Fuel Stabilizer

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All,
Now that it's almost time to put Mr. Fizzy into hibernation, I was wondering, are there different types of fuel stabilizer depending on whether the engine is fuel injected or not (kinda like dry gas - if the wrong type is used, the "O" rings in the injectors may dry out, or so I'm told).

TIA...

PMS (yes, my REAL initials :eek: :D )

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had pretty good luck running Stabil Marine Formula. It's safe to use in all engines (2 and 4 cycle, auto, marine, cycle and so on). The Marine Formula has a higher concentration of cleaners and stabilizer to protect your fuel system against fuel deterioration and Phase Separation.

For anyone who doesn't know, most of our new fuel is enhanced with a minimum of 10% Ethanol. Ethanol is hydroscopic and will pull moisture from the atmosphere and condensation from a fuel tank. There is a point where water contaminated fuel becomes saturated and actually causes the ethanol/ water mixture to physically separate from the gasoline. This is called phase separation and is best compared to oil floating on water. You'll see a distinct layer between the two fluids and such separation can cause a host of operational problems with the affected engine.

Long story short, the Stabil Marine Formula is supposed to prevent such separation and also preserves stored fuel.

I'm just a consumer, and in no way tied to the sale or manufacture of Stabil.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
I use "Sta-bil" in everything from my 1939 Ford tractor to my '05 Polaris 800 EFI. Never had a gas issue with any. My poor, neglected weed whacker has laid in one spot for over a year & a 1/2 before, started on 2nd pull, with 2 yr old gas. (No- I do not work for Sta-bil!) Good stuff tho... Wish I had a pic for ya..., and remember to fill the tank before storage to help the water condensation gremlins away!

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
and you should also use a trickle charger to maintain the battery, if it just stays in there the battery will die out, with the trickle charger keeps the battery charging.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok - Mother Nature showed a taste of winter today... Guess the riding days are coming to a close. I will be adding some Seafoam to the tank for winter storage and had couple questions for you folks since this is all new to me.

#1. If the bike is stored in a warm garage - and run only periodically - will you need to keep a trickle charger on it?

#2. Can you just pull the battery from the bike? And if that battery is stored in the house and kept warm all winter, will you still need to trickle charge it?

Any other things I will need to do? Thanks!

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
(1st) question is no unless you ride it around for about 1-2 hours that will charge it, if you just start it up it won't recharge and the same goes for the second question. Put the STA_BIL for the gas but buy a trickle charger and that will charge the bike until riding season starts again.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Ummm...I think this has been covered before but I believe you may want a battery maintainer not a trickle charger...IIRC, there is a difference. I have a maintainer with harness ready to go :thumbup:

At any rate, I have a c$%pload of Sta-bil (or however that's sMelled I mean sPellled :rof:) which I can use. I was just a little concerned that it might dry out the injectors like using the wrong type of dry gas will do. Thanks to all who replied :rockon:

PMS

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I must get out more often or hang out with different folks. I have not previously heard of Sea Foam and from what I read on the net, others have good words on this product. I think I'll try this instead of Sta-bil...?

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used Seafoam before as a fuel system cleaner but I never knew it worked as a fuel stabilizer as well - is there a special kind of Seafoam for this or just the regular 1950's looking can?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I also use Seafoam, but I use it in my 2 cycle V6 Mercury 225 EFI outboard engine. I use it to help control carbon deposits and keep the fuel injectors clean. Seafoam does have fuel stabilizer properties, and I use it in conjunction with Stabil to protect the 52 gallons of gas sitting over the Winter in my boat.

Seafoam and Stabil are both excellent products, and it certainly can't hurt to run them at the same time.