticker under the seat" you can see if it has been carried out.

Neil

herbis

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Start the bike from cold for about 10 seconds, turn off & check the header pipes up high, one at a time with spit on the end of your finger or a wet rag & find out if any of the pipes is cold or luke warm is a good place to start, to isolate a cylinder with a faulty/shorted plug or cap/ignition issue without pulling anything apart.

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
At first Thanks everybody for a quick replies. I was washing the bike with water and sponge,it would be really strange if some water got in as I wasn't using a lot of it. But because problem developed after washing it may be the case. If that's the case can I dry it with blow dry or a heat gun?
Head pipes I can check in about half h and say how they are. If one of the sparks is faulty should the header pipe be cold?

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
Start the bike from cold for about 10 seconds, turn off & check the header pipes up high, one at a time with spit on the end of your finger or a wet rag & find out if any of the pipes is cold or luke warm is a good place to start, to isolate a cylinder with a faulty/shorted plug or cap/ignition issue without pulling anything apart.

So just checked that, all of them where hot, none cold or worm. Can that be a problem with second throttle cable which doesn't have adjustment where the handlebar is?

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
2005 bikes had a faulty throttle position sensor (TPS) this caused irratic running and was fixed by Yamaha free of charge part of a recall. If you give your Yamaha dealer your bike number "sticker under the seat" you can see if it has been carried out.

Neil

Does the number look smthg like 1b35-060 this?

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same problem after washing it. Most prob there is water inside the the spark plug.
Solution. Remove the spark plug housing and blow some air inside. Then turn on the bike and leave it on until the fan does 4-5 cycles. After that it should be ok.

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
As spark plug housings were normal I was suggested that it may be some water or other crap in the fuel system. As it started to happen when the tank was low(happened the same day i was cleaning it) .So bought some fuel injector cleaner will see how it goes.

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
Right, the newest update: was driving fine for like 30min then again the same problem under 4k revs it's just starts twitching etc. something new was that I came to the stop,rolled off the throttle, see my rpms going to 600-700 and then bike died,tried to start it and it immediately dies,also strange noise coming out of somewhere around engine. After some time started it rpms 1020-1080 as ussual. Managed to get my self home and it died again. Any thoughts???

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks a lot Nelly. I just did the test and the numbers is 16 on closed and 100 on fully open which means it's all good?i have changed the spark plugs as well,one of the spark plug tube which connects on to them was looking like wet or oily. When I have taken the spark plug out it was a little bit oily as well. If that means anything?I will go and have a ride around and see if anything changed..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
High resistance at the kill switch could cause a problem. Voltage supply to the coils and injectors would be effected. See if operating (jiggling) the kill switch has an effect on bike while it's running. If you suspect that it is the problem then you can fashion a jumper to cross the 2 wires that go to the kill switch to eliminate it till you can get new one.

Lift the tank and check your voltage at the battery. You should see better than 13 vdc with RPM above 2000 rpm. Voltage at the battery with engine off should be 12.6 and above with the key off.

If you are seeing the #12 error code you may have a failing crankshaft position sensor. We had a member who's timing chain was so worn it cut into the the sensor. He had to have the sensor, timing chain, auto tensioner and chain guides replaced. This sensor is how the ECU knows where the crank position is and then controls fuel injectors and spark timing.