FZ1 Handlebars

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife just informed me that my new handlebars came in. I'm plan on doing this mod early next week. Has anyone done this mod and not liked it and why? Can you think of anything major I need to consider while switching?

I need to find some new grips. Any suggestions and links?

Thanks

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just put Rizoma bars on not FZ1.

As for grips, just put Rizoma sportline grips on. They are very popular on this site. Don't think anyone has bagged them yet.

Try PJ's or cjmoto. :thumbup:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just put Rizoma bars on not FZ1.

As for grips, just put Rizoma sportline grips on. They are very popular on this site. Don't think anyone has bagged them yet.

Try PJ's or cjmoto. :thumbup:

Do post some pics...
Are the Rizoma handlebars lower. What are the parts numbers and pricing info pls?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife just informed me that my new handlebars came in. I'm plan on doing this mod early next week. Has anyone done this mod and not liked it and why? Can you think of anything major I need to consider while switching?

I need to find some new grips. Any suggestions and links?

Thanks

If you want cheap, but good, go for another set of the OEM grips, they are as good as anything eldse out there, in the cheaper pricing bracket...but if you want bling, like Kazza said, the Rizoma Sportline's are a good compromise...not the most expensive grip that Rizoma do, but still well made, and very sexy to look at!

:D

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I got FZ1 bars on mine.

You need to look out for the master cylinder when switching bars, as the brake line will be obstructed when the new bars are fitted. I had to adjust the line going into the cylinder, and voilá.

Your bike is US-spec right? If so, you won't see any problems fitting your original bar-ends to the new bar. If the bike is Euro, then you'd need to buy another set of bar-ends with corresponding inserts as the thread diameter is different on Euro FZ1's and FZ6's.

Why switch handles? A bit of soap and patience, and your left hand side handle will slide right off ready to be installed on your new bar:thumbup:

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
I got FZ1 bars on mine.

You need to look out for the master cylinder when switching bars, as the brake line will be obstructed when the new bars are fitted. I had to adjust the line going into the cylinder, and voilá.

Your bike is US-spec right? If so, you won't see any problems fitting your original bar-ends to the new bar. If the bike is Euro, then you'd need to buy another set of bar-ends with corresponding inserts as the thread diameter is different on Euro FZ1's and FZ6's.

Why switch handles? A bit of soap and patience, and your left hand side handle will slide right off ready to be installed on your new bar:thumbup:

What kind of difference does this make to the FZ6 with the FZ1 bars?

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of difference does this make to the FZ6 with the FZ1 bars?

First of all: Looks. Combined with a decent set of mirrors, the front of the bike will look lower (read: aggressive) which is a good thing in my eyes. Further, your riding stance will be more aggressive as you lean more forward.

For me personally, the new bars seemed to ease a shoulder thing I got. I can ride longer without stops, than what I could before the switcharoo.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 bars will lower your lean, because they are lower than the FZ6 bars. This helps get weight over the front wheel, great for cornering stability.

I have used Progrips on my last 3 bikes. Love them because the diameter is thicker than most (which I far prefer) and they have a great soft gel feel. You don't have to hold on as tight. Best $14 I've spent.

I like to use hairspray to install the grips. Slides on a treat and dries hard. And ditto about the master cylinder, I had to loosen and re-position the banjo on mine. No biggy. You'll love the mod. I recommend raising the forks 8mm through the clamps at the same time.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
I kept the stock grips and added grip puppies...best $50 bucks I've spent (for both). I don't notice myself leaning anymore foward than before, but then again my arms are longer than most. Makes the bike feel just right for me.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 bars will lower your lean, because they are lower than the FZ6 bars. This helps get weight over the front wheel, great for cornering stability.

I have used Progrips on my last 3 bikes. Love them because the diameter is thicker than most (which I far prefer) and they have a great soft gel feel. You don't have to hold on as tight. Best $14 I've spent.

I like to use hairspray to install the grips. Slides on a treat and dries hard. And ditto about the master cylinder, I had to loosen and re-position the banjo on mine. No biggy. You'll love the mod. I recommend raising the forks 8mm through the clamps at the same time.

I raised my forks through the top clamp by as much as 20mm, when i first got my drag bars, but found the bike tipped in a little bit too quickly, and it felt nervous...so i went to 10mm, and it was better, then i got Ohlins fork internals, that were set up well, for an FZ6 Cup bike (racetrack firm), which didnt have the forks dropped through the triple clamp...and now my front end is sweet as a button! handles intuitively now...

Be careful when raising forks, it does alter the geometry, and the set up of the forks needs to be taken into account...

If your forks are set up a bit soft for you (OEM springs & oil/Heavyish rider combo), and you raise the forks, then it's gonna tip in quicker alright, but dive like a mofo whilst doing so...which could cause the front end to wash out if you are really on it....

:thumbup:

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
I raised my forks through the top clamp by as much as 20mm, when i first got my drag bars, but found the bike tipped in a little bit too quickly, and it felt nervous...so i went to 10mm, and it was better, then i got Ohlins fork internals, that were set up well, for an FZ6 Cup bike (racetrack firm), which didnt have the forks dropped through the triple clamp...and now my front end is sweet as a button! handles intuitively now...

Be careful when raising forks, it does alter the geometry, and the set up of the forks needs to be taken into account...

If your forks are set up a bit soft for you (OEM springs & oil/Heavyish rider combo), and you raise the forks, then it's gonna tip in quicker alright, but dive like a mofo whilst doing so...which could cause the front end to wash out if you are really on it....

:thumbup:

I don't know anything about adjusting the forks? I really need to do this and why?

Thanks for every ones input. All of this is most helpful.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
well I just installed my FZ1 bars last night and:

only reason to be unhappy is the extra borehole that now looks out at me from the rear of the bars (very very minor) and the need to drill the bars to make room for the tab on the right hand control cluster. Easy mod tho.

reasons to be happy:
my wrists are SO happy with the new angle
there is a real, tangible difference in the way the bike handles
they actually look better

I had rizoma sport line grips and angled bar ends on before and they installed no prob on the new bar. I disagree that these are only for looks btw - there is a slight increase in vibes at higher speeds but you eliminate the raised rubber lip on the stock grips. For me it was a great increase in comfort b/c I have big hands and the rubber lip was digging into the edge of my palms. And they do look very very sexy.

But the bar? It's a very serious contender for best mod on my bike. go for it!

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You dont have to drill new holes in the bars. Simply dremel or file the nubbies that would fit into those holes, then you can adjust the control housing anywhere you want.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
very true, but then you have to really screw them down tight...or at least I would be paranoid about things sliding round without the nobs. But yes you can definitely do that.

Nick314

Reaction score
Visit site
I am very exciting to see the result, could you post us some pictures? I am thinking about doing the same mod on my bike as well and I want to know how it turned out!

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
I just posted an incidental pic in this thread

I'll go get some more where you can see the hole and the clearance later today.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
took the pics yesterday but forgot to post them :rolleyes:

anyway here they are :)

notice the hole on the back of the bars (my silicone had dried up on me so still need to fill that in)

also I only left a very small amount of tank clearance when at full lock - this could easily be increased by angling the bars slightly more up without hurting the riding position. experiment.