Fuse Panel Access

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry in advance for asking if this is elsewhere on the forum - I tend to prefer personalized help if possible.

I recently had my brake light/running brake light, turn signals, license plate light, and flashers all stop functioning simultaneously. At first I had only noticed the brake lights (haven't ridden since then); I pulled the lamp and saw both filaments rolling around inside the lamp and assumed this to be the issue. After replacing the brake light, I noticed the running filament is not illuminating unless I am depressing the brake lever or pedal. This is also when I observed the license plate light, turn signals, and flashers not functioning.

My first assumption is the fuse. Because both filaments of the brake lamp were severed, I fear the cause of the opened fuse may have also damaged the lamps, possibly indicating an underlying issue. Without taking too many steps forward, I had hoped to check the fuse first off.

This is where I feel ashamed to have to post - after 5 years of owning the FZ, it is now a realization that I am not nearly as familiar with the configuration of the bike as I would like to be. I lifted the tank and was hoping to find easy access to the fuse panel, which I am having trouble locating.

Can anybody guide me as to where I can locate the fuse panel and how to access it? Pictures would be of tremendous assistance as well. I see a large plastic enclosure under the tank adjacent to the battery, but did not want begin taking this housing apart without knowing what it is. I also do not know if there is a diagram depicting which fuses correlate to which circuits on the bike. Does anybody also know if the brake lights, turn signals, and license plate light are all in series with the same fuse?

I do a great deal of commuting with the steed, so it is not out of the realm of possibliity that rain had worked its way in; 2 days before the brake light was observed, I had ridden through a TORRENTIAL downpour - which is what I am hoping was the cause of the opened fuse/brake light, if this is in fact the issue.

Any help locating the fuse panel, accessing it - depicting this in a photo, or enlightening me as to if the turn signals, license plate light, and running brake light are all tied together on the same fuse - would be of great assistance.

Thanks guys, anything is appreciated.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the seat off and removed the right hand side panel for the fuses.....

Sent from my HTC One on Vodafone 4G using Tapatalk 2

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Lift seat. Remove 10mm bolt on right/throttle side of compartment. Pull off right side pod/fender plastic piece. Those are all the fuses you need to look at. If they are all intact then you have a bigger problem.

7u8asuqu.jpg

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys :shakehead: I feel truly ashamed I had to ask - and that I hadn't looked in the manual first - my copy is floating around buried in my closet somewhere...note to self: find it.

It took all of 5 seconds once I located the fuse - and everything is functioning properly again. I hope it was the rain I had ridden in the prior few days that had caused this. Thanks for helping me find it guys.

It's funny how the tiniest little things feel like such hurdles in the moment, and it is only after the fact that you come to realize it would have taken 5 minutes if one had looked in all the right places.

Anyway, thank you again.:thumbup:

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Good deal. Now stash a couple of spare fuses in that box and let us know if it happens a second time. As many people have noted here before, fuses don't wear out, they fry before more expensive components have a chance to.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Freaky note: My truck kept burning out taillight fuses once. They'd last about 10 minutes. I replaced a few, checked the circuit for continuity to ground, and scratched my head. I eventually noticed that one of my corner lights was out and replaced it, and all was well. Tested the bulb, and it was almost a dead short. How it didn't show up testing the whole circuit, and how a bulb managed to burn out in such a way, I'll never know.

Moral of the story: if confronted with a seemingly unexplainable electrical gremlin, remember, there's an explanation somewhere, it just might be in the randomest, most unexpected place.