FZ1N Headlight install

Yamadog

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks tom5796/victorb, you guys inspired me! I read you threads and called Chris at Flatout - got everything I needed (came with a few unneeded items but they didn't cost much). Took longer than I expected (bracket, adjustments...) and I still have some fine tuning but it looks great. Seems to perform better too - lighter, agile in traffic, quicker - Great feel all the way around. I knew I'd like the way it look but performance too (Psychological? NO). Nakeds Rule!

Yamadog

Reaction score
Visit site

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Man you guy's have done a great job! If i ever drop my FZ; I am going Nekkid!

Has everyone who has converted noticed a change in the handling?

Just curious.

Thanks,

maxpower3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried emailing and calling Flat Out to get a price on the FZ1N headlight. I haven't received any responses. Can anyone help me out? I'm really looking to get one of these kits. The bike looks great.

Brad

Senpai
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried emailing and calling Flat Out to get a price on the FZ1N headlight. I haven't received any responses. Can anyone help me out? I'm really looking to get one of these kits. The bike looks great.

Pretty much order the parts from there part finder, all you need is the list of part numbers. You can find those in This thread.

03zq8

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd also like to thank tom5796/victorb, their threads took a lot of guess work out of the install. For the parts, I took the part numbers from the FZ1OA thread and ordered them from a local dealer. Don't forget the fork mounts.

I put the FZ1N light on my 04, and I love it. I upgraded to the 07+ speedo too, that's a huge improvement.

Has anyone had trouble routing the throttle cables? They seem to bind when near full lock in a left turn.

Sorry for the poor pic quality, but you get the idea.

DSC05090Medium.jpg

DSC05091Medium.jpg

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
maxpower3, quoted from another post:
Just wanted to let you guys know that flatoutmotorcycles ecommerce has been sold to a company named partshark.com as you guys can figure I'm chris mentioned in this thread. So if you are wanting to go with the naked kit let me know. You can reach me at toll free 877-999-5686 or send me an email at [email protected]

I'll update the parts list post with this info too. I don't know if the price is still the same though.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike! First time I see this headlight on a pre 07 bike.
Man these FZ1N'ed FZ6s are sprouting like mushrooms this season! See what you did Tom! :)

Has anyone had trouble routing the throttle cables? They seem to bind when near full lock in a left turn.

I didn't have any issue with the throttle cables binding.. Maybe the routing is different in the 04-06 model years?

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Gonna be doing this once my parts come in. I was going to ask in a new thread but it seems the only ones that care about this mod are already kicking around this and the links to the others.

For the fork mounts, do you like the chrome or would you wish is was all black? Also with the front harness, who just tied it all up and who stripped it down to just what is needed?

My plan is to paint the fork mounts as well as modify the harness and get rid of the extra wiring. then put water proof connectors and wrap in up in the loom in case i'd like to bring the harness back to stock. I'm also going to make an aluminum bracket for the lower mount and paint it black as well.

I'm also debating having the running lights flash with the blinkers but I have to try it first and see how it looks. What kind of bulbs are in there. Orange #194?

Last edited:

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
I fixed that by by drilling a hole through .5" rubber stoppers and putting them between the lower part of the bracket that youi had to fab and the frame. Works perfectly. In fact my night vision at low beam is better with the FZ1N light than the FZ6 stock fairing light. :thumbup:

tom5796 were you able to use the OEM bolts to reconnect the bracket to the forks? I'm just wondering that after putting the spacers in the bolts might not be long enough. Thanks

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the cable tie magic :)

The only proper fork clamps I've seen online that I think would work are the ones you have, and I'm not a fan of their look either. Also, after doing 300 miles with my ghetto cable ties, I know that the load up there is really minimal. The bolts that fix the stay to the frame really support the whole headlight assembly without a problem.

I'll try to see if I can get some ring shaped clamps at a regular hardware store and make a custom plate to attach the stay. I think a simple round 1/2" wide black plastic clamp would look alright. I have no idea if it exists though.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

victor, are you still using the "ghetto" cable ties, and if so, have you had any issues? I ordered those fork clamps, but don't really want to use them if I can avoid it.