Full beam dashlight on but no lights!

sketch131313

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 FZ6.
Apparently this may be a known fault as it has been fixed on the bike before for a previous owner.
When i turn the key on it goes through its usual start up procedure on the dash but the blue full beam warning light stays on all the time and I have no headlights. This means I have no front running light when im riding although the rear light is on as it should be.
The problem started with the fault being occasional but if the lights were turned on then they went out and the blue warning light came on again and after that no front lights.
The bulb is fine and if I remove the headlamp assy and turn the key the start up lights behave as normal and the blue full beam indicator light only comes on when I turn full beam on. When I connect the headlight assy the fault returns.
The previous owner said a garage rectified it in 20 minutes and the jobsheet reads
"Diagnose electrical fault / traced fault back to block connector which had a lot of corrosion / cleaned blocked connector which was under the airbox."
I have checked a number of the connectors but all seem fine, I do ride the bike daily so can understand winter crap getting into everything.
Has anyone got any suggestions which connectors I should be looking at if they have come up against this before.
Thanks
M.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum! since this is your first post!

I don't know if you have a dual headlamp (faired bike) or single headlamp (naked bike) but the wire for low beam will be black with a green tracer and the high beam wire will be a black wire with yellow tracer. Start the bike and test for low beam 12 VDC from the low beam wire using a bare bolt on the engine as the ground. If this works, turn on your high beam and and test the high beam wire the same way using the engine as ground. I think you may see the 12 vdc nominal voltages and if so you've lost the ground path for the lights at the front of the bike. That path may be in the plug assembly that was cleaned/repaired before.
Please let us know how you make out on this. :)

sketch131313

Reaction score
Visit site
isteve - both the same results regardless of whether starting or turning key

motogiro - thanks for that, will try and let you know. It is a single headlamp.

sketch131313

Reaction score
Visit site
Rather than a black with green and a black with yellow I have a yellow, a green and a black.
With engine on I get voltage from the green on low beam and voltage from the yellow when I switch to high beam.
Sounds like you are right with the possible grounding issue. Forgive my naivity with things electrical but where do I find the grounding points? Are there standard locations or how do I trace.
Which is the correct plug assembly I guess im asking. The majority of wiring is wrapped in tape so thouggt id check before diving in and removing the tape!
Cheers.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rather than a black with green and a black with yellow I have a yellow, a green and a black.
With engine on I get voltage from the green on low beam and voltage from the yellow when I switch to high beam.
Sounds like you are right with the possible grounding issue. Forgive my naivity with things electrical but where do I find the grounding points? Are there standard locations or how do I trace.
Which is the correct plug assembly I guess im asking. The majority of wiring is wrapped in tape so thouggt id check before diving in and removing the tape!
Cheers.

A quick way to establish whether the ground is present through the harness is to test the voltage between the black and green wire and the black wire at the headlamp plug. Do the same with the high beam on. Test for voltage between the yellow wire and black wire at the headlamp. If you are seeing 12 volts then both your lamp filaments are open and you need to replace your H4 lamp. If no voltage the you have to trace back....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
isteve - both the same results regardless of whether starting or turning key

Engine must be started for headlamp circuit to be active not just turning the key on unless the headlamp circuit has been modified from stock...