Full rain gear, still got soaked!?

kevint567

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has shared a similar experience:

I was returning to Canada from NYC by way of the Palisades Interstate Parkway (stopping at West Point), then across 17 through Binghamton then up through Syracuse.

When I was weaving through valleys on 17, I drove through 4 extremely heavy downpours. I ended up having to stop in Marathon, NY because I was completely soaked (bottom half).

I was wearing Teknic Violator Denims, Joe Rocket Ballistic 10.0 pants (stupid me I left the zip-off panel and rain liner at home! duh!), then on top of that I was wearing a pair of lightweight waterproof rain pants. I also had a pair of Nitro racing boots.

When I removed the rain pants and Ballistic 10.0 pants, my jeans were soaked like I was standing in a almost knee high puddle of water while peeing my pants! I think the rain got pushed up under my riding jacket then back down the front where it made me look like I pissed myself. (Note: I checked, I really didn't piss myself!!).

There are no openings on my rain pants (except for the waist and legs of course), so I couldn't really understand how the water got in.

My feet were also wet! Again the rain probably got pushed up the boots, then back down into them.

I'm considering getting a 1 piece but that can get pretty hot.

Suggestions/comments?

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Most rain gear will either make you die from heat if fully waterproof, or really only be water resistant. Unfortunately, I'm yet to find a comfortable fully waterproof option - if it's lightweight enough to be comfortable but still somewhat hard wearing, it'll usually leak

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
A (quite unsafe) option a friend of mine used to employ was a shirt, shorts, sandals and a big yellow raincoat - the massive plastic ones.

Worked for him, he reckons.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Most rain gear will either make you die from heat if fully waterproof, or really only be water resistant. Unfortunately, I'm yet to find a comfortable fully waterproof option - if it's lightweight enough to be comfortable but still somewhat hard wearing, it'll usually leak

+1. If you ride in heavy rain, you will eventually get wet.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I rode in a downpour I ended up taking off my rain gear. I was sweating more than it was worth and ended up wet anyway. I'd rather be wet from fresh rain than my sweat.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One word: GORTEX

It's expensive, but it can breath. During the summer, if you have decent riding pants with armour, wear shorts.

You can always stop at a truck stop and have something to eat while you throw your clothes/gear in the dryer. Most decent size truck stops will have laundry facilites. Petro, T/A, Flying J.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has shared a similar experience:

I was returning to Canada from NYC by way of the Palisades Interstate Parkway (stopping at West Point), then across 17 through Binghamton then up through Syracuse.

When I was weaving through valleys on 17, I drove through 4 extremely heavy downpours. I ended up having to stop in Marathon, NY because I was completely soaked (bottom half).

I was wearing Teknic Violator Denims, Joe Rocket Ballistic 10.0 pants (stupid me I left the zip-off panel and rain liner at home! duh!), then on top of that I was wearing a pair of lightweight waterproof rain pants. I also had a pair of Nitro racing boots.

When I removed the rain pants and Ballistic 10.0 pants, my jeans were soaked like I was standing in a almost knee high puddle of water while peeing my pants! I think the rain got pushed up under my riding jacket then back down the front where it made me look like I pissed myself. (Note: I checked, I really didn't piss myself!!).

There are no openings on my rain pants (except for the waist and legs of course), so I couldn't really understand how the water got in.

My feet were also wet! Again the rain probably got pushed up the boots, then back down into them.

I'm considering getting a 1 piece but that can get pretty hot.

Suggestions/comments?

I got a nice chuckle out of the wet on the front of you. That must have been a beautiful ride on 17. Of course if the sun was out for any of it. Binghamton is only about 45 mins from where I live. after 17 did you take I-81? If so and if you ever do it again it will obviously take you a little longer but Rte. 11/41 runs parallel to 81 and is a nice ride and in some parts a little twisty.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
One word: GORTEX

It's expensive, but it can breath. During the summer, if you have decent riding pants with armour, wear shorts.

You can always stop at a truck stop and have something to eat while you throw your clothes/gear in the dryer. Most decent size truck stops will have laundry facilites. Petro, T/A, Flying J.

My gortex leaks like a sive in anything we call rain here in florida. Wore it once and took it back. I have fully waterproof gear that I wear over my heated stuff in the winter. Outside of that, I've just learned to live with it in the summer. It's a nice cooling off anyway and if it looks like real rain might be an issue, I pack a change of clothes in my tankbag. It's fully waterproof with the cover over it.

EDIT: Or you could just pack some soap. Saves time when you can shower on the way to work.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2-piece rain suit also eventually lets water in. Keeps me much warmer and dryer than not having that layer on top, so I say it's good enough and worth it.

kevint567

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a nice chuckle out of the wet on the front of you. That must have been a beautiful ride on 17. Of course if the sun was out for any of it. Binghamton is only about 45 mins from where I live. after 17 did you take I-81? If so and if you ever do it again it will obviously take you a little longer but Rte. 11/41 runs parallel to 81 and is a nice ride and in some parts a little twisty.

Yes, 17 was really nice, and I'd do it again, even if it means getting wet. Thanks for the tip on 11/41. I took I-81 and it was boring compared to the road I traveled along prior to NYC (NW Arkansas, Deals Gap, Blue Ridge).

/kevin

kevint567

Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I rode in a downpour I ended up taking off my rain gear. I was sweating more than it was worth and ended up wet anyway. I'd rather be wet from fresh rain than my sweat.

The ride along 17 was a bearable 70, so heat wasn't an issue this time. It actually started to get chilly which was what forced me off the road.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, glad the gortex works for most then. Maybe I just got a bad suit. :don'tknow: That's just my experience.

But yeah, 70F is cold on the highway if it's raining. Particularly if you didn't have the rain suit on before it started raining. I froze my nuts off this morning. It was 68F and the weather report lied something fierce. Halfway to work it started pouring, like someone just dumped a bucket on you. Windchill puts that in the high 50's anyway, then add the rain. Brr. Sunny skies my ***.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Becareful out there when it comes to Gortex, there are gear that advertises Gortex, but the quality and amount will vary. Do your research, it's going to be expensive. If you find it relatively cheap, you have to serously wonder what kind of quality you are getting.

Just like the advertising of Kevlar Jeans, they are not entirely made of Kevlar, just certain areas, maybe 20%.

jaredz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a frog toggs suit that I've had for a while. Ridden in some pretty good down pours. Once for an hour or so of good hard rain on the highway. It's a strange tyvek type fabric and is hotter than sin but I've come out dry on the backside of many rain storms. As far as boots, I work outside so I've always had waterproof boots on, either Georgia Mud Dogs (Great waterproofing. Have stood feet submerged in puddles for long periods of time and have never been wet.) and Rocky Boots (haven't stood submerged in a muddy hole in these yet). I'm looking forward to giving the frog toggs suit a whirl as a layer as it starts cooling off as its completely wind proof. Also come with a packable bag thats also waterproof. I use it for valuables when the suit isn't in it.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
my waterproof boots and gloves gave up the ghost on tuesday on the way to and on the track. Probably riding at high speed through the wet didn't help (more force pushing the water in)

my rainsuit at least kept my leathers dry (luckily it was fairly cool out so i didn't overheat)

i'm going to be investing in some quality goretext textile shortly, if only because it's going to start getting cold and i struggled last year

gloves and boots used a "Hipora" lining, which has been ok for the past year and a bit.