FZ6 2004 running rough

MarkyB

Reaction score
Visit site
Morning Guys,

Need a little bit of help with an issue that started last Friday, on my way home the bike backfired a little going up hill and then started over-revving (about 2.5/3k with the clutch in), I parked it up over night and thought perhaps the fuel gauge was playing up as it was a little low, so I filled up but no change.

Before this happened about half a dozen times i've pulled up at lights and the bikes died on me (tried ticking over at 600-900) but it was too infrequent for me to worry about it.

Now it seems like it's running on 3 cylinders, will run and ride and tick over at 1200/1300 but pretty lumpy with no faults on the diag screen.

I changed the plugs and had a spare fuel pump to swap but no change & in my in-experienced view, it does seem that the 1 & 2 downpipes are slightly cooler than the others (as you sit on the bike) but this may be marginal.

Any help would be great guys before I start buying bits or put it into a shop...

Many thanks

MB

B4sok

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem and it turned out it was the TPS. Contact Yamaha with your frame number and check it has been done. If not they should do it F.O.C as it was a recall.
Cheers
Ewen

MarkyB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I can't quite get my barnet round how a TPS can unbalance fuelling but I will ring the local dealer with my details and update when I know..

Thanks again

MB

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When the plugs caps were off, did you by chance give them a twist (they screw on to the plug wire) and confirm they are in fact tight?

If they don't snug down, cut 3mm off the wire, fan out the wires core, and thread the cap back down. This has solved several ignition misfire issues and helped bikes which run good but have minor vibrations (mine to be specific).

Its free, it takes little effort and the reward can be huge!

Read this; Post #3, #14->> onward. . .
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...d-your-kit-when-doing-spark-plug-changes.html

MarkyB

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks,

I'll do that before it goes in to the dealer, I rang them and my bike hasn't been in for any recalls so not sure what else is being done as I only mentioned the TPS, they're ordering the parts and going to book it in once in, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help guys.

MB (happier)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks,

I'll do that before it goes in to the dealer, I rang them and my bike hasn't been in for any recalls so not sure what else is being done as I only mentioned the TPS, they're ordering the parts and going to book it in once in, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help guys.

MB (happier)

You should have the TPS replaced as well as the lock washer for the front sprocket.

MarkyB

Reaction score
Visit site
Well guys, you were right.

New TPS fitted under recall and now back to her silky self..

I did take a video of before & after so I'll post them here so anyone else
who may have this fault can see the difference.

MB

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
As Borat would say, "Great Success!!" Glad to hear it was an easy (and free) fix for you. Such a good feeling getting your bike running like new again.