Future FZ6 owner here, chiming in from Afghanistan!

EMAN44

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello to everyone on the forums from beautiful Afghanistan :rolleyes: Being on deployment with my Guard unit, when I'm not on mission, I have some time to plan and dream for my homecoming and after talking to my wife she's agreed to let me buy my first motorcycle when I get home.

Besides some experience on a few dirt bikes and even a scooter that I rode around for a month in Germany, I have no real street experience on a real bike. Before I get chastised for getting a 600CC sportbike as my first ride, be aware that due to my size I cannot fit on just any ole' bike. I am 6'7'' 245lbs, and I realize that my size limits me on a lot of bikes that I can start off on.

From what I've been researching online, I've come to the realization that I will not fit on a 250 all that well. The bikes that I've had my eye on have been the FZ6 (that's why I'm here!), the SV650N, and the Wee Strom. Without sitting on any of these bikes, I don't know which I'll fit on the most comfortably but I'd have to say that due to the size the Wee Strom would be the best. Only thing, I absolutely do NOT like how the Wee Strom looks...I love the way the naked bikes look, especially the FZ6 with the India/Streetfighter conversion.

Now, when I get back home, I do plan on taking the MSL course as well as the mandatory course from the military, and I do plan on not hitting the road for a while. I have a enormous church parking lot behind my house that I plan on spending countless hours getting comfortable with the bike before I hit the road (not literally hitting the road ;) )

Once I get comfortable in riding, I really only plan on just cruising on the bike. I can say with 100% certainty, that I will never see a track with a motorcycle. I can also say, that being a police officer back home, I've seen way too many accidents involving motorcycles that really has an effect on how I potentially ride my bike. I realize that cars are the evil on the road when it comes to riding, but I've also seen my share of accidents that involved a single motorcycle, an immature rider, and too much speed.

But as I've said, I plan on having a bike to just cruise around and make short runs around the city, saving me some gas money. I've done some research on parts for the bike that will make the ride more comfortably for me, but I wanted to run them by ya'll and see what your opinions are...

I'm planning on getting the lowered footpegs by knight design, and am going to email them to see if they can actually make them 1.5'' lower instead of the regular 1''. I don't know how that will affect the placement of the brake pedal, shifter, etc...What other options do I have for lowering the placement of my feet?

I also am planning on getting the handlebar risers from twisted throttle as they seem to be easy to install and make a big difference for us tall guys. The seat is another concern, it might have to be 1'' higher, but I'd rather wait and see how the pegs and risers work out first.

Now the one area I have no clue on is the suspension. Coming from a car back round, I can install coilovers and lowering springs all day, but I'm clueless on bikes. From what I gather from this site and others, the FZ6 is aimed more for the 160lb-175lb rider. I know that I'll have to change up the suspension to get the bike handling right for my weight, but I have no clue where to begin. I know that fork springs are a must, but what about the rear spring?

Other than the parts I've mentioned, what else do you recommend/suggest? I do plan on getting some nice riding gear when I get back, so you won't see me riding in shorts and flip flops like I see some. What other items should I be aware of on the FZ6? I've read that the clutch takes some time to get used to, but what other bike related items should a beginner be aware of?

I'm sorry about the long introductory rant, but as I've said, when I'm not on mission, I got loads of time to think and dream, and I'd rather have a gameplan set up before I get home. All your opinions are welcomed as well as the criticisms. If you think I shouldn't get an FZ6, that's fine, just let me know why. I appreciate your time in reading this and let's help me get from riding around in one of these...
IMG_0035.jpg

to getting on one of these....
DSC_0143.jpg

Emanuel

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome::welcome::welcome: to the forum!

You won't go wrong with the FZ6. Fantastic bike :D

Good luck and stay safe in Afghanistan. It's ANZAC Day in Australia tomorrow - very important day for us to respect the Aussie and New Zealand men and women who have served for this great country. We'll be going to the dawn service. We'll be thinking of our allies too :)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!! Since your obviously not a complete novice to two wheels you should be just fine on the fz. But with your size you would be much more comfortable on a "wee strom" dl650. I'm just over 6' and weight right around 200, but I have long legs and long arms so I have a slight cramped feeling on my fz, where on my old vstrom I had plenty of room to spare. There are a bunch of members here who are taller than me who seem to feel just fine on the fz though. I would recommend riding them all or at least sitting on them before making any decisions. I will say that I love the fz way more then I ever could have the vstrom, it's a completely different animal!!! And by the way Thank You For Your Service!!!

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look into doing the FZ1 bar mod. It's quick (like an hour), cheap ($50), and is supposed to take a ton of strain off your wrists. I did it yesterday to my fz6, but haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet. :( We'll see tonight!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Forget the suspension, your weight is not really an issue for an FZ6.... However, at 6' 7"... you riding an FZ6 would be like me riding one of those pocket bikes... I think the ergos of the FZ6 may be quite cramped for someone of your height... You are going to seriously dwarf an FZ6....

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Forget the suspension, your weight is not really an issue for an FZ6.... However, at 6' 7"... you riding an FZ6 would be like me riding one of those pocket bikes... I think the ergos of the FZ6 may be quite cramped for someone of your height... You are going to seriously dwarf an FZ6....

I completely agree with Canadian on this. Out of the bikes you listed, I also believe the DL650 would be the way to go for your height.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum and thank you for serving!

The FZ6 is an awesome bike. What ever experience riding you have it would be good to take the MSF course. I was talking to someone today who wants to ride. There is just so much more to the experience than you would ever believe coming into it.

You will probably want to mod the suspension for your weight and mod it for better ergos to match your size. I road with a guys who is at least your height and he was on the FZ6 and rides it well.

Safe home bro! :D

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
That's not a stock fz6 you will find. You will have to convert it... Like I did mine.

Fz1 bars make all the difference.