Full Insurance recommendations? (Besides State Farm)

GTHappy

Reaction score
Visit site
My girlfriend laid her R6 down about a month ago and although it wasn't totaled, repair estimates for it came out to almost $5000. (Mostly broken plastic and a couple stays.) This coupled with her previous bike being stolen last year and a collision in her car at the beginning of this year has prompted State Farm to drop her motorcycle coverage come June.
Any recommendations for an insurance company besides State Farm?
She outright owns the bike and will want full coverage. Not looking for cheap insurance to satisfy legal requirements, but a company will be there if something happens.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Progressive and they handled my previous bike claim beautifully. Really worked with me to find the best possible solution. While SF is cheaper, I stayed with Progressive for their service.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dairyland insurance.. wont be cheap if she has those kinds of things on her records, but should be within reason... good luck

GTHappy

Reaction score
Visit site
she ok? $5000 worth of damage sounds a bit serious

She walked away from it and rode it home.
Long story short, she was following me, thought I was going to go through a yellow, gunned it to follow only to realize I had stopped. Locked up the rear tire trying to stop and ended up going past me on my left. The rear tire kicked out to the left, she landed on her right shoulder and came off the bike. After that, the bike high sided and landed on the left side of the tank and proceeded to roll over and come to rest on the right side and slide into the intersection. Scared the $$#@ out of me. I had a total mind melt and tired to duck walk my bike to the side because I couldn't work the clutch I was so befuddled. After she picked herself up, and screamed and threw stuff for a while, she got back on it and rode it home. (We were maybe 5 minutes out from our place.) She was wearing full gear, she always does. .
I took it into the shop a few days later, uncertain of whether it was going to be totaled or not. But, State Farms adjuster decided not to total and to repair it instead. She broke or scratched pretty much every piece of plastic on the bike, the headlights, and the stay that holds them onto the bike.
The $5K includes her new (she got it for Christmas, this was maybe the 3rd time she'd worn it) Arai RX7 helmet, MSRP prices for parts, and labor from the shop for the repair.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I highsided my old bike (ninja 250) and the insurance adjuster gave me the option to repair, total, or partial repair the bike (meaning they would give me 80% of the estimated repair bill and let me do what I wanted).
They also covered up to $1K in aftermarket and gear damage (I got all $1K). I was happy they worked with me as well as they did, I was impressed.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I highsided my old bike (ninja 250) and the insurance adjuster gave me the option to repair, total, or partial repair the bike (meaning they would give me 80% of the estimated repair bill and let me do what I wanted).
They also covered up to $1K in aftermarket and gear damage (I got all $1K). I was happy they worked with me as well as they did, I was impressed.

That's awesome they worked with you like that!!! What ins. co.???

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome they worked with you like that!!! What ins. co.???

I have Progressive and they handled my previous bike claim beautifully. Really worked with me to find the best possible solution. While SF is cheaper, I stayed with Progressive for their service.

:D Adjuster came to my house riding a V-Star.

GTHappy

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently Progressive quoted her $650/month for the equivalent coverage she had under State Farm.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I had Progressive on a Jeep, and a wheel fell off going down the highway. As I was getting it back together on the side of the road so i could get it to the shop, the adjuster showed up to look at it! It was only about 45 minutes after the incident happened, and in a parkinglot!!! I'd use Progressive again in a heartbeat.

Sorry to hear they quoted her so high :( :confused: Sounds like it might be tough to find anybody reasonable after all that...

GTHappy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear they quoted her so high :( :confused: Sounds like it might be tough to find anybody reasonable after all that...

Really sucks because the theft of her other bike was really not her fault, but they had to cut her a big check for it. The car accident was very minor, more the other lady making a big deal out of it. (No damage to my girlfriends car, I had totally forgotten about it until this.) This is her first major incident in three years of riding. (She laid down her 250, but from what I understand, it was a pick it up, brush off the dirt, and keep going kind of lay down.)

I understand where they're coming from because they've already paid out about $13K in the last year for her bikes.

Looks like Geico is going to be getting her business.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Allied for mine (southwest branch of Nationwide). I have comprehensive and it runs me $27 a month. Not sure how much difference it would be for an R6 (the guy who set it up for me rode too, and classified the FZ as a standard or sport-tourer or something instead of supersport like all the Progressive and Geico people had done), but its worth a try, call took about 5 minutes to get everything set up, Geico and Progressive had both wanted about $100 a month for liability only.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I just renewed and paid my Progressive bill for the year. Full coverage was $480 and it's only my second year riding. They are supposedly the best for motorcycles.